Jump to content


BankFodder BankFodder


Moving to the US with unsecured debt - what can I do?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2711 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

My situation is that I'm shortly leaving to go and live in the US with my fiance and as such won't have a regular income until I can find a job and she will fully support me on a day to day basis financially. I have the below levels of unsecured debt with my current income I'm struggling to make payments and am in arrears to HSBC for the credit card and have been bumping along at my overdraft limit for years.


HSBC Overdraft £1,000.00

HSBC Credit card £5,538.00

Santander Overdraft £248.08

CapitalOne £1,157.32

Barclaycard £1,168.09


Before I leave I've tried to discuss with PayPlan, CCCS and HSBC themselves about my options for when I don't have income but none have been able to help me as they seem to be focused on the here and now and can't help me with the future despite me knowing the exact circumstances that will arise.


Basically I'm hoping for some advice/best course of action to take. I'll be able to muster together circa £2,000 from my final months salary so could I make full and final settlement offers? Would that be feasible if I explain my situation and with that level of lump sum?


Or in a few months would I be eligible to enter in to a DRO or similar?


Essentially I'd just like some clarifications of what my options are for when I won't have a regular income come November.


Thanks in advance.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

You need to make the creditors aware. Especially if you are applying for a visa or residents visa. The US look down heavily on people coming to live there who are in debt, as they get a hell of a lot of immigrants to their country trying to escape their debts.


If you have kept the debts up to date, your record wont record any adverse credit, and you can move over there. Im not sure, but i think that the debts may be unenforceable while you are over there as they would need to contest jurisdiction and it would cost them a lot. Plus, to bring a court claim against you, the defendant would need to be resident in England or wales at teh start of the claim. If you are in america, then they cant file the claim. However, they can add to your credit record.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..



If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anthrax alert at debt collectors caused by box of doughnuts


Make sure you do not post anything which identifies you. Although we can remove certain things from the site unless it's done in a timely manner everything you post will appear in Google cache & we do not have any control over that.


Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit



17 Port & Maritime Regiment RCT

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...