Caught Stealing In Primark & Have Phoned RLP

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3085 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello everyone.

A month ago, me and my friend stole from primark. I am extremely ashamed of this and was pushed into doing it, although I take full responsibility for my actions. I took a pair of shorts and my friend took about 5 items. As soon as we put a foot out of the door, we were ushered back in by a security guard and taken to a back room.

The security guard was rude, bullied us and was basically mocking us. We had all our cards photocopied (my friend had his NI number photocopied amongst other things and I had my university card copied) to which i'm not sure is even allowed. After we had given back the Primark items we had stole, we were told to empty all our bags, and to show receipts for other things we had genuinely purchased during the day. The security guy then told us unless we were able to show a receipt for those items that he would keep them. I had lost the receipt for some cream I had purchased and was told that he was going to keep the cream because I probably stole that too. In the end he gave it back, but I did not find that funny. The police were never called.

Anyway, before we were allowed to leave we had to give our address's and was told that we would be fined. Although the security guard rang up both mine and my friends parents, my friend was able to give a fake address to which his mum gave aswell on the phone. Because of this, I have been the only one who has recieved the fine letter.

The letter is from RLP stating that they want a fixed amount of £174.39!!! I was dumbfounded when I saw this as I only took some shorts worth about £12. I'm guessing the fee is so high because of what my friend took. Anyway, being scared, I rang RLP up right away telling them I would pay when I get my student loan, but realistically I cannot afford to pay such amount! I then rang them again a few days ago and told them I can only pay half of the amount and that they should contact my friend for the other amount. The woman then said that even if I pay half I will still receive letters demanding the full amount because of dual liability, she said it doesn't matter who pays but someone has to. I was quite angry by this and so just put the phone down.

When I told my friend about the fine he didn't seem interested and seems unwilling to pay (although he put me in this predicament!), so I've been running around like a headless chicken thinking of something to do. I've read loads of threads saying not to call RLP, but i've called them twice and said that i'd pay the full amount first of all and then rang again stating i'll pay half, so i'm worried they can use this against me in a court, as now I don't want to pay as i've read RLP are bullies and you do not have to pay them.

Can someone please please help me,

thank you.

Have a look through the other posts about RLP on here then send them a letter similar to the one I have copied over from another thread below for you.

There is loads about RLP on here so just search through and you will see about them

Ref xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear xxxx

Thank you for your letter of xxxxxxxxx.

It is denied that I am liable to pay RLP or XXXX £xxx,or any sums at all.

Please furnish me with a full Breakdown of the costs (including the time allocated and the rates associated) that

demonstrate the monies demanded are legitimately due.

I am familiar with the details and results of the case between A retailer and 2 un-named defendants, which was lost by RLP's client because it was determined there was no loss that could be proven.

Yours Sincerely/Faithfully

I suggest you send a letter to RLP:

Dear Sirs

I refer to your invoice dated xxxx, and to my subsequent telephone call to your offices.

Having now had an opportunity to take advice, my position is that any liability to you or any company you claim to represent is denied.

No further correspondence will be entered into with you.

Yours faithfully

What will happen next is that RLP will send you more letters, and they will be full of legalese drivel. You will probably find them menacing; they are intended to play upon your sense of guilt and shame. They may suggest that you shouldn't seek advice on the internet; they may even suggest that CAG is under police investigation. They may say that they are acting in the interests of crime deterrence.

You should ignore all of them; this may take firm resolve.

There are a few facts that will help you:

- RLP cannot fine anyone; only a statutory authority such as a court can do that.

- where you seek advice is entirely a matter for you. It's none of RLP's business.

- the police investigation, if there really is one, is very, very covert, because no-one at CAG has heard anything from the police.

- RLP's only interest is money - their business has nothing to do with crime deterrence, not least because they are only involved after the alleged crime has been committed.

- RLP have issued tens of thousands of these speculative invoices, all backed up by threats of court action. In fact, there have only been a few court cases, and in the only contested case (that is, where the defendants were properly defended), RLP's client lost because the Judge didn't think their claim, which was based on RLP's costs matrix, had a valid basis in law.

- the Law Commission reported that the type of claims made by RLP may not have a valid basis in law, and also commented on the aggressive and oppressive way they are pursued.

It goes without saying that you must not speak to them on the phone, in any circumstances, ever.

Are you under 18, incidentally?

I suggest you send a letter to RLP:

What will happen next is that RLP will send you more letters, and they will be full of legalese drivel. You will probably find them menacing; they are intended to play upon your sense of guilt and shame. They may suggest that you shouldn't seek advice on the internet; they may even suggest that CAG is under police investigation. They may say that they are acting in the interests of crime deterrence.

You should ignore all of them; this may take firm resolve.

There are a few facts that will help you:

- RLP cannot fine anyone; only a statutory authority such as a court can do that.

- where you seek advice is entirely a matter for you. It's none of RLP's business.

- the police investigation, if there really is one, is very, very covert, because no-one at CAG has heard anything from the police.

- RLP's only interest is money - their business has nothing to do with crime deterrence, not least because they are only involved after the alleged crime has been committed.

- RLP have issued tens of thousands of these speculative invoices, all backed up by threats of court action. In fact, there have only been a few court cases, and in the only contested case (that is, where the defendants were properly defended), RLP's client lost because the Judge didn't think their claim, which was based on RLP's costs matrix, had a valid basis in law.

- the Law Commission reported that the type of claims made by RLP may not have a valid basis in law, and also commented on the aggressive and oppressive way they are pursued.

It goes without saying that you must not speak to them on the phone, in any circumstances, ever.

Are you under 18, incidentally?

Thank you so much for your help!!

I'm 20 years old.

I hope you made a complaint to PRimarks head office about this. Even though you are guilty and you admitted it, they still had no right to treat you that way.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

I would suggest your "friend" is anything but. The fact that with he/she gave a false address with the backing of their mother suggests they know the law etc and are leaving you to carry the can. Follow others advice on here as i have no knowledge of this area.