• Tweets

• Yep, I read that and thought about trying to find out what the consideration and grace period is at Riverside but not sure I can. I know they say "You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is"  but I doubt they would disclose it to the public, maybe I should have asked in my CPR 31.14 letter? Yes, I think I can get rid of 5 minutes. I am also going to include a point about BPA CoP: 13.2 The reference to a consideration period in 13.1 shall not apply where a parking event takes place. I think that is Deception .... They giveth with one hand and taketh away with the other!
    • Six months of conflict have also taken a heavy economic toll.View the full article
    • the Town and Country [advertisments ] Regulations 2007 are not easy to understand. Most Council planing officials don't so it's good that you found one who knows. Although he may not have been right if the rogues have not been "controlling" in the car park for that long. The time only starts when the ANPR signs go up, not how long the area has been used as a car park.   Sadly I have checked Highview out and they have been there since at least 2014 . I have looked at the BPA Code of Practice version 8 which covers 2023 and that states Re Consideration and Grace Periods 13.3 Where a parking location is one where a limited period of parking is permitted, or where drivers contract to park for a defined period and pay for that service in advance (Pay & Display), this would be considered as a parking event and a Grace Period of at least 10 minutes must be added to the end of a parking event before you issue a PCN. It then goes on to explain a bit more further down 13.5 You must tell us the specific consideration/grace period at a site if our compliance team or our agents ask what it is. 13.6 Neither a consideration period or a grace period are periods of free parking and there is no requirement for you to offer an additional allowance on top of a consideration or grace period. _________________________________________________________________________________________________________________So you have  now only overstayed 5 minutes maximum since BPA quote a minimum of 10 minutes. And it may be that the Riverside does have a longer period perhaps because of the size of the car park? So it becomes even more incumbent on you to remember where the extra 5 minutes could be.  Were you travelling as a family with children or a disabled person where getting them in and out of the car would take longer. Was there difficulty finding a space, or having to queue to get out of the car park . Or anything else that could account for another 5 minutes  without having to claim the difference between the ANPR times and the actual times.
    • Regarding a driver, that HAS paid for parking but input an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number.   This is an easy mistake to make, especially if a driver has access to more than one vehicle. First of all, upon receiving an NTK/PCN it is important to check that the Notice fully complies with PoFA 2012 Schedule 4 before deciding how to respond of course. The general advice is NOT to appeal to the Private Parking Company as, for example, you may identify yourself as driver and in certain circumstances that could harm your defence at a later stage. However, after following a recent thread on this subject, I have come to the conclusion that, in the case of inputting an incorrect Vehicle Registration Number, which is covered by “de minimis” it may actually HARM your defence at a later stage if you have not appealed to the PPC at the first appeal stage and explained that you DID pay for parking and CAN provide proof of parking, it was just that an incorrect VRN was input in error. Now, we all know that the BPA Code of Practice are guidelines from one bunch of charlatans for another bunch of charlatans to follow, but my thoughts are that there could be problems in court if a judge decides that a motorist has not followed these guidelines and has not made an appeal at the first appeal stage, therefore attempting to resolve the situation before it reaches court. From BPA Code of Practice: Section 17:  Keying Errors B) Major Keying Errors Examples of a major keying error could include: • Motorist entered their spouse’s car registration • Motorist entered something completely unrelated to their registration • Motorist made multiple keying errors (beyond one character being entered incorrectly) • Motorist has only entered a small part of their VRM, for example the first three digits In these instances we would expect that such errors are dealt with appropriately at the first appeal stage, especially if it can be proven that the motorist has paid for the parking event or that the motorist attempted to enter their VRM or were a legitimate user of the car park (eg a hospital patient or a patron of a restaurant). It is appreciated that in issuing a PCN in these instances, the operator will have incurred charges including but not limited to the DVLA fee and other processing costs therefore we believe that it is reasonable to seek to recover some of these costs by making a modest charge to the motorist of no more than £20 for a 14-day period from when the keying error was identified before reverting to the charge amount at the point of appeal. Now, we know that the "modest charge" is unenforceable in law, however, it would be up to the individual if they wanted to pay and make the problem go away or in fact if they wanted to contest the issue in court. If the motorist DOES appeal to the PPC explaining the error and the PPC rejects the appeal and the appeal fails, the motorist can use that in his favour at court.   Defence: "I entered the wrong VRN by mistake Judge, I explained this and I also submitted proof of payment for the relevant parking period in my appeal but the PPC wouldn't accept that"   If the motorist DOES NOT appeal to the PPC in the first instance the judge may well use that as a reason to dismiss the case in the claimant's favour because they may decide that they had the opportunity to resolve the matter at a much earlier stage in the proceedings. It is my humble opinion that a motorist, having paid and having proof of payment but entering the wrong VRN, should make an appeal at the first appeal stage in order to prevent problems at a later stage. In this instance, I think there is nothing to be gained by concealing the identity of the driver, especially if at a later stage, perhaps in court, it is said: “I (the driver) entered the wrong VRN.” Whether you agree or not, it is up to the individual to decide …. but worth thinking about. Any feedback, especially if you can prove to the contrary, gratefully received.
    • Women-only co-working spaces are part of the new hybrid working landscape, but they divide opinion.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

