P45 and housing/council tax benefit

craigers
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner had to leave her job in mid-March this year, due to family illness and childcare issues. I wrote to my local authority benefits section to advise of our change of circumstances, and to ask what documentation was required for reassessing our benefits claim. A good 6 weeks later, after chasing it up, I received a letter stating I had to provide "bank statements, etc", very vague. As we were waiting for my partner's p45, we did not send documentation in. In May I received a letter stating our benefits were being suspended pending receipt of p45, bank statements, etc. In June I received a letter to say our benefits were cancelled.

Now I know I should've taken action sooner, but I've been burying my head in the sand, and have actually been off work through stress, and that's the vicious cycle of debt and poverty.

Despite contacting her old employer several times, and them trying to blame it on their accountant, my partner still hasn't received her p45. What can we do?

Hi, LA's come across these types of situations regularly, had you contacted them, gave them the requestd bank statements and explained that the employer has not provided the P45 despite asking, your benefit would not have been suspended.

the only thing you can do now is to make a new claim, provide all requested documents and explain that the employer has not sent a P45. Give them the employer contact details so that they can call the employer to confirm that your partner is no longer employed if they wish to.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Also, as your previous award has been cancelled, you will need to request backdating if you want to claim for the period between the cancellation and your new claim.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Also, as your previous award has been cancelled, you will need to request backdating if you want to claim for the period between the cancellation and your new claim.

They can request it, but it is highly unlikely to be granted in these circumstances.

They can request it, but it is highly unlikely to be granted in these circumstances.

estellyn

i agree that an application for backdating is unlikely to be successful based upon what craigers has stated, but there is no harm in applying

craigers

benefit is normally only awarded from the monday after you put in a new claim form, so it is important you get a form in as quickly as possible

if you do apply for benefit for an earlier period, there is no guarantee that you will get it backdated - you would need to be able to demonstrate good cause for the delay in claiming. i note you have mentioned being off work with stress, you should explain this if you apply for backdating, also if you can get medical evidence to explain why you were unable to submit form earlier or were having difficulties dealing with your affairs in respect of your earlier claim

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

estellyn

i agree that an application for backdating is unlikely to be successful based upon what craigers has stated, but there is no harm in applying

True, just keeping expections realistic.