Overpayment of student grant

Moabel
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I just need some information because Im getting a letter stating that i owe maintenance grant which has been overpaid

On one of the letters it states "This amount of your maintenance loan has been replaced with a maintenance grant. This mean you have less student finance to repay"

But isn't that a way to get me to repay an overpaid grant? im so confused at this point.

No idea what is happening and i am not organised :'(

I was no longer a student when they charged me for atleast of the 2 payments. Im not sure if the payments still count? Also they contacted me like 5-6 months after to let me know that i have to repay them :\

Also i was no longer a student when they made the overpaid grants - and only today did i confirm that the payments were actually paid :|

Are they allowed to do that? They are threatening to send me over to a third party company called smith lawson and company. I typed in google what it was and it led me here.

Also there was an issue with when i left my course. My university misplaced the 2 forms i needed to hand in and now im even more confused. can someone help me out i need information.

Edited by Moabel

Ok i sounded like a crazy person in my last post and will try and clarify what i was trying to say.

According to my course leader my last attendence day of university was july 2011. I believe this is also the time that i left (not 100%sure it was a long time ago). However according to Students loan company it was November 2011.

So if i was attending during the period which they provided me with a maintenance grant why are they charging me with an overpayment :\?

Also if they did overpay me why did they contact me about it july 2012 8 months later to tell me that i have an overpayment and i need to repay them within the 7 days. They did not provide me with a single shred of paperwork for payments or anything during that time and this goes the same for my university.

Also according to them and i believe the contract stated that if i was not attending for a certain period of time they would not pay me any grant or loan anyway.

On wednesday 26th september they are going to move me over to a third party company called smith lawson and company.

Im not sure how to react to this and what to say to the people on the phone. I already explained to them that i have no income so for now its impossible for me to pay this overpayment back :|

And finally the issue that annoys me the most is that my university have misplaced the two forms which i handed in to leave the university. Not sure how this is relevent but im VERY confused.

PLEASE advise as to what i should say on the phone to students loan company in my next encounter.

Thanks.

Don't say anything on the phone, refuse to answer security questions.

You state you left Uni in July 2011. If the loans company didn't know you had left, you would have received payments for 2012 starting in Sept/Oct 11, Jan 12 and May 12. Did you receive these payments?

I thought I left in July this was also my last attendance date according to my course leader. According to them I left in November. The payments which I received are as follows

11/10/2010 £969.00 Grant

10/01/2011 £969.00 Grant [ do these dates mean that i actually owe them] ?

02/05/2011 £969.00 Grant

These are the last payments which I ever received from them.

I want to resolve this as soon as possible.

Shall i contact them?

Thanks for the quick response.

Edited by Moabel

Well those dates are for year 10/11 which you completed.

You need a full breakdown of what you were entitled to and what was paid. Have you received a letter asking for the repayment of the overpayments? If so, does it state what the overpayments are and what they require back?

Keep everything in writing and do NOT talk to them on the phone unless you can record the calls.

We need to know what you are meant to owe before I can advise further.

I did receive a few letters as to what i owe. They said i owe £2213.00. I Spoke to them on the phone a while back and they told me that i need to payback the grant for the 3 dates i listed above.

11/10/2010, 10/01/2011, and 02/05/2011 The total comes to £2906 however apparently according to this letter they were going to pay me £693.00 in grants which i didn't receive so i guess they just subtracted it :\

the payments during 2010/11 were considered overpayment even though i was studying during that time. :(

I could always email them and ask them right? - Could you provide me with the correct email if possible?

Thanks

edit: 1 hour left until deadline - I can't sleep am i being scared for no reason :-(

Edited by Moabel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again

Basically my mum just received a letter stating that they have difficulty reaching me. This is the first time they have tried to get in contact with me after you told me not to say anything on the phone.

I told them over the phone maybe the second time we spoke that my email address is no longer active and if they wish to contact me they should use the house phone. They have not tried to contact me through my house phone.

I hate being in this reactionary position. I want to know if the payments that i supposedly owe are legit?

Can you please advise.

Ok I got a response from smith lawson and they said that i should confirm my attendance with my university again and have them send it in writing. They are putting a hold on my account for 2 weeks. Nothing to do with what i asked but oh well.

EDIT: OK I think i made a mistake! according to my university i withdrew november 2010 which means i need to pay them back. oh god i should have skipped university lol :'(

Thanks for all the help you have given me! you kept my heart at ease :)

take care.

Edited by Moabel