Ex-partner increased overdraft on Joint account after divorce

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I divorced in August 2003, my partner received the matrimonial house and other assets. Joint accounts were closed except one with Natwest through which the mortgage was paid for a short while after the divorce. My ex had told me that she had written to Natwest telling them of the divorce and that she would be taking full liability for the ac****.

I have just received a letter from Debt Collectors for Natwest who are after a debt. Apparently Natwest increased the overdraft limit to my ex after the divorce and it has been used up and she cannot pay the debt back. The bank is now coming to me.

1. Am I still liable for the full debt

2. Am I liable to the full amount of the debt or only the overdraft limit I originally signed up to when we were together.

I am in a difficult financial situation myself with no equity in my new house. What shall I do please?

As far as I know if your name is still on the account then I think you are. You need to speak to someone who can offer you advice.

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

• 1 month later...

As a divorce is final the wife must not continue to increase a debt under any circumstances, you need to get your name removed from that account asap and if they dont, then put on restrictions to have the ability to increase debt without both signatures I had the same problem back in '92 I won the case at court but cant remember how

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.