• Tweets

• I have received a PCN from Euro Car Parks for MFG - Esso Cobham - Gravesend. I was completely unaware that there was any such limit for parking and always considered this to be a service station. I stopped there to use the toilet, have a coffee and made a couple of work calls. I have read the previous topics on this location which suggest I can ignore this and ECP will not take legal action. The one possible complication is that the vehicle is leased by my employer so I do not want to involve them with the associated reminders and threatening letters. The PCN was first issued to the leasing company Arval who have notified ECP of the hiring company. I have attached a copy of the PCN Notice to Hirer with details removed as per instructions. What options do I have or should I just pay the PCN promptly at the reduced rate of £60? img20240424_23142631.pdf
    • What you have uploaded is a letter with daft empty threats from third-party paper tigers.  Just ignore it. What we need to see is the original invoice you received last October or November.
    • Thanks for posting the CPR contents. i do wish you hadn't blanked out the dates and times since at times they can be relevant . Can you please repost including times and dates. They say that they sent a copy of  the original  PCN that they sent to the Hirer  along with your hire agreement documents. Did you receive them and if so can you please upload the original PCN without erasing dates and times. If they did include  all the paperwork they said, then that PCN is pretty near compliant except for their error with the discount time. In the Act it isn't actually specified but to offer a discount for 14 days from the OFFENCE is a joke. the offence occurred probably a couple of months prior to you receiving your Notice to Hirer.  Also the words in parentheses n the Act have been missed off. Section 14 [5][c] (c)warn the hirer that if, after the period of 21 days beginning with the day after that on which the notice to hirer is given, the amount of unpaid parking charges referred to in the notice to keeper under paragraph 8(2)(f) or 9(2)(f) (as the case may be) has not been paid in full, the creditor will (if any applicable requirements are met) have the right to recover from the hirer so much of that amount as remains unpaid; Though it states "if any applicable ...." as opposed to "if all applicable......" in Section 8 or 9. Maybe the Site could explain what the difference between the two terms mean if there is a difference. Also on your claim form they keeper referring to you as the driver or the keeper.  You are the Hirer and only the Hirer is responsible for the charge EVEN IF THEY WEREN'T THE DRIVER. So they cannot pursue the driver and nowhere in the Hirer section of the Act is the hirer ever named as the keeper so NPC are pursuing the wrong person.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Salford City Council - refuse to show council tax rules

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4233 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

For 3 years i have been having problems with Salford City Council regarding Council tax exemptions: ------ repeatedly refusing a Class A exemption on a flat: ----- refusing to visit to see that it was SO uninhabitable it had no internal walls, electrics, plumbing etc ----- refusing to answer questions ----- it took them over a year for them to change their mind - NOT UNTIL AFTER I HAD SOLD THE FLAT ON AT A LOSS DUE TO STRESS - denying any responsibility ------- repeatedly refusing a Class A exemption on a house we bought to do up and move into ----- refusing for over a year ------ refusing to visit to see how bad it was ------ refusing to answer questions ----- TAKING US TO COURT - which was a joke. The council were allowed to withdraw and resubmit - THEY NEVER DID ----- finally granting it ------ DENYING RESPONSIBILITY FOR ALL OUR STRESS ---------- repeatedly refusing Class C exemption on the above house, even though ----- they admit i lived in the house for more than 6 weeks at a time. I MOVED IN DUE TO THE STRESS IT WAS CAUSING ME AND MY WIFE ----- we took our old house off the market because of this - SO THAT WE BOTH HAD SOMEWHERE TO LIVE – so have had to pay another mortgage ----- they insist i have to prove me living at the new house made it my main residence - as my wife still lived at our old house ------ they refuse to answer questions ----- they refuse to show me proof it has to be my main residence ----- they refuse to acknowledge it is the house that should be looked at and not the individual ----- THEY HAVE NOW ISSUED A COURT SUMMONS FOR MYSELF AND MY WIFE --------- I HAVE INVOLVED: ----- COUNCIL TAX STAFF ----- DEPARTMENT MANAGERS ----- COUNCIL DIRECTORS ------ COUNCILORS ----- THE OLD COUNCIL LEADER ----- THE NEW MAYOR ----- MY LOCAL MP ----- AND STILL IT GOES ON ----------- I HAVE HAD TELEPHONE CALLS, MEETINGS, OVER A HUNDRED PAGES OF LETTERS & EMAILS ---------- WE HAVE LOST THOUSANDS OF POUNDS ---------- I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO WORK - AND DO NOT CLAIM A PENNY OFF THE STATE ---------- ME AND MY WIFE ARE BOTH NOW ON ANTI-DEPRESSANTS ---------- ANY IDEAS ????

Edited by EcclesTony

If theres issues of maladministration then you can take it up with the the Local Government Ombudsman (but you need to exhaust the councils own complaints procedure first).

With regards to rules concerning Council Tax the main legislation can be found here

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/14/contents

but there are lots of supplementary regulations and amendments which you may need to search through.

