Am I eligible for Community Care Grant/Loan

Marco73
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4228 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone, I am urgently looking for help/advice about whether or not I am eligible for a grant.

I am currently on contribution based ESA and living in an emergency housing hostel and have been for the past month. Previously, I have been sofa surfing since January due to splitting with my partner. I have managed to find a property, the cost of which is Local Housing Allowance + £10 per week from my benefit. The problem is that because the place is unfurnished I have no money to buy bed, cooker, decorating, etc. I plan to have my 2 year old son at weekends but obviously can't if I am unable to furnish and decorate the place. I called into the local job centre and was told I wasn't eligible for any help because I am not on income related benefit.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Have you tried to claim income based ESA? it can be claimed at the same time as contribution based ESA and is not time limited. It is means tested so if you have low income and savings you are likely to get it, they just pay the one amount but it gives underlying access to things like free dental treatment as well as, perhaps, helping with eligibility for community care grant.

Have you tried to claim income based ESA? it can be claimed at the same time as contribution based ESA and is not time limited. It is means tested so if you have low income and savings you are likely to get it, they just pay the one amount but it gives underlying access to things like free dental treatment as well as, perhaps, helping with eligibility for community care grant.

I initially claimed JSA back in January and was told that it would be contribution based. I have a long history of depression and the split from my partner and son hit me hard. Subsequently, i slipped into a depressive mood and then in May this year my doctor signed me off sick and so I then had to claim ESA which is also contribution based. Would the benefits agency refuse a new claim for income based ESA because I have paid enough NI. Also, wouldn't I have to be on income based for a period of time before I am eligible for any community care grant?

From what you said in your first post I thought it might be the case that your income, other than ESA, would be below the required amount.

They always award contribution based benefits first, if eligible. I know this from first hand experience with a relative who is now on BOTH contribution and income based ESA concurrently (not paid double just an underlying entitlement to income based is now recognised for him) as he applied as soon as he was told about contribution based being awarded. He has only DLA as additional income over and above the ESA and no savings so if it is your only income, and I gather you have little or no savings (othewise you would, presumably, be using them for the things you need in the new home?) then I believe you would qualify.

If you are eligible for an income based benefit then I do not see why Community Care grant would not be at least a consideration but also know they are very strict about how much is awarded and in what circumstances. I work on the principal "if you don't ask you won't get" with things that "should" be allowedand from what you say you do not have a lot of options.

Have you looked into Budgeting loans? The problem with them is they have to be repaid and are not, in my experience, for such large amounts but again worth trying.

Have you spoken to Welfare advisors or CAB about any grants that may be around?

What about trying things like Freecycle?

Edited by Slatted

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated.

Slatted; I was also told that the criteria for budgeting loans is the same as applying for communtiy care grant!!

Ridiculous is the system. I am not eligible because I have worked and paid into the system!!

Like you said Slatted, you don't ask, you don't get, so I've sent the form off anyhow.

I won't hold my breath though i will update my post no matter what the outcome.

Again, thanks guys.

Some passported benefits require only underlying entitlement to a benefit. Some require the person to be in receipt of the benefit. To be eligible for the CCG or the BL, the person must be in receipt of an income related benefit payable by the DWP. Underlying entitlement does not cover eligibility. It is true that a person can be in receipt of both CB and IR ESA simultaneously (and CB or IB JSA) - however this is only the case where the contributory element of the claim is insufficient for the amount the law says a person needs to live on.

For example, if a couple were to claim JSA, him having sufficient contributions to qualify for CB JSA but his partner having no contributions, and no other income or capital, the contributory part of the claim would be £71 per week and the IB part of the claim would be £40.45 per week. They would be in receipt of IB JSA and thus eligible to claim a CCG. If however a person was claiming JSA as a single person and was receiving CB JSA at £71 per week with no other income/capital he would have underlying entitlement to IB JSA however he would not be in receipt of IB JSA thus would not be eligible for a CCG.

For a BL the person must have been receiving a qualifying benefit for 26 weeks or more. There is no such timescale for a CCG, a person can claim no matter how long they have been receiving a qualifying benefit and in the case of prisoners being released into the community, they do not need to be in receipt but likely to be in receipt within 6 weeks.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

Which form did you send? I meant that you apply for income based ESA to be included in your claim....

And Erika, how does this effect the person I know who is awarded "both"? His is separated and has no savings....He was allowed to claim free dental treatment and is being told to go for CCG as may have to move out of temporary accommodation.