Jump to content

On Housing Benefit and Have Bad Credit

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3635 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi I'm currently unemployed and am claiming housing benefit and I need to move from my current location for so many reasons that I'd be here all day, however, one of them does include that I want to move to a different part of the country to increase my chances of finding work.


My problem is I've found a couple of letting agents that accept housing benefit but want to do a credit check first plus require a guarantor. The first problem is the credit check. I have just had a credit report done by Experian and it is very bad, mainly due to missed payments and also I'm overdrawn with my ex-bank and they are now going to pass the debt onto a third party.


The thing is I knew this already and know my credit situation won't change unless I get a job. Secondly, the guarantor situation. I am estranged from my family so have no one to provide a guarantor for me.


I have tried Gumtree but the problem is because I don't drive I can't afford to keep travelling to the area to look at flats plus even private landlords seem to want guarantors these days.



It is so frustrating as I have the deposit, plus I will be able to get a reference from my current landlord and I have been trying to move from my current accommodation for well over 6 months now but because of the above situation I am stuck. I apologise for this being so long and hope somebody out there can give me some advice. Many thanks.

Edited by citizenB
Link to post
Share on other sites

I sympathise with your situation, Leo.

What type of accom are you in currently?

I assume you only qualify for single person current LHA (HB) rate?


I doubt you will find a LLprepared to offer you a Tenancy without an employed house-owner G to offset your poor personal credit record, esp if they use a LA for T checks. Whilst there may be some, the T should be wary of the quality of LL and property on offer.


Other option may be to find an owner-occupier looking to rent-a-room in their house or some T with LL permission to sublet. With rent a room you would only be a lodger, (excluded occupier) with few rights. In the latter case, the other T is your LL, and not his LL.


After some internet research by you, would be to move to preferred area for a week, staying in cheap B&B or budget hotel and look for work & suitable accom - local ads, newsagents windows, pub contacts etc.


Sorry if this sounds a bit like Norman Tebbit saying 'Get on your bike', but once you know the area's potential, you can arrange a move at a time to suit and give Notice on your current accom.

Edited by citizenB
Link to post
Share on other sites

You might also try having a word with shelter :) They have all kinds of advice for situation such as this. they dont just deal with homeless issues.



Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group


Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **


Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first


1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read





2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS


Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.



Link to post
Share on other sites

You might also want to speak to your local authority housing department (in the new area you want to move to if necessary) about the possibility of using their deposit/rent guarantee scheme. You'll need to meet certain criteria, so will need to speak to them directly to see if you qualify.

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...