Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

    • Hi Firstly did you send the Formal Complaint letter I mentioned in post#6 and also did you send a SAR Request??? Right whoever that was from the Housing Association that stated they can do what they want is very sadly wrong and what they had just done by attending your property and trying to change the lock without a Possession Order from the Court is classed as an ILLEGAL EVICTION as a Notice to Quit does not give the Housing Association the Power to attend you Property and try to change the locks. You need to remember if you leave that property with no possession order from the courts and try to get the council to house you as homeless you will be classed as intentionally Homeless therefore you have no right to be given temporary housing by the Council. (as mention in my post=6). You need to do two thing urgently and they are another Formal Complaint to the Housing and to contact them by phone and not ask but demand to speak to the Housing Manager as to why they tried to carryout and Illegal Eviction without a Possession Order from the Courts by trying to change the Locks to your Property.   Dear Sir/Madam FORMAL COMPLAINT Reference: ATTEMPTED ILLEGAL EVICTION WITHOUT A POSSESSION ORDER FROM THE COURTS Today 18th June 2024 at approx XXXXhrs a Housing Officer attended my Property with a Locksmith to change the locks to my property unaware that I was in the property at the time and breaking into my property all caught on my doorbell camera. When challenged by myself on this matter that the Housing Association required a Possession Order from the Courts to even think about changing the Locks to my Property your Housing Officer was obnoxious and insisted that the Notice to Quit letter gave him all the powers he required to therefore change the Locks to my Property. What the Housing Association have just tried to do is to carryout what is classed as an ILLEGAL EVICTION as you did not have a 'POSSESSION ORDER from the COURTS' and a 'Notice to Quit' Letter does not give your Housing Association Carte Blanche to carry out such action as a Notice to Quit Letter is only the start of any Housing Association process for evicting a Tenant as your Housing Association should be fully aware of. The actions of your Housing Officer were all recorded on my Mobile Phone as well so I have full evidence of the Housing Association actions in attempting an Illegal Eviction which I will also be making the Courts fully aware of when you take this to Court to get a Possession Order. The actions of the Housing Association and specifically your Housing Officer have caused untold stress due to the above and I require an urgent meeting to explain your actions due to the above which I find absolutely disgraceful by the Housing Association and also require the following: 1. Your Eviction Policy (not the leaflet) 2. Copy of your Complaints Policy (not the leaflet) 3. Copy of your Customer Care Charter (not the leaflet) 4. Copy of your Equality and Diversity Policy (not the leaflet)   
    • the same 3 question on the n180 are asked before the mediation can begin. so you then say ... despite numerous requests dating back over 1yrs the claimant nor their sols have supplied me with requested paperwork to enable me to make an informed decision upon entering into mediation. i therefore refuse. you are doing the same thing again you did last year  https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/458251-linkkearns-claimform-old-barclaycard-debt-now-n244/?do=findComment&comment=5232418    
    • I'm compiling a brief list of points to state in tomorrow's mediation call.  it would seem that I have to come to an agreement of some sort. Seeing as most of the defence, lack of genuine paperwork evidence from the claimant, mild threats etc. seems to go in my favour, is it best to mediate for that agreement or to let it run to court?  Short of the 6 year rule playing out, I'm going to have to pay up somehow, so why don't I just end it tomorrow? By paying I mean, not hurling myself off a cliff.    
    • @ReuTheo Thanks very much. Coincidentally, it has now been exactly over 1 year since I sent my parcel with Evri and began my enquiries with them as to where my parcel is (and eventually coming to this forum / starting this thread). I understand how you are feeling. It's why I kept this thread active and detailed, so anyone who reads it, can clearly understand what was happening at each stage of the process, so they don't feel anxious or overwhelmed with the process through MCOL, mediation, arranging for trial, working through the WS / Court bundle, and finally going in front of a judge. The work has been put in so hopefully you (and everyone else) now has a good WS template to use and build the case. I agree the legal language and specifics are not easy to understand at first glance by layman / non-legal persons. What I found useful is reading the WS and researching some of the Acts in my own time so that I could understand the legal speak. This reading / research really helped me to have a clear idea of what the rules/laws are and how they apply to my case (and likely your case also). As you know, this is a self-help forum so you certainly got to put in the time/work to understand your case/argument. It will be worth it in the end (I say this from personal experience - given this time last year, I was banging my head against a wall with Evri and couldn't see the light at the end of the tunnel). Above all else, the team on this forum such as @BankFodder and @jk2054 are a tremendous help with getting the WS in the right state and giving guidance. Don't be afraid to ask questions on this forum - it's for your ultimate benefit (even if sometimes the responses seem harsh - don't take it personally. If my experience is anything to go by, it'll help give clarity and maybe even close a potential gap in your case). Good luck with your case.
    • Boeing's CEO defended the company and pledged that it has learned from past mistakes.View the full article
  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

