Falsely accused of shoplifting-un-uniformed, no id security guards-wilkinsons

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I am hoping some one can advise me if there is anything I can do about this.

I went in to wilkinsons today to get my dog a new toy, i picked it up, walked towards the queue which was huge so decided against it just for a dog toy, i put it back on a shelf and walked out.

I then a had a rather burley bloke come and tap me on the shoulder who was un uniformed,

had no id or had anything showing he worked there tap me on the shoulder and asked me if i had taken anything and not paid for it,

(no alarm etc had gone off)

i said no and then asked if he even worked there (i genuinely thought it was just some strange man as he had no identification and was stood half messing with his phone)

he said he did to which I replied he didnt look like he did, he repeated he did and asked me to go back in to the store...

I looked at him wasn't sure what to believe so just said no and walked off.

I went to the shop next door to buy what i went in to wilkinsons for and when i came out there was the same man with 3 or 4 other uniformed men who then pointed at me.

At this point I started panicking as I wasn't sure what was going on and I was still sure they were just strange men as they all came and stood in front of me.

I got a bit iratate at this point as you would as I have never stolen anything in my life and when i asked why he thought this i just kept being asked to go back in the store

(by this point there was one other man there who did have a uniform on and so i knew it was legit)

I turned to the main guard who was clearly on a power trip and said that I would but I was going to make him look like an idiot as I hadnt got anything

and afterwards I would complain and I wouldn't let this go,

to which he kept repeating 'that's not gonna happen, no you wont' and everytime i said 'oh i will' he got a bit closer and slowed down his words...pure intimidation.

I went back in the store in to their back room past all the staring people

(by which point i started to get upset as it was embarrassing and i was on my own)

There was a lady sitting in the corner who looked like she thought it was all ridic and looked a bit embarassed,

the man in uniform and one of the men un-uniformed.

The un uniformed man asked me what had happened while i was in the shop, i told him.

I also started saying about the fact Im a 26 year old girl on my own and the security guard had no uniform or id etc so what was i supposed to think?

the uniformed man then went on to say it's something they are looking at.

He kept trying to turn it all back on me saying i made a scene outside to which i said i got a bit angry as i was scared and upset

and annoyed as I hadn't done anything and had had these men surrpunding me who i wasn't sure had anything to do with the store!!!..

.It went on and I said for them to look through my bag..

.he said he didn't need to do that as he was happy with what had been said.

..at which point i said i was far from and they hadnt heard the last of it and i left, again with everyone staring :(

It really shook me up and when i got outside a lady called me over bc i started crying and said she was going to call and complain as it was bang out of order.

it has really upset me and i def wont be going back in to shop mainly for the reason i am so embarrased!

I am sat here feeling all bothered, the reason I went in to the shopping centre was to get anxiety medication prescription

and instead got this and then forgot to get my prescription as i just wanted to go home :(

Can anyone advise please?

Thank you

First off, they didnt have any proof that anything was missing. Just one power mad security guards opinion.

You need to make a full and formal complaint to the store manager detailing what happened, that you were extremely embarrassed and what you would like them to do to rectify the situation. If the store manager comes back with a reply that doesnt meet your requirements, send a second letter advising that they reconsider their position, or you will have no other choice but to complain directly to the CEO of the company.

You can skip the first part and go right to the CEO if you like, but i prefer to talk direct with management first, as most of the time, its a security guard on an ego trip that needs to be brought into line.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Thank you for your advice, posted this on another forum and just seemed to get unhelpful comments which I really don't need as Im not just 'complaining' this has genuinely really upset me today so thanks for being nice and for your help :)

Thank you for your advice, posted this on another forum and just seemed to get unhelpful comments which I really don't need as Im not just 'complaining' this has genuinely really upset me today so thanks for being nice and for your help :)

You're very welcome, please ask more questions or let us know how you get on. :)

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

Before you walked out the last time from the store did you sign or verbally admit to anything?

If you didnt and the idiot power mad security guard stated you did and thats all the proof they need, then why did they let you walk out of that store and not call the police.

Fully agree you need to make a formal complaint about this.

Request the following as well:

1. Complaint Policy and Procedure.

2. Security Guards Rights to Detain Customers Policy and Procedure.

3. Plain Clothes Security Guards with NO Identification Policy and Procedure.

4. Security Guards Duty of Care Policy and Procedure.

5. Wilkinson Duty of Care to Customers Policy and Procedure.

6. Full Detail of the Security Companies Head Office and Complaints Policy and Procedure.

You need to word this bearing in mind you were a female on your on and this unidentified person in plain clothes with no ID was trying to (if you felt threatened put that) to get you back into wilkinsons store.

