paint flaking off steel rims

vwcaddy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4192 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks

I am stuck and hope one of you clever people can help me.

I bought a new VW Caddy last year for work, 03/11, and after a few months the paint started flaking off the 2 rims on the driver side only. No problems on the passenger side... I mentioned this to VW at time of service, 03/12, but heard nothing back.

Yesterday I cleaned the van and noticed that the paint has now flaked off on about 25% - 35% of the driver side rims. Both front and back. Drove over to VW and they fobbed me off with it's down to "external factors" and will not be covered under the warranty.

WHAT is "external factors"

I only ask because the guy at the dealer couldn't tell me and said that the warranty manager said it's "you know, external factors"

Has any of you come across this before? Surely this is a new van and they can at least respray them? It looks really tatty...

Thanks for your help in advance!!

This problem is not unheard of. The local paint company had similar trouble with a small Citroen van. I don't know why this happens but suspect that since small vans are relatively low cost vehicles that wheel pre painting preparation is minimal at best. To simply respray them would only last a few months at most.

Thought----why not try and get them to fit a good quality set of wheel trims that would impro ve look of van??

There is a quite straight forward processfor paint claims across all manufactuers. If you can hand on heart say that the wheels have not been kerbed, then you need to tell them to take photographs and submit a paint warranty authorisation form to VW asking of a repaint/repair. Ask for the reference number of this submission. If this comes back as rejected then let us know.

Sounds like a lazy dealer to me.

• 2 weeks later...

** Update **

Hi folks, thanks for the responses and ideas.

@Heliosuk - Lazy indeed... They have now confirmed that this is not covered under warranty. The chap has never heard of a paint warranty authorisation form... Awaiting written response with reason. Will let you know when I find out!

@scaniaman - Wheeltrims are a good idea, I will do that going forward.

@Ashmk - All on email right now. Once I have the reason for why it is not covered under warranty, I will certainly be writing to head office.

Thanks again folks!!

@Heliosuk - Lazy indeed... They have now confirmed that this is not covered under warranty. The chap has never heard of a paint warranty authorisation form... Awaiting written response with reason. Will let you know when I find out!

Any paint repairs under warranty have to have a prior authorisation report submitted. I do not know of a manufactuer who does not employ this process. I know for a fact that VW/Audi group employ this.

I take it it is a franchised dealer? How otherwise does the manufactuer authorise repairs. It might all be done on line now so ask for the authourisation reference number. You need this to ensure they have done it and secondly if it does get rejected it can be traced when you escalate it. Whoever said it's not covered is either extremely stupid or needs to give the reason why the manufactuer has rejected it. Reality is they have probably not submitted the claim for authorisation.

• 1 month later...

UPDATE!! 4 new steel rims!!! Hooray

Hi all

I got 4 new rims fitted today and not a single penny spent.

I spoke to VW Commercial Vehicles head office to get some clarification on the warranty offered on commercial vehicles versus private cars and they put me into contact with there customer service team who in turn put me into contact with a case manager to deal with my complaint. He then tried to contact my local van centre and got no where, just like me. In the end he agreed that I had spent enough time and effort on this and agreed to change the 2 affected rims and the other 2 as well, to say sorry and those have now been fitted!! At last! Result!

Thanks to all for your words of encouragement and support!