Income Support overpayment from 1993

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4237 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Just had a letter saying I owe The DWP £1180.79 and to make a payment by 24/9/2012. Phoned and asked what it related to and it appears to be for income support from 1993!! where do I stand and can I fight this or do I just have to pay up. I haven't got that kind of money and it was not what I needed in the run up to christmas. I hope someone can give me some advice please.

The DWP can recover all old debts even if they are statute barred, they cannot enforce this in court BUT the can deduct payments from any current or future benefits including state retirement pension and pension credt.

You can make a Subject Access Request to the DWP to get all the data they hold on you.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The DWP/HMRC have been charge with collecting what is a vast sum in unrepaid social fund loans/and overpayment fraudulent or not and have since around 2 years employ private sector partners (debt collection agencies/credit reference agencies) to collect thesse delinquent amount.

This has been under the auspices of the Minister for Welfare Reform (House of Lords), I have corresponded with him and my MP and have posted previously how this works and the safeguards that are in place.

The DWP normally states that there is no appeal aginst this and only the Secretary of State can ''write off'' such a debt.

The collecting od old debt has always been collectable this way.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

You can write to the Manager at the DWP Debt Management Centre that has told you of the debt and ask for all the information regarding the debt (SAR) you do not need to send the normal £10 Statutory Fee in this case.

Do you remember the loan or overpayment?

The above is your only way forward because if you fail to communicate they will pass it to a DCA and it's certainly easier to deal with the DWP direct.