Incompatible but not faulty LG PC Monitor - am I entitled to a different model replacement?

thirdform
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there. I recently had my monitor replaced (with exactly the same model) under warranty from LG. No complaints there. They actually have a good customer service system. The trouble is, the problem is still exactly the same. LG have conceded that it is a compatibility issue with my system, as opposed to a faulty monitor. Of course, they wanted to leave it there, but there's no way I'm going to just accept this and be stuck with an incorrectly functioning monitor. The help desk guy said he had submitted a VOC (? I think that's right - it's basically a message to head office about the problem, leaving it at their discretion as to whether they sort me out or not). Apparently they will contact me in a couple of days with their "decision". Do I have the right to demand that they replace it with a different but equivalent model until the problem is solved? I believe that a (perhaps newer) different model will solve the problem.

I'm thinking yes - as I said to them, if the monitor came with a warning or caveat that it may not be compatible with certain systems, then fair enough. But of course it doesn't. The way I see it, it's very little financial skin off the nose of a huge multinational corporation to just give me satisfaction, even if it costs them a couple of quid.

I'll fight tooth and nail to get a result, on principle and on finances! I'm not rich enough to suck it up and buy a new one.

Any ideas? Thanks.

First off your case is with the seller of the monitor and not LG, they are only bound by the warranty they set. With regards to action you can take it would be deemed 'faulty' as it is not fit for the purpose it was purchased for. As a replacement and repair will not correct the issue they should be able to offer you an exchange / refund purchase date depending.

When did you purchase the monitor, what is the actual fault? Is the fault not with the graphics card?

Ex-Retail Manager who is happy to offer helpful advise in many consumer problems based on my retail experience. Any advise I do offer is my opinion and how I understand the law.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Your advice tallies with what I was told by the Citizens Advice Consumer Service. I've done a lot of testing and replacing components and also sent the graphics card back to Asus, who returned it checked with no faults. I've also tried another monitor, which works perfectly with the same system. This is how me and LG reached the conclusion that it's (an admittedly unusual) compatibility problem.

I bought the monitor from Micro Anvika, a fairly major shop in Tottenham Court Road, London on 28th January 2010. The LG warranty is 3 years, but not sure how that works with the shop's warranty/return system. I'm anticipating that the last thing Micro Anvika will do is refund/replace it, just because I know how these places operate. I think the first thing they will do is say that it's down to LG and not them. I'd lay money on it. However, I haven't tried them yet because I'm still waiting for LG's response.

The CACS suggested writing a stern letter (assuming MA don't play ball), quoting the Sale Of Goods Act etc.

Does that sound about right?

What exactly is wrong with the monitor?

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

The short version: It's incompatible with my system - there's nothing wrong with it as such. I'm a PC builder/expert so I've eliminated all possibilities. It's faulty in as much as it doesn't work as it should on my otherwise non-faulty PC system.

Theres very little leeway then if its incompatible. There can only be a few things wrong.

Tbh though you could try the SOGA route, but be aware, you are very close to running out of time on it.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

I'm going to pursue all angles, though. I mean, in the end , it's not fit for purpose, through no fault of my own. I'm quite good at kicking up a stink when it comes to refunds/consumer rights etc. Sometimes people sort you out just to get rid of you if you persist enough!

Thanks for all help so far, by the way.

I mean regarding communicating with the shop. For a replacement monitor through LG's warranty it becomes trickier.

I myself was trained in pc component repair and advanced electronics through the university of manchester, which means i can repair something down to the basic capacitors and chips, and even i had troublesome dealings with manufacturers when the people i repaired items for preferred to get it done under warranty than have a third party take their equipment apart and rebuild it.

Actually disregard my post about time limits. It seems that the limit for making the initial claim is 6 years now.

You might be very good at kicking up a stink, but you still haven't told us whats wrong, incompatible is not much use.

What does it do, or not do? The more technical the better.

H

44 years at the pointy end of the motor trade. :eek:

GARUDALINUX.ORG

Garuda Linux comes with a variety of desktop environments like KDE, GNOME, Cinnamon, XFCE, LXQt-kwin, Wayfire, Qtile, i3wm and Sway to choose from.