T-Mobile overseas costs

Oscar71
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all

Just a bit of info, maybe new info maybe not.

I have just been to Turkey for a holiday :-) Whilst there I made sure I had turned of mobile data roaming (didn't need it on as had wifi).

But here is the pinch... I have been billed for calls I didn't make ... let me explain.

I have a call reject list (several DCA numbers). Anyway, when you have call reject on the calls do not show on my phone (Galaxy S2) they go straight to voicemail (vm). This is fine whilst in UK because calls diverted to vm don't get charged, you will only be charged 10p to listen to your vm.

However, go abroad outside of EU (Turkey is in band 5 - the highest) and unless you switch of vm and the call reject list before leaving the UK you will be charged, twice usually. Once for the incoming call, even if it is on a reject list and you don't answer and the second charge is for the divert to your mobile. Band 5 = £1.50 for each action.

:jaw:

I have read that even if you switch your mobile on whilst abroad and your phone registers on the local network and you switch it straight of, the network knows you are there and you will get billed even if you receive a call and don't answer it and it doesn't go to vm. This is wrong because you cannot control people calling. It used to be that you only got billed if you answered the call, which you had the choice to do.

Now whilst I am aware of this and even though it is a bit of a rip off, what I don't actually like is if you are pay monthly vm is turned on by default (some people may not know how to switch it off, I always forget) and the serious lack of info about this. I have been looking and I struggle to find much about it, it is usually a round about lot of info (typical for big company t&c's).

Now whilst I say it's a bit of a rip off, I think it is extortionate and I am seriously considering switching networks at end of this contract (are the others any better I wonder). I am seeing some real horror stories on forums. yes I know people should know what they are doing but if the info is buried deep inside contract/t&c's etc it is difficult for people to find it. Call me cynical but that's why there is always so much text in these documents... to confuse the consumer.:-x

The new EU legislation unfortunately only covers usage within the EU, not companies based in the EU charging for out of EU usage.

Anyway as I said earlier, just a bit of info I wanted to share and pass on. I hope I explained it clearly enough.

I would like to hear other peoples views on this regardless of network. Maybe we can get legislation for out of EU usage introduced.

Cheers

Oscar