Job Help - leaving a job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4230 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there

I am just looking for some advice about work and what I should do. I have been in this job for just under a year. To start with I had problems with my pay, as the woman that does the pay didn't put me on emergancy tax for 2 months and therefore I did not get paid at all. Anyway, it seems that the company I am working for is in a bit of money trouble and for the last few months we either haven't been paid on time, only half has gone in on the day it said it would be and rest followed, or some people have been paid, others haven't(on time).

Recently my boss has decided to go travelling for 8 months and the day he left work (1 1/2 weeks ago) was the day that magically, a contract appeared. As of today I have signed it but I haven't handed it in.

There are 5 people that work in the company I work for and we have all been given jobs to do whilst the boss is away and this is where the problems have started from.

I haven't been well and have been under the doctors. I was on incredibly strong painkillers and antibiotics and was advised by the doctor not too come into work. There were 2 days were I didn't go into work at all and I managed to work from home. The other days I went in (even though I was not meant too). When I phoned in to tell them that I wasn't going to be in, the woman who is "in charge" at the moment sighed and said "Well I suppose you have to do what you have to do". This is the same woman that would not pay me to start with as she didn't want/couldn't be bothered to put me on emergancy tax. On Thursday, one of the guys that I work with came in with the worst hangover I have ever seen, head on the desk all day, asleep on his lunch etc. On the friday he phones in to tell us he had been out again the previous night and had another hangover and wasn't going to be in. Nothing was said. This wound me up so much.

The same woman then called me into the office for a "meeting" and basically took all my work away from me to give to another guy, even though my Boss had given it too me to do. This means I have been left with basically very little to do. It will last me, at most, a month and then there is nothing else for me to do other than twiddle my thumbs.

Friday that has just gone (14th September) became a joke. Basically some of the work that I had spent a long time doing hadn't gone on a website properly, because the people that do the website had changed it. As soon as the other woman in my office found out she wouldn't listen too a word I was saying and wouldn't look at what I had done (even though the work is all there). I am now not allowed to have any contact with the people that have done the website, and yet again, another thing has been taken off of me. This means that I now have even less work to do.

The two women in my office have now started to be quite bitchy and nasty about me behind my back. I have over heard them whilst they didn't think I was there. On friday I managed to do 3 peoples work and no thank you or anything was given to me other than bitching and moaning about the other stuff. I even stayed late and waited for the courier to turn up as he was late. At this point all the parcels were outside the office and the doors were locked. If he hadn't have turned up, I would have been screwed!

As you can now imgaine I am looking for a new job asap. My plan is too hopefully hand my notice in within a months time so I can be as far away from that place as possible. I want a job that I am not made to feel as small as an ant. I want to work somewhere, where I am not up half the night worrying about it and most importantly I too know I a have bit more job secuirty than I do now.

The questions that I have to ask is, even though my boss is away for 8 months, am I still able to hand my notice in? Nothing has been said about me staying for the next 8 months but recently things have got so bad I do not want to be there anymore.

Am I in a bad postition if I do leave? Does it look bad on me even though essentially, I am being made to leave by the people I work with?

Any help on this would be brilliant. My health is really suffering because of it now and I can only be pushed so far before I crack!

Thank you for reading this horribly long post

Also I would like too add that this is my first "full time job". I recently graduate university

Ok. You need to file a formal grievance with the head office or Highest manager possible within the company.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

hi welcome to the CAG

This business - it is owned and managed by the same person? Seems odd that they would leave their business for 8 months!

You can always resign giving the appriopate notice period to the person in charge.

I am not a legal professional or adviser, I am however a Law Student and very well versed areas of Employment Law. Anything I write here is purely from my own experiences! If I help, then click the star to add to my reputation :)

In these recessionary times, it might be a good idea to wait till you have found a new job before handing in your notice. If you have been given nothing to do, then take in a good book and read that.

In implicit part of the employment contract is that your employer has to provide you with work.

Edited by Pusillanimous

It would also look bad on you that you quit your first job.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D