• Tweets

• Hi welcome to the Forum.  If a PCN is sent out late ie after the 12th day of the alleged offence, the charge cannot then be transferred from the driver to the keeper.T he PCN is deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch so in your case, unless you can prove that Nexus sent the PCN several days after they claim you have very little chance of winning that argument. All is not lost since the majority of PCNs sent out are very poorly worded so that yet again the keeper is not liable to pay the charge, only the driver is now liable. If you post up the PCN, front and back we will be able to confirm whether it is compliant or not. Even if it is ok, there are lots of other reasons why it is not necessary to pay those rogues. 
    • Hi I received a Parking Charge letter to keeper on Monday 15/04/24, the 17th day after the alleged incident. My understanding is that this is outside the window for notifying. The issue date was 08/04/2024 which should have been in good time for it to have arrived within the notice period but in fact it actually arrived at lunchtime on the 15th. Do I have to prove when it arrived  (and if so how can I do that?) or is the onus on them to prove it was delivered in time? All I can find is that delivery is assumed to be on the second working day after issue which would have been Weds 10//04/24 but it was actually delivered 5 days later than that (thank you Royal Mail!). My husband was present when it arrived - is a family member witness considered sufficient proof? 1 Date of the infringement  arr 28/03/24 21:00, dep 29/03/24 01.27 2 Date on the NTK  08/04/2024 (Date of Issue) 3 Date received Monday 15/04/24 4 Does the NTK mention schedule 4 of The Protections of Freedoms Act 2012?  Yes 5 Is there any photographic evidence of the event? Yes 6 Have you appealed? [Y/N?] post up your appeal] No    Have you had a response?  n/a 7 Who is the parking company? GroupNexus 8. Where exactly [carpark name and town] Petrol Station Roadchef Tibshelf South DE55 5T 'operating in accordance with the BPA's Code of Practice'  
    • lookinforinfo - many thanks for your reply. It would be very interesting to get the letter of discontinuance. The court receptionist said that the county court was in Gloucester 'today' so that makes me think that some days it is in Gloucester and some days its in Cheltenham, it was maybe changed by the courts and i was never informed, who knows if DCBL were or not. My costs were a gallon of petrol and £3.40 for parking. I certainly don't want to end up in court again that's for sure but never say never lol. Its utterly disgusting the way these crooks can legally treat motorists but that's the uk for you. I'm originally from Scotland so it's good that they are not enforceable there but they certainly still try to get money out of you. I have to admit i have lost count of the pcn's i have received in the last 2 yr and 4 months since coming to England for work, most of them stop bothering you on their own eventually, it was just this one that they took it all the way. Like i mentioned in my WS the the likes of Aldi and other companies can get them cancelled but Mcdonalds refused to help me despite me being a very good customer.   brassednecked - many thanks   honeybee - many thanks   nicky boy - many thanks    
    • Huh? This is nothing about paying just for what I use - I currently prefer the averaged monthly payment - else i wouldn't be in credit month after month - which I am comfortable with - else I wold simply request a part refund - which I  would have done if they hadn't reduced my monthly dd after the complaint I raised (handled slowly and rather badly) highlighted the errors in their systems (one of which they do seem to have fixed) Are you not aware DD is always potentially variable? ah well, look it up - but my deal is a supposed to average the payments over a year, and i dont expect them to change payments (up or down) without my informed agreement ESPECIALLY when I'm in credit over winter.   You are happy with your smart meter - jolly for you I dont want one, dont have to have one  - so wont   I have a box that tells me my electricity usage - was free donkeys years ago and shows me everything I need to know just like a smart meter but doesnt need a smart meter,  and i can manually set my charges - so as a side effect - would show me if the charges from the supplier were mismatched. Doesn't tell me if the meters actually calibrated correctly - but neither does your smart meter. That all relies on a label and the competence of the testers - and the competence of any remote fiddling with the settings. You seem happy with that - thats fine. I'm not.    
    • Evening all,   So today, I was sent an updated offer that includes the £12.60 I spent on letters, but they have declined to add the interest at £7.40. They have stating 'We acknowledge your request to claim interest to date, however, this would be at the discretion of a trial judge if the claim did proceed to a trial hearing.' I think I am content with this outcome, and pushing this to a trial for a total interest of £15.30 throughout the claim does not make sense to me.   What are people's thoughts? I am sure our courts have better things to concentrate on?
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

MKDP/Rapid Recoveries debt chasing - failing to fulfill CCA request HSBC loan

eggy1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3839 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, first time posting, hoping to get some help.

Back in 2008 I took out a CC from HSBC, spent a few thousand and soon after defaulted due to redundancy. I think I made 3 payments in total. HSBC chased this debt for maybe a year, but I explained I had zero money and ignored them. The last I heard anything about this debt was some time in 2009.

After 3 years of silence I thought I'd been pretty lucky, I was employed for that 3 year period but no one seemed to be chasing me for this money at all. Around March this year HSBC wrote to me to advise the debt had been passed to MKDP, who also contacted me with demands to set up a payment plan.

