Jump to content

installing fence- whose responsibility

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 3001 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Recommended Posts

I bought a new home and rented it out approx 6 months ago.


The backgarden has a 'kind-of' picket fence which isn't vey high and in not very good condition with a few panels missing. (this fence is on the left hand side- so mine)


Apart from the fence on the right hand the side, the majority of the houses in the row do not have full length fences

we can see across a number of gardens on the left hand side if in the garden.


the garden itself was a right mess.

It was full of weeds - before renting out the house we cleared the garden

The tenant viewed the property before having renting it - yesterday my tenant phoned

and said she doesn't feel it is safe to let out her young children out into the garden due to the small fence and older children/ young adults using the gardens on the left.


she has requested we put in a full length fence

- AND clear out the weeds from the garden for her.


what i would like to know is that whether installing a new fence is my responsibility?

or is maintenance of it mine (can i just replace the missing panels- though ofcourse it won't solve my tenants problem).

and what about clearing out the garden?


i would appreciate it if you could provide some advice for me many thanks for your help

Edited by lady_bug
Link to post
Share on other sites

the frnce issue should be answered by the boundaries on your deeds



please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Link to post
Share on other sites



The link above takes you to a list of other threads where this same question has been asked.


Have a read through and see if there is anything that can help.


Apparently there are a couple of "rules of thumb". If you stand at the front of the property - the left hand fence is yours.




the nicer side of the fence is usually presented to the neighbours not the owners side.


Other than that, you might have to locate the plans.



Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

how have you worded the tenancy agreement


,does it state that the garden is to be kept in a tidy state by the tenant,


all fences(especially the one on the left) are the responsability of the landlord unless damaged by the tenant.


The tenancy agreement must point out who is responsible for what,


and once the tenant has signed for the tenancy then all points must be upheld


.But if the lack of fencing was pointed out to the tenant before they took on the property,


and they still agreed to occupy the property,


then THEY should make the garden safe for the kids.Looking at the boundary plans does not answer your question.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Disrepairs in privately rented accommodation

The landlord's responsibilities


The landlord has extensive duties to do repairs. These duties arise from a number of sources:-

• the tenancy agreement

• section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985

• duty of care (breach of which may cause actions for nuisance and negligence)

• other responsibilities given by statute

• Defective Premises Act 1972

• Environmental Protection Act 1990. The landlord is responsible for a statutory nuisance caused by something inherent in the structure of the property.

The landlord may be responsible to carry out the repair under one or more of the above headings. More than one course of action can be taken to deal with a problem of disrepair and you will need to decide which is (or are) the most appropriate for the client before starting to take action.


The tenancy agreement


Express terms


If there is a written tenancy agreement, there may be terms relating specifically to the landlord's obligation to repair. If there is no written agreement, what has been agreed orally will be legally binding, although this will be more difficult to prove.


An express term, either written or oral, cannot remove a landlord's statutory obligations to do repairs, nor shift the landlord's statutory responsibilities onto the tenant. However, if the landlord agrees in the tenancy agreement to take more responsibility than is imposed on her/him by statute, s/he will be contractually bound by this.


A court can interpret what an express term means and what it applies to, looking at all the circumstances of the case. For example, the Court of Appeal found that the failure of a local authority to provide proper insulation for a flat, so as to prevent severe mould caused by condensation, was a breach of an express term in the tenancy agreement. The term stated that the landlord would 'maintain the dwelling in good condition and repair'. This may be a useful argument when challenging a landlord over who is responsible for condensation, but check the wording in the tenancy agreement carefully.


Implied terms


Implied terms are terms that can be read into a tenancy agreement even though they have not been stated. These may come from common law or, more importantly, from statute.


Common law implied terms Under common law the landlord has a number of repairing responsibilities, for example:-

• where the accommodation is let furnished, it must be 'fit to be lived in' on the day the letting begins, even if the unfitness is not obvious at the time of the letting but comes to light during the tenancy. The courts have decided that properties are not fit for human habitation at common law if they have bug infestation, defective drainage or sewage systems, a lack of safety or an insufficient water supply

• if the accommodation is let on a licence, it must be fit to be lived in, irrespective of whether it is furnished or unfurnished

• even if the letting is for a very short period of time, the landlord is liable to maintain the structure or exterior of the property at least to prevent a dangerous state of disrepair, unless there is an express term to the contrary in the tenancy agreement

• where a tenant is obliged under an express term of a tenancy to carry out repairs to the interior of the property, the courts have imposed an implied term that the landlord must repair the exterior.



Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985: the landlord's main obligation to repair


Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985 is the most important of the landlord's obligations to carry out basic repairs. It works by implying terms into a tenancy agreement (whether or not a tenant has anything in writing) which cannot be overridden by any express terms. The landlord therefore cannot seek to avoid, or to contract out of, these obligations.


When does section 11 apply


Section 11 will apply to most tenancies, whether in the private or public sector. It applies to all periodic tenancies and fixed term leases of less than seven years which began after 24 October 1961. The main exceptions are the following:-

• agricultural tenancies covered by the Agricultural Holdings Act 1948

• most business tenancies

• crown tenancies, that is, most tenants of government departments.

Tenants who do not come under the scope of section 11 may be able to have a repair carried out under one or more of the landlord's other responsibilities, including the terms implied by common law.


The landlord's obligations under section 11


The landlord must:-

• keep in repair (see below) the structure and exterior of the building or part of a building which is let to the tenant (including drains, gutters and external pipes)

• keep in repair and proper working order the installations for the supply of water, gas and electricity, and for sanitation (including basins, sinks, baths, toilets)

• keep in repair and proper working order the installations for space heating and heating water.

Keep in repair This is a continuing obligation to keep up the standard of repair throughout the tenancy. It also means that the landlord has to put into repair the structure and exterior of the property, even if it was not in good repair at the beginning of the tenancy.




The landlord's obligation to repair only comes into operation when there has been damage to the structure and/or exterior which requires it is made good. The landlord is therefore obliged to put right something that has gone wrong, or which does not work in the way it was intended to work. The landlord's obligation under section 11 can also cover putting right a defect that results from an inherent or design fault, for example, replacing a damproof course which had been laid in such a way as to cause dampness; providing a WC cistern; replacing missing expansion joints; or underpinning where there is subsidence. Whether the landlord has to provide a different thing from that which was originally contracted for will depend upon the individual circumstances of the case. Relevant factors may include what proportion of the premises are affected, the cost of the works and the age of the property.


Structure and exterior


There is no precise legal definition of this. The structure includes outside walls and windows, frames, ceilings, roof and foundations. It can be argued that it also includes external doors and windows, including the glass. If the landlord disputes that this is the case, specialist advice may be needed. It does not include internal wall plaster or decorations as such, but if these are affected by disrepair to something for which the landlord is responsible under this section, for example, disrepair to an external wall leading to penetrating damp, the tenant may be able to use section 11. The exterior of the building means the outside or external parts of the dwelling.


Common parts


The landlord is responsible, under section 11, for the structure and exterior of the building or part of the building which is let to the tenant wholly or mainly as a private residence. If the tenancy, however, began on or after 15 January 1989, and if the disrepair affects the tenant's enjoyment of her/his property or of the common parts, the landlord must repair the structure and interior of any part of the building s/he owns.


Installations for the supply of electricity, water and gas and for space and water heating


The landlord is obliged both to put these installations in proper working order, and to keep them in proper working order. In one case, it was decided that, to be in proper working order, an installation must be capable of carrying out its functions under all conditions it is 'reasonable to anticipate'. The installations covered include water and gas pipes, electrical wiring, water tanks, boilers, radiators, and other space and water heating installations, for example, vents for underfloor heating. The landlord does not, under section 11, have an obligation to keep in repair other installations which use electricity, water or gas, for example, a washing machine or fixed heater. However, the landlord may have other obligations in relation to these.



Landlord's right of access to inspect the premises


The landlord or her/his authorised agent has the right to enter the accommodation to inspect its condition and state of repair at reasonable times of day and at 24 hours' written notice.


When do obligations under section 11 arise


The landlord's obligation to repair under section 11 does not arise until s/he has notice of the disrepair. S/he must then be given a reasonable time to carry out the repair. There is no definition of reasonable time, but a number of factors should be taken into account, including the extent of the disrepair, whether or not the tenant is living in the property and the availability of replacement parts. For public sector landlords, published targets may be a relevant factor.


Standards for repairs under section 11

The standard required will take into account the age, character and prospective life of the property and the area in which it is located. This means that the repair does not necessarily have to put the property into a perfect state. However, the repair must, at the very least, make the property fit for occupation.