Now when this individual that was in plain clothes with no identifiaction came back with a crew in tow you felt in fear of your life until one appeared that was actually in full security uniform.

You require copies of all written documentation of that incident (date,time,location).

If they have CCTV you may need to do a Subject Access Request (SAR) to obtain a copy of the CCTV Footage but you must be aware that they can charge up to £10 for this request.

These PDF on CCTV may be of Use:

• Haha 1

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

I would put a formal complaint in first, then if they try stalling tactics, then go with what stu007 advised. Once they know you are serious, theyll soon back down. The best procedure though is to deal with them calmly and professionally, and only get tough if they wont play ball.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

Thank you so much that is so helpful really appreciate it!! I want him sacked! Is that the best way to go? Yes I did feel threatned it really shook me up to be honest. At first i really as 50/50 as to wether they were just a gang of men!

And no I didn't sign anything or admit to anything (I hadn't done anything so just told them that I'd picked up an item, didnt want to queue so out it back, left and went next door to get it from there-which the lady in store next door could vouch as I was on the phone to my boyfriend before they caught up with me again and said here's your receipt incase anyone asks) I did also wonder why they didnt call police after all of that :???:

Thats a bad idea. Never say you want someone sacked as it will look like you have a vendetta against the person.

The better way to deal with it is to say you want a full investigation performed and would like the guard to be seriously reprimanded. If this fails, then you can go higher up the chain and deal with what you want.

Hi

I have to agree with renegadeimp on this please dont ask for then to be sacked just do as has been said and request a full investigation.

You could also add that you feel there is a would also seem to be a need for better training of the security personal especially when those security guards are stopping customers in plain clothes with no identification.

Therefore can your company clarify the correct procedure that the security guard that was in plain clothes with no identification should have followed on stopping customers off your premises.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 2 months later...
Hi I am hoping some one can advise me if there is anything I can do about this.

I went in to wilkinsons today to get my dog a new toy, i picked it up, walked towards the queue which was huge so decided against it just for a dog toy, i put it back on a shelf and walked out.

I then a had a rather burley bloke come and tap me on the shoulder who was un uniformed,

had no id or had anything showing he worked there tap me on the shoulder and asked me if i had taken anything and not paid for it,

(no alarm etc had gone off)

i said no and then asked if he even worked there (i genuinely thought it was just some strange man as he had no identification and was stood half messing with his phone)

he said he did to which I replied he didnt look like he did, he repeated he did and asked me to go back in to the store...

I looked at him wasn't sure what to believe so just said no and walked off.

I went to the shop next door to buy what i went in to wilkinsons for and when i came out there was the same man with 3 or 4 other uniformed men who then pointed at me.

At this point I started panicking as I wasn't sure what was going on and I was still sure they were just strange men as they all came and stood in front of me.

I got a bit iratate at this point as you would as I have never stolen anything in my life and when i asked why he thought this i just kept being asked to go back in the store

(by this point there was one other man there who did have a uniform on and so i knew it was legit)

I turned to the main guard who was clearly on a power trip and said that I would but I was going to make him look like an idiot as I hadnt got anything

and afterwards I would complain and I wouldn't let this go,

to which he kept repeating 'that's not gonna happen, no you wont' and everytime i said 'oh i will' he got a bit closer and slowed down his words...pure intimidation.

I went back in the store in to their back room past all the staring people

(by which point i started to get upset as it was embarrassing and i was on my own)

There was a lady sitting in the corner who looked like she thought it was all ridic and looked a bit embarassed,

the man in uniform and one of the men un-uniformed.

The un uniformed man asked me what had happened while i was in the shop, i told him.

I also started saying about the fact Im a 26 year old girl on my own and the security guard had no uniform or id etc so what was i supposed to think?

the uniformed man then went on to say it's something they are looking at.

He kept trying to turn it all back on me saying i made a scene outside to which i said i got a bit angry as i was scared and upset

and annoyed as I hadn't done anything and had had these men surrpunding me who i wasn't sure had anything to do with the store!!!..

.It went on and I said for them to look through my bag..

.he said he didn't need to do that as he was happy with what had been said.

..at which point i said i was far from and they hadnt heard the last of it and i left, again with everyone staring :(

It really shook me up and when i got outside a lady called me over bc i started crying and said she was going to call and complain as it was bang out of order.

it has really upset me and i def wont be going back in to shop mainly for the reason i am so embarrased!

