Jump to content

I.S stopped but still get Incapacity ben.would this still entitle me to HB?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi all.


I need advice regarding my new situation.


I have recieved Incapcity Benefit since 1995 when an accident at work rendered me unfit. ( i was a care nurse)

I have 2 children and my oldest has just tuned 16.

I got a letter from income support telling me as ****** turns 16 they want to know what he will be doing after school. I wrote them a letter including a copy of his college registration and acceptance forms.


I then was told that my Incapacity Benefit was changing to ESA . i am waiting for the outcome of the form i filled in for Atos Medical.

Child tax credits also contacted me to ask what my son was doing after he turned 16 and they are going to carry on paying me money to help feed/clothe him..


however today when i got no money at all ( incapacity and income support payable fortnightly) i rang the DWP and was told as tax have taken over finally of the childrens money for them i would only get my incapacity & my Industrial Injuries to live on.

( they didnt let me know via letter at all...) & i would be paid late this week as it was only sent today and takes 3 working days to reach my account...

as a result of this she said i was no longer in reciept of Income support..( i had to raid my savings today to tie us over till i get paid)


I am now wondering what will happen to my Housing/Council tax benefit... no one has explained anything to me and i am now sat here worrying about what will happen.

I was on the *old system* were i never got child tax credits separately but for last 2 wks i have done & it's all gone up in the air..


any advice would be greatly appreciated...i have been told by the DWP my money will stay the same just paid seperately...But my main concern now is my housing Benefit as i dont know if i will be liable to pay full rent, Dental treatment, prescriptions fee's ect


thanks in advance for any help......

Link to post
Share on other sites

@ SWLABR9 Thank you... i have been trying for yrs to get my back sorted but short of an op that will 99% render me paralysed i cant work and it upsets me as i would love to live a normal life were i work....every thing has just gone wrong at the moment.

I get IB ( higher rate) Industrial Injuries Benefit & my hubby gets ICA as our son has Cerebral Palsy and he is his carer...i do not claim DLA for myself at all...i,m just getting told alsorts of conflicting things that once you go to ESA your HB will stop!

Link to post
Share on other sites

lisbonloafers, your HB and CTB will need to be reassessed to take into account your current income/capital/circumstances, as you are no longer on income support, there is a probability that your HB and CTB may reduce

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

Link to post
Share on other sites

That's what i was thinking. i dont mind paying somehting towards my rent but i cudnt afford the full £80 a wk rent + council tax... it's a weird thing really. all this because i have changed over to child Tax credits.... it's been a worry and a farce !

thank you so much for taking the time to reply and give me advice much needed

Link to post
Share on other sites

My brother is still on incap (for some reason) & has to pay a small amount towards his rent & council tax, he also doesn't get free dental care, as they seem to class Incap as income he says. They give slightly more to people on Incap than they do people on JSA, but take it away with the other hand! Out of order I think.

Link to post
Share on other sites

tell him to get a HC1 form and if IB is his only income he should get a HC2 cert, that gives free prescriptions and dental care. The form is from the NHS not the DWP. I only found out about it when I was waiting in a dentist waiting room some years back and noticed the forms on the shelf.


I am on the highest IB rate possible and I qualify for a HC2.

Link to post
Share on other sites
he also doesn't get free dental care, as they seem to class Incap as income he says.


This is correct. IB is generally more than your applicable amount (the same amount as JSA, basically) and because it's not an income based benefit, you need to apply for help with health costs using HC1.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...