Landlords' responsibilities under the Defective Premises Act 1972


The landlord has an obligation under the Defective Premises Act 1972 to carry out work safely and properly, and is liable for any damage or injury resulting from disrepair.


Negligence and nuisance


A landlord can be taken to court for negligence or nuisance. Negligence arises if someone has been injured or property has been damaged because the landlord has breached a duty of care. A duty of care is likely to be breached if the landlord has acted unreasonably or has not acted where s/he should have, and the problem was 'reasonably foreseeable'.


Nuisance occurs when something in one property interferes with the use and enjoyment of a neighbouring property. Nuisance could occur, for example, as a result of defects in the common parts of a property or in neighbouring premises owned by the landlord. Noise from neighbours could also constitute nuisance.


Other responsibilities of landlords


Landlords also have specific responsibilities in respect of gas and electrical safety, fire safety, furnishings, asbestos, refuse and vermin.


Taking action to deal with disrepair


Before taking action - steps to follow


Step one - check your housing status


Before taking any action on repairs, the your housing status should be established. This is because, unless the tenant has security of tenure, the risk of losing the accommodation may outweigh the advantages of taking action, and the course of action will depend on the level of security of tenure. If you do not have security of tenureyou should seek help of a specialist housing adviser.


Step two - check the tenancy agreement


If the you have a written agreement, check it to see who it says has responsibility for the repair. Remember that the tenancy agreement cannot take away statutory rights and obligations. It may, however, give you the rights over and above her/his statutory rights.


If there is no written agreement, terms implied by common law and statute will still apply, as well as anything that was agreed orally. Assured shorthold tenants whose tenancies began on or after 28 February 1997 have a right to a written statement of the main terms of the tenancy.



Step three - Notify the landlord


If the landlord is responsible for doing the repair, you must first make sure that you give the landlord reasonable notice that the repair is needed. You should put your request in writing and keep a copy.


What 'reasonable notice' is depends on the individual situation, for example, the scale of the work and the effect the disrepair is having on the tenant.


Step four - collect evidence of the disrepair


You should make a written description of the disrepair and collect the following evidence:-

• proof of when the landlord was notified of the problem, for example, a copy of a letter

• photographs

• expert evidence, for example, from surveyors or environmental health officers

• medical reports, if the disrepair is affecting the health (including stress) of the tenant

• details of any costs incurred as a result of the disrepair.

You will need detailed evidence.


Step 5 - consider the options for action


Negotiating with the landlord


If possible, you should first negotiate with the landlord to try and get her/him to undertake the repair in accordance with her/his responsibilities.


Alternatively, you could pay for and undertake the work yourself, if the landlord agrees.


If the local authority is the landlord, it may be worth checking whether the authority has included the work within its planned maintenance programme and intends to carry it out in the near future.


If negotiation fails


If negotiation fails, you could take one or more of the following courses of action:-

• use the rent to pay for repairs. Remember that this is a risky course of action, unless the correct procedure is carefully followed. You must not simply withhold rent

• take court action yourself

• get the local authority to take action

• if you are the tenant of a local authority or of a registered social landlord, claim compensation under the 'right to repair' scheme

• contact an The Ombudsman is an industry arranged service which is under-resourced, takes too long, lacks clear transparency.

You have no idea what evidence the FOS has received from the bank or how your complain has really been handled.

The FOS is the preferred complaints route for the banking industry.

The county court is to be preferred by consumers for its speed, openness, the quality of its awards and also because it will award 8% interest on top of any damages won by you.

• if the problem relates to electricity, gas or fire safety, contact the appropriate body

• consider eligibility for a housing grant, loan or other type of assistance for repairs or improvements.



Tenant carrying out and paying for improvements


If the landlord refuses permission, s/he has to give her/his reasons in writing. The tenant can challenge the refusal in the This comprehensive and very accessible guide will take you through the process of suing or defending a claim.

This guide will help you take control of your litigation and make you more confident about doing it yourself.

Applies to England and Wales county court where it will be the landlord's responsibility to prove that s/he is being reasonable in refusing permission.


Using the rent to pay for the repair


You do not generally have the right to withhold rent, and should not do this in an attempt to force the landlord to do repairs. Doing so could jeopardise your right to remain in the property because the landlord can start possession proceedings on the basis of rent arrears.