This couldn't have been worse timing, as I had been made redundant again a week before. I know that morally I owe this money, and would have began repayment during my employment, but once again I am being hounded for money I do not have. All of my JSA is allocated and I am currently having to live off my thankfully large and up until my redundancy, unused bank overdraft.

So to pay off this debt would only mean getting into more debt. After 6 months of letters MKDP advised they will begin legal procedures if I do not pay up. I sent a CCA request. I know these don't have as much power as they used to, but after reading about how incompetent MKDP are I hoped it would stymie them for a time. They replied today with only a copy of a notice of assignment, the exact thing HSBC sent me back in March when they informed me the debt had been sold.

The letter I sent very clearly stated my request of the CCA. They even cashed the £1 cheque I sent. So I'm hoping for some advice on what to do next. Are MKDP in default for effectively ignoring my CCA request? Should I bring this to the attention of trading standards? Or maybe just re-send the CCA request, with stronger wording? Do I take this as evidence they don't have a copy of the CCA and should now just ignore them?

Thanks for any help.

Write to MKDPs compliance manager thus.

Ref: as on their letter.

Dear Sir or Madam

FORMAL NOTICE OD DISPUTE.

I refer to your letter dated xx xx xxxx received on xx xx xxxx in reply to my lawful request made under sections 77/78 of CCA 1974, as you are well aware the document provided is not anything more than a notice of assignment and can in no way satisfy my request therefore this matter is in dispute and I cannot enter into further correspondence regarding this.

No doubt you are aware of the OFT Guidance regarding the pursuit of properly disputed debts..

I am sending a copy of this letter and your response to the OFT together with my complaint regarding your companys conduct.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

They even cashed the £1 cheque I sent.

Did you sign the cheque?

For future reference use postal orders - there are stories on these boards of DCA's lifting signatures from cheques and letters and putting them on to agreements. I've never seen it happen but that's the word on the grapevine.

No point in sending a cheque if it's not signed.

I agree in all the years I have been dealing with debt/financial problems that''old wives'' tale has been around

and I have never seen it proved.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

NatWest have admitted in writing that customer(s) signature(s) have been forged by their staff, so best not to put temptation in a dodgy creditors way by providing a signature. Although that might not be quite the same as 'photoshop' copy/pasting of a signature, it's best not to assist any possible attempt by giving them your signature so they have something to base their potential 'artwork' on.

Better safe than sorry.

Rob

• 1 month later...

I have an update for you, and require further help. Thanks for all the information and advice that has been posted so far.

Before I had a chance to send the Formal Notice of Dispute mentioned above, MKDP sent me a letter the last of week of September saying they do not have access to the documents I've requested, and will be sourcing them from HSBC shortly.

Today I received a pack with, according to MKDP, "the documents you have requested". These are the last 5 monthly statements that HSBC sent me back in 2008 (May, June, July, September and October - August is missing). There was no copy of the original credit agreement in the pack, and nothing with my signature on it. The majority of the credit card had been used by May, they have for some reason not bothered to send me statements from before May, showing the majority of the accumulation of the debt.

They have also sent a final demand letter, threatening legal action/bailiffs/CCJ etc if I do not pay up soon. I am still unemployed and paying them anything right now would mean using overdrafts or credit cards to do so.

Where do I stand at the moment? Are MKDP in breach of the CCA for not providing the original credit agreement (it's been well over a month since I first requested it). Is there anything more I can do? Or should I just negotiate the smallest monthly payment possible?

Just send this by recorded delivery separately from the complaint.

Ref: as on their letter.

To the Compliance Manager.

Dear Curr bor madman.

I am in receipt of your letter dated xx xx xxxx and have noted the documents enclosed, which appear to be nothing more than statements, as previously stated I do not acknowledge any debt to MKDP and if these documents are intended to represent a compliant credit agreement under sections 77/78 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 I presume you realise that is has no merit what so ever.

Therefore this matter remains in formal dispute, and I am sure you realise that to make threats of court action in this situation is a breach of OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003 up dated October 2011, I will no bother bto quote chapter and verse because if your conduct of this account is typical of the incompetanc of MKDP I sure you will have been told this many times before.

This formal, reasonable dispute is also covered in the Guidance and again I am sure you are fully aware of what is stated there.

No furthe correspondence can be entered into until a compliant/enforceable agreement is produced, meanwhile the conduct of MKDP is to be reported to the OFT immediately.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have another update for you and I'm hoping someone, Mr. Brigadier in particular, can help. Thanks in advance.

MKDP are on to me again after having finally sent a copy of the T&Cs that were used at the time I opened the account. They argued that an exact copy was not needed as per Carey vs HSBC, which I understand is correct.

