Moving to the US with unsecured debt - what can I do?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My situation is that I'm shortly leaving to go and live in the US with my fiance and as such won't have a regular income until I can find a job and she will fully support me on a day to day basis financially. I have the below levels of unsecured debt with my current income I'm struggling to make payments and am in arrears to HSBC for the credit card and have been bumping along at my overdraft limit for years.

HSBC Overdraft £1,000.00

HSBC Credit card £5,538.00

Santander Overdraft £248.08

CapitalOne £1,157.32

Barclaycard £1,168.09

Before I leave I've tried to discuss with PayPlan, CCCS and HSBC themselves about my options for when I don't have income but none have been able to help me as they seem to be focused on the here and now and can't help me with the future despite me knowing the exact circumstances that will arise.

Basically I'm hoping for some advice/best course of action to take. I'll be able to muster together circa £2,000 from my final months salary so could I make full and final settlement offers? Would that be feasible if I explain my situation and with that level of lump sum?

Or in a few months would I be eligible to enter in to a DRO or similar?

Essentially I'd just like some clarifications of what my options are for when I won't have a regular income come November.

Thanks in advance.

You need to make the creditors aware. Especially if you are applying for a visa or residents visa. The US look down heavily on people coming to live there who are in debt, as they get a hell of a lot of immigrants to their country trying to escape their debts.

If you have kept the debts up to date, your record wont record any adverse credit, and you can move over there. Im not sure, but i think that the debts may be unenforceable while you are over there as they would need to contest jurisdiction and it would cost them a lot. Plus, to bring a court claim against you, the defendant would need to be resident in England or wales at teh start of the claim. If you are in america, then they cant file the claim. However, they can add to your credit record.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D