just returned from spain after losing house with 2 children and not entitled to benefits

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4299 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts


can anyone please help!!! myself, my partner, and 2 teenage boys (both under 16) have had to return to uk after living in spain for 7 years. (my partner 3 years). we are in the process of having our house in spain repossessed. in the last few months that we were there we were having to sell our possessions just to survive.


in the end we had to sell the last of our furniture in order to be able to travel back to uk as we had nothing left to live on out there. we have now been back for 2 weeks and are staying with a friend.


we have one room between the four of us. we applied for jsa and have been refused. they say we have to have lived here for 8 weeks before we can even apply. we have also been told that we cannot claim any child tax credits for our children for 8 weeks. nor housing benefit.


this means we have no financial help whatsoever and have to live in one room with our teenage boys for at least another 8 weeks. (we are two women). i dont understand why we are being treated like this.


i cant believe that they wont even support the children. we are looking for work with no luck so far. does anyone know of any other benefits we may be able to claim. my children are waiting for a place in a school, but i wont even be able to buy them a uniform.

please help!!!!!

Edited by citizenB
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello and welcome to CAG.


I'm sure the guys will be along when they can, but please bear in mind that your query isn't an everyday one. I'm sure some of the forum members will know, but you may need to bear with us until they see your thread.


Is it possible that your family/ies could help you?


My best, HB

Illegitimi non carborundum




Link to post
Share on other sites

hi honeybee

not really. they already done all they could while we were in spain. we now owe almost 10,000 to family trying to save the house and survive etc. so not only have we lost the house, were now in debt. really dont know what to do next. i thought the government would at least have to make sure the children were ok. if i was to purposely not give my children their basic needs it would be neglect. so i dont understand that the government can neglect them.

im not on the scrounge, but i thought my own country would support me and my family when we have no other choices.



Link to post
Share on other sites

You might also obtain some advice from Citizen's Advice Bureau or Shelter regarding the housing situation.


You will find your local CAB office by googling.


Shelter's details can be found on the following link.



  • Haha 1

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read


1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take it you are not British Citizens?


I know that the Government have tightened things up as they felt many people were just coming here so they could claim benefits. Do you have any family you could stay with or who could support you? I think that is what is expected to happen when the sick and disabled have their sanctions placed when they are too ill to comply, relying on relatives/friends/charity, same here I guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites


yes we are british citizens. we have have british passports and lived in uk for our whole lives, till going to spain 7 years ago. mainly to try to give the children a better life. but spain crashed and we got caught up in it. friends and family have already done all they can.


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rose if you absolutely have to, the children can be placed voluntarily into care and they will go to foster homes for the 8 weeks so they will be fed, clothed for school etc. it's a voluntary thing and once your housing and benefits are sorted they would come straight home. I know that would be a last resort (would be for me too) but I'm just saying it is an option if all else fails and they risk being hungry.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I dealt with a client with nearly the same problem and sadly you aren't entitled to benefits or housing straight away. There are rules and time limits. Hopefully Shelter will be able be able to help or go in and speak to CAB, who will give you the time scale and help available.

