style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4026 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

That is the normal response from the council you do not have to deal or speak to the bailiff

there is really nothing the bailiff can do without a levy he cannot send you to prison break in or anything

When he turns up if it is raining just wave to him through the window if need be:razz:

He he! there's just one potential spanner in the works.. would they still try and levy my car if I've paid them and written to tell them of my intention to pay the council? I have to park in front of my house and there's nowhere to hide my car.

council cannot refuse internet bacs read my post.

dx

I did read it, thanks for the advice. As per my post to IHB.. I just have a final worry about Newlyn trying to levy on my car once I've told them what I'm doing. Do you know if they can try to do that?

I did read it, thanks for the advice. As per my post to IHB.. I just have a final worry about Newlyn trying to levy on my car once I've told them what I'm doing. Do you know if they can try to do that?

The car will be at risk unless there is finance or HP on it

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

The car will be at risk unless there is finance or HP on it

So if I've paid their charges, and have started to pay the council, how could they legally levy my car? and how long would I have to wait before they give up?

if you continue to pay the bailiffs i would be certain they will charge you more than they should with there hidden charges

The car is vulnerable to a levy which will increase the debt owed to bailiffs and they will be looking to levy on it all the time it is on show to them

Are you in a position to pay the full balance off? if so do it direct to the council along with bailiff fees that way liability order is satisfied and bailiffs can do no more

OR

park the car away from property/garage it whatever until bailiffs give up wilst maintaining payments to council, it takes a little wile but the do give up as been there myself:oops:

• 3 months later...

Hi all,

Would be grateful for some help on this.

I returned home from work last night to find a notice from Newlyns to say they had visited to collect @£500, and that a van had been booked. The notice wasn't in an envelope, and had notes like 'THE VAN HAS BEEN BOOKED' hand written on it in capitals. Nice and threatening.

This visit seems to refer to an outstanding council tax debt which I have already agreed a repayment schedule with Newlyns and have been paying on time - apart from one payment which was 24 hours late because their website was faulty. At that time they didn't want to accept their website wss to blame, said I had broken the agreement and that bailiffs would return. They did, but after a while they stopped coming when they couldn't get hold of me so I presumed they had bigger fish to fry and left me alone because all other payments had been on time.

On this occasion I have received no communication to explain why the bailiffs have returned. It has come totally out of the blue - it seems like Newlyn have simply changed their minds.

Has anyone had experience of Newlyn seemingly changing their minds like this?

I guess I should now write to the council and the bailiff, but would be grateful if anyone has some useful 'ammo' I could include in my letter!

Many thanks.

You need to get a breakdown of fees bailiffs have charged as any payments you have paid them would of gone towards there made up fees

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs no locksmith no arrest and they will be taking you as a cash cow

Do bailiffs have a levy if so on what

By making arrangements with the bailiffs if you are a day late or 1 p short they will charge a van attendance fee which is £150-£180

you can make payments DIRECT to the council

Bailiffs lie they have a liability order not a court order or whatever they want to call it

Have they been in your home? do they have a levy on any of your goods? If so can you list the items seized exactly as described on the Notice of Seizure you were left? Have you checked with the Council to see exactly how much you owe? Have you asked the Bailiffs for a breakdown of the fees they have charged to date?

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

They posted a removal notice, stating they are retrieving monies on a magistrates liability order from 2005.

No levy has been made.

The amount they want is exactly the same as the amount currently outstanding on the agreement I made with them approx 6 months ago, which is why it seems they have changed their mind and no longer want installments. But neither Newlyn or the council have communicated that to me.

.. and can they still chase a 7+ yr council tax debt so aggressively?

No, they have never been inside my home, but they used the old 'goods may be removed in your absence' threat.

As you'll see from my reply above, my query is why they are now trying to collect the full amount without any communication with me to tell me of their intentions, so I'm wondering if they're allowed to do that.

The removal notice is standard letters

Bailiffs collecting council tax have no right of entry no locksmith no nothing

Magistrates liability order again to make you scared :behindsofa: millions of liability orders are issued every year

get breakdown from bailiffs and council

Keep bailiffs out deny them a levy tuck car away

you can pay council direct

Thanks IHB,

I have nowhere to move my car to, which is why I am worried sick. When they first started chasing this debt, the bailiff hid behind a bush and jumped out when I went to work. I hate the idea of being a prisoner in my own home again.

I guess if there's no advice to be had about Newlyn's apparent change of mind I'll have to fire off letters and hope for the best.

The bailiffs have never been into your home therefore charging a van fee to remove nothing?

Leaving a car on the drive way is a open invitation for a levy so parking it away from the house is a must

I would suggest you make payments direct to the council

There is no right of entry for the bailiffs no locksmith

You do not need to deal with them and will be breaking no law by dealing with the council

Bailiffs lie ignore the door or wave to him through the window:razz:

There is no mention of a van fee on this notice - they are now asking for the full amount oustanding - £558.00 but they agreed my installment plan 6 months ago. That is what I'm asking for help with.

.. and I'm not joking when I say there is nowhere else for me to park my car. I don't live in a town.

I wish I was brave enough to wave through the windows!

ok but paying money direct to bailiffs they will deduct there fees before passing it on to the council

there will be made up fees as well as there processing fee

get the correct figure from the council as will be different to bailiffs figure

Thanks again, but I checked all the fees when I negotiated the monthly instalments.

I want to know why Newlyn will no longer accept my instalments.

They haven't written to me to advise of any reason,

so in my original posting I was asking if this had happened to anyone else!

Have a read of a few threads you will see it has happened to many

if you want to deal with the bailiffs it is up to you but you will get stung by there fees

there is no law that states that you have to deal with the bailiffs providing they are deny a levy they are fairly powerless

there is no reason to pay council tax to a bailiff

As the bailiffs are being difficult more reason for you to pay the COUNCIL DIRECT

write to the council TELLING them that you are now going to pay the council direct at £x amount per week

as there agent wont accept payments

There is many people who have been fleeced by bailiffs and you may be another at this rate!

Ok - will do.

Thanks for the advice.

By the way - my car has been levied in connection with another council tax debt, (have raised a separate thread).

What power does that give the bailiff?

does it stay in place until the debt is paid - presuming I'm allowed to pay in installments?