Joint Account debt

Bootface
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4232 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have just found out that there is 2 outstanding debts in my name from a previous relationship. The relationship ended and I moved out in Feb 2005. I stupidly took my exes word for it when he said he had taken my name off the account. The debts are listed in Experian as starting in March 2008. They are both for current bank accounts however only 1 was a joint account which started off as his personal account and I had my name added. The other was for his solo account which I had a card for but was not joint. The joint account is in debt for £2800 and the solo account is for £219. I have been in touch with Lowell who are now chasing me for this debt. My ex is now working and living in Australia and I have been in touch with him to try and sort but he has since broken off contact. he said he was coming back to UK to declare himself bankrupt and then go back to work in Australia. I have recently got married and can't get a joint account with my husband because of these debts. We are looking to buy a house and i am worried this will effect our chances of getting a mortgage despite having an excellent Experian rating (982/999). Will I have to pay these debts or can I get them written off? Any advice greatly received.

You are not liable for his solo account, just tell Lowell you are not that person. As for the joint account is this joint account debt showing on your credit file and what is actually showing? Did you tell the bank anything at all when you split up as your ex wouldn't be able to remove you from the account without you written approval. I know because I still have a joint account with my ex and the bank refuses to close it because he won't co-operate in spite of me having got divorced over 4 years ago. Madness!

Yes the joint account is showing on my credit report. I spoke with the bank about 6mths after the split but as it was in debt at the time they wouldn't allow my name to come off.. We sold our house and split the profit so his account would have gone back into credit however I stupidly took his word that everything was sorted as I didn't realise I needed to sign to get it done. As I never heard from the bank I presumed all was ok. The only reason I found out about the debt was when I received a letter from lowells earlier this year about the solo account as I then went into Halifax to query it and they checked the status of the old joint account....Its so frustrating. I was hoping that if I could prove I had nothing to do with the account for the last 7 years then I would not be liable for the debt. I have requested statements since January 2005 which Lowell are sending to prove this.