The thing is, I have since reviewed the account using a credit check and found that I actually opened it in September 2007, not in 2008 as I stated earlier. I know that I didn't make very many payments on the account at all, and that it defaulted a year later in September 2008. My credit file though does not state what payments I did or did not make. The entry of the agreement on my credit file has been done by MKDP as far as I can see. The section "Date Last Delinquent" has been left blank. If I opened the account in September 2007, then as per Limitations 1980 the debt will become unenforceable in the next 2-5 months, depending on when my final payment was (to be honest, it may be the case that I never made any payments at all).

So, I'm wondering if an SAR letter to MKDP will reveal when I actually made the final payment? If it is the case that I never made a payment after opening the account, does that mean that the 6 year limitation starts from September 2007 (I have never had a CCJ or court related action for this account, and I have not acknowledged the debt in any of my correspondence with MKDP)? Or are transactions that I used the credit for counted as well?

If MKDP do not have any records of when the last payment I made was (previous statements they've sent me only go as far back as May 2008), how do they know, indeed how does anyone know, when exactly the 6 year limitation starts from? Will an SAR reveal this? If not, what is the next best step?

Hi, reading through this thread I agree a SAR is your best course you really need to be certain of the payment dates, however can you tell me what the default date is on the credit files please?

We may be able to draw a conclusion from that as to when the last payment was made.

Default date is down as 28/09/2008. Account opening is 16/09/2007. There is a "Date Updated" as well, down as 23/02/2012. I believe this is when MKDP bought the debt.

So approx. a year from inception the account goes into default, if you only made for example 3 payments and then ceased to pay completely I would expect a default on or around March/April 2008 and possibly earlier if you made fewer or no payments at all.

So a SAR is most important now, use the template from the CAG library, send a cheque or Postal Order for the statutory fee, mark both front and back of cheque/PO 'For Statutory Fee only''. They have 40 calendar days to comply, address to the Compliance Manager, send by recorded/signed for post.

I know from the statements they sent me that no payments were being made by myself as early as May 2008. The thing is, the account in question was a credit card. The May 2008 statement identifies the point that the amount I was borrowing went above the agreed credit limit. Before May 2008, I'm unsure if I was in breach of anything as I was under the credit limit, and it's possible that payments were not necessary before then (there may have been some sort of 6 month "pay later" period to start with, it was quite a "high level" CC). So it may be possible that I made no payments, but they did not start warning me of missed payments until May 2008, and then defaulted the account 4 months later.

Regardless, I'll get the SAR sent off as I'm only theorising!

Just wanted to check something else quickly. Most posts I see here re: SB accounts, the circumstances are that dodgy companies contact people well after the 6 year period. If during my discussion/correspondence with MKDP, the 6 year limit expires, can they claim any concession due to the fact that they first contacted me whilst the debt was enforceable, and it only became unenforceable due to the amount of time it took them to get the information I requested? Or is the onus on them to be speedy about such things? It took them half a year to supply me with the T&Cs!

Hi eggy,

Make sure you specifically request statements of the account from inception to closure.

Also any written contact with MKDP/Rapid should contain the phrase '' This communication is NOT admission of any liability to MKDP'' somewhere in the text, this includes the SAR.

As to acknowledgment of debts The OFT Guidance on Debt Collection 2003/2012 Appendix B is clear that any admission of liability is achieved in the following ways:

ANY payment by the debtor/or his representative at any time in the six year period and or unequivocal written admission that a liability still subsists.

• 3 months later...

Hello again.

MKDP have got back to my data request. The extent of the data they apparently hold on me is the T&Cs for the CC, and the May-Sept 2008 statements they originally sent me a year ago. Other than that, just some brief data entries detailing when they've received correspondence off me or tried my phone etc.

So, no new statements and no further information regarding when the date of first delinquency might be. To reiterate, the statements they do have make clear no payments were made during that period, thus the date of first delinquency must be between Sept 2007 and April 2008. Obviously, we are now in that ball park. Also, the entry on my credit file for this debt has no entry in the "date of first delinquency" field.

So, how to proceed? If neither party can demonstrate when we are 6 years past the date of first delinquency, when it's possible that it has already past, what happens? It was a long time ago, but I honestly don't recall making any payments at all for this account. Could I not send them a standard statute barred letter, expressing my belief that we are at least 6 years and 1 month passed the first delinquency date, and that I have no intention of paying the debt?

Would they then have to prove otherwise? Or does providing proof fall to me? The data entries on their system reveal they requested "statements" from HSBC last year when I requested documents then, and that is all HSBC sent them. So it's possible even HSBC do not have statements older than May 2008.

Any ideas? Thanks again in advance!

Hi, yes a statute barred letter carefully worded so as not to mention any dates, e.g. 'Having checked my credit history I have concluded that this alleged debt is statute barred therefore I will not make any payment'.,

MKDP is reminded that should it dispute the status of the alleged debt that the onus of providing unequivocal proof that it is not statute barred falls entirely upon MKDP.

I therefore consider this matter closed.

Send by recorded/signed for post and check date received.