Notwithstanding the above warning, in certain circumstances you can use rent money to pay for repairs, or offset the cost of repairs you have carried out her/himself against rent arrears. The tenant must follow the correct procedure


A case (Lee-Parker v Izzet (1971) 1 WLR 1688) has established that, to use rent to pay for repairs, or to offset the cost of repairs against arrears, the tenant must carefully follow (in order) the steps below:-

• give the landlord notice of the disrepair and a reasonable time to remedy it; then

• inform the landlord (preferably in writing) that you will do the repair yourself unless the landlord complies with her/his obligations; then

• allow a further reasonable period for the landlord to do the work; then

• obtain three estimates for the cost of the work from reputable builders; then

• write to the landlord again, enclosing copies of the estimates and reminding her/him of her/his obligation to do the work, giving a further reasonable period to carry it out. The letter should warn that, otherwise, you will do the work yourself and deduct the cost from rent; then, if there is no response

• arrange for the contractor who gave the lowest estimate to do the work, and obtain (and send to the landlord) receipts, with a request for payment; then

• if the landlord does not pay, you may deduct the cost from the rent (but not other charges such as service charges), then send the landlord a Breakdown of the amount and period of the rent to be withheld.

The tenant should avoid running into rent arrears before taking this action. If, however, the landlord takes court action for arrears and/or possession, the fact that the tenant has had to pay for repairs can be used as a counterclaim to the proceedings. Damages caused by the landlord's default can also be set off against arrears in a defence to possession proceedings. Specialist advice will be needed.



Tenant taking court action


Taking court action against the landlord for breach of a duty to repair is complicated. It can be costly and time consuming. The tenant should be advised to negotiate with the landlord if possible. Court action should be used only as a last resort.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you talking about full length or full height?


If you are talking about full length so that there is a proper boundary the entire length of the garden then the responsibility is yours.

If you are talking about full height then the fence comes "as seen" but you have a responsibilty to maintain it in good condition. You have said that it is not in good condition and it owuld be for you to repair or replace it.


As you have gone into the landlor business, it might be an idea for a good long term relationship to help her out and to install a full height fence. It will be helpful if yuo want to let it out to more tenants when she leaves. If the fence has to be repaired then maybe this is the time to put in a beter one and a higher one.


As to the condition of the garden - it comes as seen and so it owuld be her responsbiity to maintain it so it doesn't get any worse than it is already - but she wouldn't be required to improve it - unless that is included in the lease.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Are you talking about full length or full height?


If you are talking about full length so that there is a proper boundary the entire length of the garden then the responsibility is yours.

If you are talking about full height then the fence comes "as seen" but you have a responsibilty to maintain it in good condition. You have said that it is not in good condition and it owuld be for you to repair or replace it.


As you have gone into the landlor business, it might be an idea for a good long term relationship to help her out and to install a full height fence. It will be helpful if yuo want to let it out to more tenants when she leaves. If the fence has to be repaired then maybe this is the time to put in a beter one and a higher one.


As to the condition of the garden - it comes as seen and so it owuld be her responsbiity to maintain it so it doesn't get any worse than it is already - but she wouldn't be required to improve it - unless that is included in the lease.


Full height-sorry. I have considered installing it to maintain good relationships, however financially I'm still trying to find my feet. I've been reading on the web about tenants in similar situations who have decided to pay for the costs of installation- is this allowed? Many thanks for your answer

Link to post
Share on other sites

As you are a LL you might try the Landlord zone site useful for questions like this.

IMO if the tenant wants improvements to the fence then they shoould get in done and pay for it as not agreed when they signed the lease.

I have put fences up on property I have rented for my dogs, with LL permission. Offereed to remove when ended, but they were all quite pleased to leave them in place.

Link to post
Share on other sites

lady-bug needs to determine who owns the fences, her or neighnours? Check the Deeds and property plan before allowing T to do any repairs

If exactly on the property dividing line, then prob jointly owned (party) fences.

gearjamma fails to cite a source for his long missif and LL repairing liability applies mainly to the leased building. Fences and garden resps are usually set out in the Lease.


"IMO if the tenant wants improvements to the fence then they shoould get in done and pay for it as not agreed when they signed the lease."


I agree with raydetinu, also T viewed property before signing AST, knowing children were a factor. Unless third-party safety is compromised, (eg unsafe garden wall), LL has no liability to repair fence. Neither does T have to do anything, other than return property & garden fence in similar condition to start of T.


There may be a case for LL to part fund repair/replace fences as requested if T appears reliable.

Personally, I never allow Ts to make their own repairs & thus I retain quality control.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...