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

often where a person moves to the UK from abroad, they are not eligible for social security unless they can satisfy the DWP/LA that they are habitually resident in the UK (or common travel area)


it sounds like the DWP are not satisfied that you are habitually resident


if so, ask for a reconsideration of the refusal, read paragraphs 071351 to 071353 at http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/dmgch0703.pdf as this may help you


alternative information on habitual residency can be found at http://www.housing-rights.info/habitual-residence-test.php

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

thanx for info dansco. i am really shocked at the system. especially that it can neglect a childs needs. im going to phone shelter today. i have been told to put in a fresh claim now that we have been here for longer and to keep doing it every week till they accept the claim and are satisfied that we are going to be living here. although i am really gutted at the moment that we have no other choice. i cant believe in a country that refuse to help its own people when they are genuinly in need of support and assistance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not 100% on this but if a Spanish person (or other European person) moves country I believe they are entitled to benefits from the country they are/were living in. What I am saying here is that a foreign national moving to the UK should not qualify for benefits until they have paid at least 12 months tax / national insurance and can continue to claim on the country they have moved FROM for 12 months. If you have been paying tax in Spain then you may be entitled to claim under their system I think for 12 months.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Spanish Contribution-Based Benefits


Working and paying contributions in Spain gives you entitlement to a number of Spanish social security benefits. These benefits include unemployment benefit and permanent and temporary incapacity benefit. Note that paying contributions as a self-employed worker or autónomo does not give you entitlement to unemployment benefit in Spain.

If you have worked in Spain but have been told that you do not have entitlement to Spanish social security benefits as you have not paid enough national insurance contributions, you must make sure you declare the contributions you have made in the UK. They can be used to make up any entitlement as though they were paid in Spain. Also make sure that, as for any benefit application, you apply in writing.

Spanish unemployment benefit


You should apply for unemployment benefit in Spain if you have been working here and paying contributions. Make your claim at your local employment office in Spain.

You should also state any previous periods of contributions in the UK. You can prove previous periods of contribution in the UK by filling out a CA3916 and applying for a statement of National Insurance contributions from HM Revenue & Customs to assist Unemployment Benefit claims.

Further information on Spanish unemployment benefit

Link to post
Share on other sites

I returned to the UK earlier this year after ten years in the Far East.I immediately contacted the benefits office and they sent me out an habitual residence form (ask for HRT2 04/08) to fill in.It is six pages long and full of questions.I did a lot of online research,filled it in and was able to get full benefits two weeks after arriving back.(JSA and housing benefit)


When i get a moment i will post the points i used in my argument.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites


thankyou. this may help so much. i will await your reply. i have phoned jsa again and asked them to review the decision. someone is going to call me today to hear me out. but the lady i spoke to informed me that the decision would be the same as there is a set rule that people returning to uk after more than 2 years have to wait for a period of 12 weeks. although on our letter it says after 8 weeks we can claim again. i have looked on the government link that someone has given on this site, and it says that it all depends and there is no set rule. so i am now really confused. it says that it depends on what ties you have here and what you are doing to prove you will live in uk. we are registered at a doctors, all our medical records are being transfered to uk, we have a one way ferry ticket, have applied for schools, have a bank account here, have all our families and friends here, looking for work. i dont know what else i can tell them to prove myself to them. sooooo frustrated!!!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I found government websites of no help when filling out the habitually resident form.I did lots of research into case law,looked at sites like Rightsnet and extracted the following points which got me full benefits in 13 days.


1) I was born in this country and lived here continually for 22 years before going to Singapore.


2) Both my parents are British born.


3) Sold or am selling all assets in Singapore.


4) Closed bank/brokerage accounts in Singapore.


5) Arranged long term accomodation in the UK.


6) Bought a single plane ticket to the UK.


7) Registered with a UK doctor and dentist.


8) Never closed UK bank/building/stockbroker accounts.Used accounts while in Singapore.


9) Maintained close links with friends and family in the UK.


10) Now no property in Singapore.


11) Have had no contact with Singapore except for to conclude move.



That's it.All you have to do is show intent to stay here.All the case law,UK and European mentions intent.That is hard to disprove if you use facts like those above.

Edited by mekongmarcus
Link to post
Share on other sites

Their argument is that you could always go back to Spain and not stay in the UK. The whole Habitual Resident supposedly means like Mekon stated, proving you are staying for good. Speak to CAB or other advice service ASAP and they might be able to help with the appeal forms.

Work for my local CAB but my views and advice are my own. Try AdviceGuide or Adviceline (08444 111 444) for CAB help ;)

Link to post
Share on other sites

other side of the coin here..you cant really expect to show up in the uk after living abroad for several years and expect the authorities to just sort you out,did you really think you would just get a council house straight away and plenty of benefits excetera when you just popped back?,theres loads of people already been in the system for years

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...