style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4248 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I had a court order for unpaid Council Tax from last financial year of about £250.

To cut a long story short

I spoke to the Council and they said they couldnt do anything and told me to make an arrangement with the specific Baliff

He eventually phoned me this evening and I told him I would like to make an arrangement.

He was rude and abrupt from the start and said he would visit me and we would come to an arrangement face to face and I would have to sign documents.

Now I have been advised not to let them in your home and not to sign any documents so I refused this.

On several occasions during the conversation I told him I would be perfectly happy to pay the debt off.

When I told him I would not meet him he went mental and told me he had other means of getting the debt and put the phone down on me.

So presumably I am going to get a visit off this fool. Where do I stand ?

Thanks for quick reply.

I could probably pay it off in about 2 months.

Bizzarely the Council werent helpful and told me to speak direct to Equita.

I think I might phone the Council again tomorrow.

My main concern is what to do if I speak to Baliff again

or if he just turns up which he has threatened to do.

Thanks for quick reply. I could probably pay it off in about 2 months. Bizzarely the Council werent helpful and told me to speak direct to Equita. I think I might phone the Council again tomorrow. My main concern is what to do if I speak to Baliff again or if he just turns up which he has threatened to do.

Which council is it?

My views are based on experience I would always urge you to do some further research and if in doubt seek legal advice.

council tax bailiffs have little/no powers if you have a car keep it away from your property to prevent a levy

do not let bailiffs in they have no right of entry

do not sign anything. bailiffs will lie and cheat you into paying them

pay money direct to council online using correct reference numbers

as it is last years debt it will be classed as a low priority

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Southampton

If memory serves me right your Council hived out all their admin functions to a company called Capita.

Therefore when you ring you don't actually speak to a Council employee.

Capita employees are renowned for not being helpful.

Did I also say Capita own 2 Bailiff Co's one of which just so happens to be Equita

- I assume you see where this leads.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the Council cannot refuse to accept payment from you..

...if you can clear the the LO in one then that is best but if you can pay half now and the rest next month do so direct to the Council.

You do not have to speak or deal with this bailiff and as long as you do not give him entry to your home or leave anything outside for him to levy on..

(keep your car parked at least 10 mins walk away from the house)

then as soon as that 2nd payment is made he cannot levy to his fees.

WD

Sorry another question ! Not that I think it will come to this but what does "levy the car mean" ? Can they just turn up and take the car ? How if it is locked up ? Also we have two cars one is in my wifes name one is in my daughters are they fair game to a Baliff?

Sorry another question ! Not that I think it will come to this but what does "levy the car mean" ? Can they just turn up and take the car ? How if it is locked up ? Also we have two cars one is in my wifes name one is in my daughters are they fair game to a Baliff?

Levy means to seize the car, thay add more fees tfor this and if you don't pay they take the car and sell it. basically you hide cars out of sight of the bailiff until the debt is sorted, if you do as suggested and pay the council, and they say the LO is satisfied, the bailiff cannot enforce for his fees alone, he would have to sue you in County Court and sweasr all fwees were correct. he will likely be unwilling to do this.

It is better to avoid a levy.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

I also tried to speak to Equita Head Office yesterday and they say I can only liase with the Baliff. Is this true ?

In my view they are being obstructive as this is designed to gather more fees both for the Bailiff and the Company - totally wrong.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Phoned someone that seemed know what they are doing this morning at the Council and they will accept payment direct and inform the Baliffs. I am going to borrow the money from a relative and then pay em back (luckily I get paid next week) . The guy from the Council (who incidently admitted he worked for Capita) said I would still be liable for Baliff fees. When I suggested the Baliff would have to go through a County Court to claim them back he said that was incorrect and the Baliff could chase fees on there own and also keep adding charges. Any thoughts on that?

Phoned someone that seemed know what they are doing this morning at the Council and they will accept payment direct and inform the Baliffs. I am going to borrow the money from a relative and then pay em back (luckily I get paid next week) . The guy from the Council (who incidently admitted he worked for Capita) said I would still be liable for Baliff fees. When I suggested the Baliff would have to go through a County Court to claim them back he said that was incorrect and the Baliff could chase fees on there own and also keep adding charges. Any thoughts on that?

Did you record the call? That would be good evidence as once LO discharged bailiff cannot enforce for fees alone, nor add more . Sounds like Crapita employee trying to make sure his Equita colleague gets his beer tokens imho

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The bailiff: A 12th Century solution re-branded as Enforcement Agents for the 21st Century to seize and sell debtors goods as before Oh so Dickensian!

Did you record the call? That would be good evidence as once LO discharged bailiff cannot enforce for fees alone, nor add more . Sounds like Crapita employee trying to make sure his Equita colleague gets his beer tokens imho

Just had a thought about this....

In normal circumstance (though not so normal these days), the direct payment to the council, if paid in full, would settle the liability order so long as they didn't pass on anything to the bailiff.

There's a complication in these circumstances where council tax administration is outsourced to a contractor (Crapita). When a direct payment is thought to be made to the council, it is in actual fact made to Crapita. I therefore can't see Crapita doing the same as the council, i.e. classing the liability order as settled.

As they own Equita, they have a financial interest to pass on fees and consequently leaving the corresponding amount unsettled on the liability order, so it is still levyable (if that's a word).

Edited by outlawla

Just had a thought about this....

In normal circumstance (though not so normal these days), the direct payment to the council, if paid in full, would settle the liability order so long as they didn't pass on anything to the bailiff.

There's a complication in these circumstances where council tax administration is outsourced to a contractor (Crapita). When a direct payment is thought to be made to the council, it is in actual fact made to Crapita. I therefore can't see Crapita doing the same as the council, i.e. classing the liability order as settled.

As they own Equita, they have a financial interest to pass on fees and consequently leaving the corresponding amount unsettled on the liability order, so it is still levyable (if that's a word).

I'll go with that thought. Maybe I might go with the diito's as well!!!!

Question for Philx - how many times has the Bailiff visited you? Has any correspondence come via Royal Mail or has it been "hand delivered"? Reason for asking is to formulate how much in lawful fees you may have to pay.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]