Jump to content

Signing off for temp work

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4283 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

I have been offered some temporary contract work which will last about two months starting November.


I have been claiming JSA, HB and CTB for about 18 months.


£1250 will be paid at the back end of November (about a month into the contract) and the remainder of £1500 will be paid at the end of December.


What payments will I be entitled to during this period? I will probably be signed off for a month before my first payment (so no income).


Would I be entitled to any working tax credits (I am single, no children)?


I will be self employed, will I have to pay tax/NI on these two payments (my earnings for the tax year with benefits will be low)?


If after those 2 months I am still unemployed can I do a rapid resign? Would it also be rapid for the HB?


Thanks in advance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are going to be self-employed you will need to register as such - contact HMRC. However, it is often the case that people are told they will be self-employed, when they are in fact employees, so do check with HMRC and the employer what exactly your status will be (they can't pretend one or the other, there are rules that apply).


If you are self-employed, and registered as such, you will do a self-assessed tax return, and may be entitled to tax credits. You will need to contact the tax credits office for assistance with claiming if you are entitled.


If you have been unemployed for six months or more, you may be entitled to an additional payment from the benefits agency for getting back into work. You may also be entitled to some housing benefit, since this is paid in arrears. You will need to contact the benefits agency and the housing benefit office.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...