I am sat here feeling all bothered, the reason I went in to the shopping centre was to get anxiety medication prescription

and instead got this and then forgot to get my prescription as i just wanted to go home :(

Can anyone advise please?

Thank you

Hi,

Give 01909 505505 a call and speak to the Loss Prevention Department.

They will deal with your complaint.

All Wilko Guards are employees of Wilkinson Hardware Stores.

I hope you get this sorted as this kind of behaviour is totally unacceptable.

Just wanted to add that even if the guard was sacked, it's unlikely that you would be told, as discussing the results of a disciplinary would be a breach of *his* rights. I hope you get a positive outcome on this - I wouldn't have stopped for an unidentified man in those circumstances either, and I suspect That's the case with a lot of women. they clearly need to review their policy on this kind of situation.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

Well, more likely the latter to be honest. I can't imagine many companies in this day and age thinking that a non-uniformed male accosting an unaccompanied woman outside the premises is a good idea. it's not even a good idea for the staff member - people who are scared and intimidated aren't easy to predict, and it's not hard to imagine someone lashing out.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

• 3 months later...

Hi i work in loss prevention.

What has been done to you is called a false arrest and not only should the guard lose his job but you have an excellent legal case against wilkinsons.

I have known people to get out of court payments of 3000 for this.

Also you should take this to your local news,papers etc

reply if you need anymore help.

You must demand a copy of the cctv and do not let this horrible company sweet talk you.

Hi i work in loss prevention.

What has been done to you is called a false arrest and not only should the guard lose his job but you have an excellent legal case against wilkinsons.

I have known people to get out of court payments of 3000 for this.

Also you should take this to your local news,papers etc

reply if you need anymore help.

You must demand a copy of the cctv and do not let this horrible company sweet talk you.

What has happened to the OP is unacceptable, and she's had some good advice ... but I'm not sure YOUR advice is reliable.

You say you work in loss prevention, and that it was a false arrest.

Firstly, it would be "unlawful arrest" (rather than false arrest, a common misconception), and was the OP actually arrested?. If she returned voluntarily, and they never forced her or said "you are under arrest" (or similar) then they can claim she wasn't under arrest, hence no unlawful arrest.

The key for the OP is if she was intimidated to return / remain against her will, where she could be considered to have been falsely imprisoned if she asked to leave and felt unable to do so. However, if she was never told she was under arrest and was never prevented from leaving she would have to demonstrate that their intimidation amounted to an unlawful detention.

You obviously work for wilkinsons she has been falsely detained and she has been stopped as soon as you make the decision to stop someone you are crossing that bridge and must back it up.

She has been taken to the holding room and has suffered by people seeing this.

Again dont try and defend your horrible little company.

This is an unlawful arrest which is called a false arrest in the industry.

You should only stop someone if you are 100% and follow scone

she has a good claim and i would not let the company wilkinson mislead there way out of it they tend to do this on a regular basis because they have poor and untrained security most of who never catch anyone.

Edited by honeybee13

You obviously work for wilkinsons she has been falsely detained and she has been stopped as soon as you make the decision to stop someone you are crossing that bridge and must back it up.

She has been taken to the holding room and has suffered by people seeing this.

Again dont try and defend your horrible little company.

This is an unlawful arrest which is called a false arrest in the industry.

You should only stop someone if you are 100% and follow scone

she has a good claim and i would not let the company wilkinson mislead there way out of it they tend to do this on a regular basis because they have poor and untrained security most of who never catch anyone.

My opening line was "what happened was unacceptable" so I'm not trying to get Wilkinson's off the hook.

The OP is more likely to keep Wilkinson's "on the hook" if her complaint uses correct terminology and can anticipate ways in which she needs to phrase things so they can't wriggle out if it.

As for me "obviously working for Wilkinson's" : you shouldn't let your hurt pride at having your mistake highlighted allow you to become delusional.

I've recently also posted on a thread where I think VirginMedia were unfairly criticised : does that mean I must work for them too?.

If "unlawful arrest" is "commonly known as false arrest" by loss prevention staff : it just highlights why the staff need better training. It being "commonly known" incorrectly doesn't make it right to do so, just that the error is a common one.

How would you have the OP phrase a "particulars of claim" if it went to court : "false arrest" or "unlawful arrest"?

BTW, at least one of the site team knows what my day job is, and it isn't Wilkinson's (nor is it even in the retail sector): so please retract your unfounded accusation. It isn't helpful to the OP, nor is incorrectly phrased advice.

Hmm, I wonder why this thread has been restarted - we have not heard from the original poster for some 4 months - is it likely this long afterwards the OP could make a complaint about something happened back in September 2012 ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D