Provident debt collector doorstep visit for a non provident debt?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4193 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

Im a little curious for any advice or knowledge from others in the same situation.

Whilst I was not at home today a person knocked my door. He told my husband he worked for provident and he has bought one of my debts and would like to speak to me about repayment. My husband asked to make sure if this was a debt that I had with provident and the man said no it wasnt.

About two weeks ago a provident advert card was put through my door with my name on it offering me a £100 loan if I called the number. I have not called them.

I have never dealt with provident in any way.

Can they just buy a debt in this way? I do have a debt with another company but that is one that I disagree I owe and am disputing with them. Something here seems fishy though.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Provident have bought a load of loans (probably for peanuts) and are offering to give you a Provident loan to pay it off. The loans are supposedly interest free but - for example - they probably bought a £100 debt for £5 so will make £95 out of it

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

It is my understanding they cannot encourage you to take out a loan to repay a debt:| It is against OFT guidelines.

It also removes any protection under the CCA1974 for the debt you already have if you enter into a new agreement.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

The debt may be a very old one and therefore statute barred.

A relative was offered a loan for an 8 year old catalogue debt, when the catalogue company had not previously chased for the debt themselves.

Just tell them you are not interested, if they enquire again. You will then hear no more.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

this will be there little spoof called fresh start

just type that in our search top right and get reading.

dont fall for it!!

i've moved this thread to the provi forum too

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

He told my husband he worked for provident and he has bought one of my debts

This is not on either - they should not be discussing your debts with anyone other than you !

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Complaint to OFT on breach of guidance section 3.7 (b) States: Pressurising debtors to raise funds by selling property or taking on further borrowing (including extending existing borrowing).

Improper/unfair business practice.

So contant calls or visits can be seen as pressure a very clear breach.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Get a letter of complaint to them citing breach of the DPA by telling your husband what he was calling for. Mark the letter FORMAL COMPLAINT and ask them to deal with it under their complaints procedure.

Help us to keep on helping

Please consider making a donation, however small, if you have benefited from advice on the forums

This site is run solely on donations

My advice is based on my opinion and experience only. It is not to be taken as legal advice - if you are unsure you should seek professional help.

• 1 month later...

Just as an aside,

Provident CAN offer you a new loan to pay the old one if it is interest free.

Provident loans show up, on your credit file so if you pay back the debt it will be positive information.

However I agree you must check that the debt is valid first.

Additionally I agree that they should not have discussed your affairs with someone else.

But you really need to be sure the debt is unenforceable before telling them 'no'.

its for provi to PROVE the debt is owed

not the punter.

dont fall for the fresh start game

you are then acking the debt.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

provi only ever try it on with lemon debts

no-one e lse will touch with a barge pole.

dont do it!

dx

and they

I'll stick to my opinion the OFT Guidance section 3.7 (b) applies interest free or not.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

Thanks for all the advice.

I do agree with Brigadier, dx and sillygirl.

I have not heard from provident again, so perhaps they have given up.

If they do come back I am not going to agree to have any 'loan' with them though. They will need to have clear proof that there is a debt that is owed and that they have the right to ask for payment and then I would offer some form of payment, but I wont be taking out any loan.

My advice is to totally ignore them again should they come back, the debt may be nearly statute barred and you might get caught in their trap.

Ignore them is the best advice.

Don't ask for information, don't CCA them (they won't have any paperwork so you would be wasting your time) so don't give yourself more hassle.