Huge Vodafone bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4222 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On Thursday the vodafone bill from my husband's and son's account was paid by direct debit from the bank. They have a £15 phones. The bill is usually £33.50. So imagine my shock when £367.55 went out from my account. The website was down online and so I telephoned vodafone and asked for help. The man told me that my son had been sending premium SMS messages he blocked his ability to do that and that was that. We took his phone and checked through it but we can find no indication that he sent these texts nor that he recieved them. He is as puzzled and as upset as us.

Finally we got online and discovered that over a 3 day period there were 33 messages to or from the numbers 78878 and 79555 all charged at £8.33 (plus eleven more to the first number for 10p each). My son denies all knowlege of these and indeed many of them seem to have been sent in the middle of the night. We don't know what to do. My husband is ill and my youngest daughter just had a major hip operation and is totally physically dependant on me for all her needs. I really can't afford that amount of money or indeed any more stress.

I take it he has a smartphone?

Two things may have happened if he has.

1. Your son could be lying.

2. (more plausible), your sons phone was compromised by an app that auto dials premium lines.

We have a very good vodafone rep on this site who could look into it in more detail for you. Perhaps give him a PM or ask an admin to alert him to this thread.

• Haha 1

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you for answering

He has a Blackberry.

We checked out his phone and can find no texts. He dropped his phone in early July and it's been broken until recently when we purchased a second hand one for him. He has had only intermittent use of it.

He is fifteen, I know how it can look with a teen boy but he is very loving and honest. I rely on him to help me with his father and sister and he does so without complaint or thought of himself. He cried more than me when he found out about the bill.

Hi

To get Voda rep onto this thread use this method please

Hi CAG members,

We thought it would be nice to introduce ourselves and to assure you all that our presence on CAG is with the very best of intentions.

vodafone UK has recently introduced a dedicated Web Relations Team which is keen to seek out customers who’re having difficulties with their accounts and feel that they have no other place to turn to than CAG and other consumer forums and blogs.

Naturally, it’s not possible for us to help directly with account specific queries on CAG and as such we would encourage those members who feel we can help them to contact us privately at [email protected] ne.co.uk quoting ‘WRT135 – CAG Forum’ in the subject line to ensure that it reaches the Web Relations Team.

When emailing us we would also ask that you either provide us with a link to your post or thread – if you’ve posted in another member’s thread please also provide your CAG username so that we can check what your query is.

Just a slight correction, the email address when copy and pasted from other cag boards adds a space, the email address should be [email protected]

You should get an automated reply with a reference number, and the Vodafone rep checks the forum regularly, so if you post that reference number it can kick start the ball rolling :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

http://www.phonepayplus-services.org.uk/output/search-adjudications.aspx

10 November 2011

Information provider txtNation Limited

Service provider OpenMarket Limited

CASE REFERENCE: 01224

THIS CASE WAS BROUGHT AGAINST THE INFORMATION PROVIDER

(i) The Complaints

Over the period from April 2010 to 6 September 2011 (together with one earlier complaint received in August 2009), PhonepayPlus received a total of 53 complaints in relation to the GP Service ‘gangparadise.com’. Of these complaints, 11 related to minors, including one disabled minor.

and the Regulator (and Networks) are still fielding complaints and agreeing to do business with this 'company'

http://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/78878/12

this may be of particular interest

16 August 2012

Information provider Connect Ltd (t/a SMSBill)

Service provider Tribecton Trading Limited, NTH AG, txtNation Limited and OpenMarket Limited

Having taken into account the aggravating factors, the Tribunal concluded that the seriousness of the case should be regarded overall as very serious.

Sanctions Imposed

Having regard to all the circumstances of the case, the Tribunal decided to impose the following sanctions:

• A formal reprimand;

• A fine of £50,000;

• A requirement for the Level 2 provider to submit all premium rate services to PhonepayPlus for prior permission for two years; and,

A requirement that the Level 2 provider make refunds, within three months, to all consumers who have used the service for the full amount spent, regardless of whether or not they have claimed a refund. Refunds should be directly credited to the users’ mobile accounts and the Level 2 provider must provide evidence to PhonepayPlus that the refunds have been made.

hopefully you will be able to obtain a re refund for 79555 with not to much bother. Also ask Vodafone to put a Premium Rate Bar on your son's account (it does exist but you have to ask and insist).

Thank you.

This is my reference number #9830056.

Hi babsjohn1,

It's just a quick update to your thread to confirm that I've received your most recent email and will get back to you during the course of today.

On a general note customers can find more information regarding Premium Rate Services via our website here.

Thanks,

Lee

Web Relations Team

Vodafone UK

• 2 weeks later...

If it is of help to anyone else. All the numbers trace back to a company called txtnation, and they all refer to credits for some online game called Gangster Paradise. My son has no idea what they are. I am wondering if my ten year old autistic son has any idea, but then again he doesn't know how to text.

Txtnation have proved unhelpful and so the next step is to tackle Gangster Paradise.

Does anyone know what to do after them? I am not so sure they are going to be kind enough to return my £330.

That sounds very much like one of your children have been using your details/phone unfortunately.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

What was Lee's reply (if you don't mind me asking)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Lee provided me with an xl document outlining the calls made and verified that they were to one company. He gave me details of txtnation.

They in turn pointed me to Gangster Paradise's website and I must say, they emailed me earlier and are so far being very helpful.