car dealer lied about car service history

fleur135
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there, wondering if anyone could help, its a bit long winded so i apologise... my story starts from the 21st April 2012,

We live in essex and we decided to purchase a car from morecombe, yes i know before you say why so far away, well there was such a big difference in the mileage to what we could get in essex for the same price. Well getting back to my tale. before we arrange to the collect this car we asked the salesman if possible as we we're driving such a long way could he please check all the standard things like oil, water, tyre pressure...blah blah.. which he agreed. This car apparently was and excellent example of mazda 6, due to its extensive full mazda service history. and all the other peaks you would expect from a car only a few years old. Well my husband drove up on the 21st april this year to collect the vehicle and we part ex our old car. Everything was fine for the first 150miles car drove lovely, until all the warnin lights came on and broke down, we contacted the car dealer and he explained it must of been something the mazda garage had done whilst it was in having a health check done the day before. he said to drive home and he would get it sorted... well when my husband arrived home we started looking into this car a bit further, we had already checked before we brought the car that it hadn't been involved in any accidents or claims bblah blah, that was fine, But when we started to look through the paperwork we found out this car had never been to a mazda garage for a service ever, and had very limited service history with it. We found this out as we contacted a mazda garage near us.... well we decided as the car had broken down, and we since have found out that the car wasn't taken in for a health check it was taken it to have some faults corrected on the vehicle... second lie... we are at present going through the legal route as we asked for a full refund on the vehicle, we even said at our own cost we would have to the car delievered as it is undriveable.. we have now got to the stage where he didn't reply to the first court letter hence judgement was made in our favour, he has since replied to court after receiving the judgement papers and explained funny enough he didn't receive them first time around we go to court next month for him to try and overturn the judgement, to be honest i'm so tired of this now, i'm not going to give up, but with all the garbled information i have given you do you think we have a good chance of getting our money back. as far as we're concerned he lied about the service history and the condition of the car... please any advive would be great...i think sometimes i get slightly lost in this process...and would like to hear other peoples thoughts.. thankyou in anticipation.

Hi there, yes its to do with the dpf light, we since found out that when the car dealer took it to the mazda garage up north they had to do a regeneration which really as the mazda garage near us told us that with all the miles we done this should have fixed the problem but it hasn't, they believe the problem could be a number of tings costing into the £1000's, they explained to us that we would be better of trying to get our money back. we also found out the car had a hole in the sump.....

If the defendant dealer is a Limited Company, I'm sure you can have any hearing at your local court.

Keep a record of all you have spent on the mater and cost your time spent dealing with court papers at £9.25 per hour.

