Beware fake MoT certificates

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Conmen are exploiting a flaw in new style MoT certificates to rip-off motorists.

Watchdogs are warning that the new test certificates can be easily faked by crooks selling secondhand cars to give the impression that a car is road-worthy.

The warning comes after a 38-year-old man was arrested by Cleveland Police on suspicion of forging MoT test certificates. He has been released on bail.

The Trading Standards Institute has voiced concern over the new system, in which the paper certificates are simply receipts for work carried out and not proof that an MoT took place.

Proof of a valid test is kept online by the Vehicle & Operator Services Agency, VOSA.

"We are concerned that motorists still do not know that paper certificates are no longer proof of existence of a valid MoT certificate," said Gerald Taylor, the Institute's lead officer for motor vehicles.

"The downloaded certificate be altered and abused at will using the simplest of computer software available with nearly every personal computer.

"There is also the possibility that unscrupulous traders, and service and repair outlets, could agree to MoT a vehicle and charge accordingly but not carry out the test at all - the prospective purchaser would be none the wiser unless they go online."

The advice from watchdog is: if a seller won't let you check a vehicle's MoT online before you buy, walk away.

You can check MoT records through the VOSA website, [email protected] or the MoT enquiry line 08703 300 444.

http://blogs.mirror.co.uk/investigations/2012/09/beware-fake-mot-certificates.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mirror%2Finvestigations+%28Mirror+-+Investigations%29

You would of thought that the DOT would of took this into consideration when coming up with the 'new style' of certificate. Ridiculous springs to mind!

Please Note

The advice I offer will be based on the information given by the person needing it. All my advice is based on my experiences and knowledge gained in working in the motor and passenger transport industries in various capacities. Although my advice will always be sincere, it should be used as guidence only.

I would always urge to seek face to face professional advice for clarification prior to taking any action.

Please click my reputation 'star' button at the bottom of my profile window on the left if you found my advice useful.