Mother Currently Paying DCA - Unsure of debt?

Garage_1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

First time I have posted on this site so sure if this is the right place to post... but need some advice.

I've just found out that my mother has been paying x2 DCA for approx 4 years. The debts are both are about 8-10 years old but she is still paying approx £40 a month to them. One via cheque every month and one by direct debit.

After speaking to her, she is unsure if one of the debts belong to her. I was living aboard at the time and she just got scared by the letters and phonecalls she was receiving. I'd like to help her find out exactly what she owes and put a stop to it all.

So, the question I have is, what should my first step be? Should I send out a CCA letter to both debt agencies and ask my mum to stop paying ASAP until we can determine what we/if we owe them etc? What is the difference between a CCA and a SAR - i.e. should I send an SAR instead?

The debts ( I think) were orginally with RBS and consists of a credit card and loan as an FYI

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

check to see if these show on your mums credit referance file ie. equifax or experian do a free trial period. if these debts do not show up on there STOP PAYING.

some one with more help will give more but it's getting on so maybe in the morning more help will be available.

oh and WELCOME TO CAG

PHOTOBUCKET TUTORIAL IS NOW DONE HERE IT IS

Hi G1

its a diff one to call, the cra will poss give some clues hopefully.

though it could be that they have been defaulted or even CCJ'd more than 6yrs ago and have fallen off.

however, even if there was a CCJ involved, i doubt the DCA got them, more probable the OC

and a straight 'transfer' is not allowed without going back to court.

even if they dca's 'do' produce a CCA, it still doesn't meanthe debts are enforceable.

it might be an idea to get a couple of cra files

and if they dont show - stop paying & await the letters

then comeback here.

just warn your mother about not talking on the phone/not bailiffs etc etc

incase she gets spoofed again.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi, I've just done a credit search on my mother (Equifax) and none of the debts are on the report.

I'm waiting for the pin for Experian account but if they both don't show the debts...should I tell my mum to stop paying and send a CCA Letter? Or because she has been paying them for so long, does that 'prove' she has accepted the debt. Any advice would be most welcomed. Thanks

I don't know old your mother is but have you considered writing to the dcas in question stating you are now acting on behalf of your mother and provide written authorisation.

I did this and explained that due to her age and condition I wouldn't tolerate any harassment . Worked quite well with most.