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

thats excellent, yes he is a limited company, and yes we have kept every piece of paperwork, and everytime we sent a letter to him we sent it recorded. its just the time it drags on for, at the moment the said car is on our friends driveway as we declared it sorn, also we don't have a driveway. we also had to buy another car in the mean time just so we could get to work, so hence more money paid out... thanks for the feedback.

have you got the actual description in the add? which confirms it was misdescribed, was the mileage correct and checked with previuos MOT's?

How did you pay, cash or cc?

As it was adealer, the car must be foi for purpose!

What was the response to you saying you would take it back?

Did they offer to look at it and put the things right? distance is irrelavant.

thats excellent, yes he is a limited company, and yes we have kept every piece of paperwork, and everytime we sent a letter to him we sent it recorded. its just the time it drags on for, at the moment the said car is on our friends driveway as we declared it sorn, also we don't have a driveway. we also had to buy another car in the mean time just so we could get to work, so hence more money paid out... thanks for the feedback.

Apparently I got it wrong. Its some time since I had any claims in the Small Claims and it appears that the Litigant in Person rates have increased:

http://www.thomas-legal.com/updates-to-the-civil-procedure-rules/

Take a look at the last section in the link.

Which court deals with the case

Any money claim must be issued at the County Court Money Claims Centre. Other cases can be issued in the local county court.

The court will then transfer the case automatically to the defendant’s nearest county court if:

• the case is defended, and
  • the claim is for a fixed amount, and
  • the defendant is an individual, not a company.

In other cases, either party can ask for the case to be transferred to another county court.

Edited by dw190

PUTTING IT IN WRITING & KEEPING COPIES IS A MUST FOR SUCCESS

yes i've got the orignal add, and yes it confirms alot of lies he made about the vehicle..... with regards to the mileage i also had concerns but i managed to contact the previous owners that confirmed the mileage, which at least gave me some comfort. The car dealer actually said to us, "you've got no chance of ever getting your money back from me" nice guy. he did say he would repair the vehicle so we took it to our local mazda, to see what was wrong with the vehicle. my husband then called the car dealer and passed him onto the mazda mechanic who explained what was wrong and what needed to be done and the car dealer went on to say, they can F**k o** and pay for the repairs themselve...once again nice guy...in letters that followed he has never once reconized our concerns over the service record, he has always ignored this question and only ever written " i have the right to repair" which to honest doesn't cover the fact that the vehicle is worth less now due to it having NO mazda service history with...one of our main reasons for purchasing the vehicle in the first place.....oh and with regards to payment, we paid on our debit card, but the bank wasn't interested... i did ask them but they said we couldn't claim...the reason was very vage......i'm with barclays

Edited by fleur135

Are you still using the car?? If you are then it could be game over and depends on your resolve.

There was a classic case of this with a Mazda on this same forum which ended up in big time tears.

Mazda 6 Diesel cars are known for this issue. If the DPF is knackered your trip from Morecombe to Essex will not re-generate it and a forced regen is pointless.

If you are still using the car then ensure you check the engine oil level on a regular basis i.e. once a week as if not regenerating it will rise and cause the car at some point to run away i.e. start feeding off it's own increased oil level and there is bugger all you can do to stop it.

The good news is that even on this forum there should be sufficient evidence to show that the fault has been there since the day the car was made though proving it will be difficult. One of the cars was in Essex as well and has its own web site.

no we stopped using the car the minute we brought it home, the only journey we made was to the mazda garage 2 miles away and they said not to drive it anymore...so we went with their advice...... and yes our card does carry the visa logo...

If you have tried your bank then thats about it if not interested in helping, except to complain to visa, in the USA, they may be able to put some pressure on the bank to help! It is not a legal route though, just a worded agreement between visa and the banks that use it, that you can ask your bank to help! whatever that means.Now if you had used your credit card that would have different as they are legally liable.