Establishing a person's "sole or main residence" is key part of determining council tax as it will distinguish a property as being some one's main home or a second/holiday home and influence the chargeable amount. You may want to refer to this court case "Cox v London (South West) Valuation and Community Charge Tribunal and Poole

Borough Council Community Charge Registration Officer (1994)" as it may have some relevance to your situation.

Thank you for your advice about the Local Government Ombudsman ------------- According to The Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) Order 1992 ---------The Council Tax (Exempt Dwellings) (Amendment) Order 1993 ------------ The Council Tax (Prescribed Classes of Dwellings) (England) Regulations 2003 ........... Classes A - K variously refer to 'sole or main residence' BUT NOT FOR CLASS C. -------------- information on the Valuation Tribunal website & guidebook also refer to 'former resident' (clarified as sole or main resident) for Classes D, E, F, I, J ..........BUT NOT FOR CLASS C...............Thanks again.

i am having difficulty understanding your post, it might help if you rephrase things

it is difficult to understand which properties, which exemptions and which periods you are referring to

it appears there are 3 properties - a flat, your old house and your new house

the issues with the flat appears to have been dealt with, is that correct?

i think your issue relates to an application for a class C exemption for one of the 2 houses, which property are you attempting to get the exemption for and what period?

during this period, was the property unoccupied and unfurnished? where were you living? where was your wife living?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

For classes D,E,F,I,J a property can remain furnished if the 'liable party' leaves the property unoccupied e.g. Class D if they are detained in prison or under the mental health act.

Class C: a vacant dwelling which has been such for a continuous period of less than six months ending immediately before the day in question

For Class C the property could theoretically remain your sole or main residence, as it need only be vacant (unoccupied and substantially unfurnished) so this shouldn't present a problem when claiming an exemption.

Ist property, the flat, was EVENTUALLY sorted out. -------------- 2nd property, house we bought to do up and move into is the one we are having problems with Salford Council. --------------------- 3rd property is the one we lived in and wanted to sell ------------ Due to the stress, not a good time at home so i moved into 2nd property by myself on 2 occasions ------------ As per Class C rules, I lived in it for more than 6 weeks at a time each time -------------- tried to claim Class C ---------------- SALFORD COUNCIL AGREE I LIVED IN 2ND PROPERTY TWICE, EACH TIME WAS OVER 6 WEEKS & RULES REGARDING FURNISHED / UNFURNISHED WERE FOLLOWED AS PER CLASS C RULES ---------------- THEY REFUSED TO AWARD IT AS THEY SAID IT WAS NOT MY 'SOLE AND MAIN RESIDENCE', EVEN THOUGH CLASS C RULES DO NOT STATE IT HAS TO BE ------------------------ The rules say it is 'the property not the individual' that should be considered ----------------------- Afraid to sell 3rd property in case problems at home again mean i have to move out again (both now on anti-depressants, not good!) ------------------ costing us money we cannot afford

Okay, let's see if I have got my head round it...

You and your wife normally live at new house

You applied for and received a 6 month class C exemption in respect of old address, this was awarded?

Then when the exemption ran out you moved back in to old address for just over 6 weeks which would restart the clock for a class C exemption

You then moved back in with your wife and re-applied for the 6 month class C exemption, which was refused for some reason unknown?

You moved in to old house for a second time for just over 6 weeks

You then moved back in with your wife and re-applied for the 6 month class C exemption, which was again refused for some reason unknown?

You say that the Council accepts you were at old address for more than 6 weeks on each occasion, do you have anything in writing from them?

Have they given any reason for refusing both your applications?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Me and wife normally live at old house ------------- i lived at new address for over 6 weeks & applied for Class C at new address, still not awarded --------------- after 6 months i again moved into new address for over 6 weeks and then applied for a 2nd Class C, still not awarded --------------------- for each 6 month period i had applied for Class C i lived at old address with wife ----------------- got it in writing from council that they agree i lived at new address for 2 periods of over 6 weeks and complied with unfurnished etc in between --------------- they refused the Class C because they said i had to prove new address was my 'sole or main residence' each time i lived there !!!

Not yet ------------------ Salford did the same thing twice with Class A exemptions, refusing for over a year each time with wrong reasons and then EVENTUALLY granting them -------------- i assumed they would realise they were AGAIN wrong and award the Class C

I am also waiting for information i have been asking Salford for 3 years before i apply to VT ------------ and for Salford to show me PROOF that their refusal was correct ---------------- Also, this has REALLY knocked us for 6, we are not thinking straight & can't believe Salford can get away with it EVERY TIME

if they are messing you about, you really should go over their head and appeal to VT, no point in waiting for them

The VT is your best bet. For the "6 week rule" to apply the property dose not need to be occupied, let along be your sole or main residence, as long as its fully furnished that should be enough.

That's a matter for debate, the actual wording of the regs states

(2) For the purpose of determining the last occupation day, any period of less than 6 weeks within which the dwelling concerned was occupied shall be disregarded.