Problems with garage and second hand car

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I purchased a car on 24/07/2012 from a local garage in my hometown, Leyland, Lancashire.

When I got the car the oil pressure light came on when the car was ticking over. I immediately took the car back to the garage, I was told the car was OK to use until they could get me into the garage a week later (they use a third party garage)

A few days later the car began to sound very loud/rattley. I also noticed that leaving the stereo on for 2-3 mins after turning the engine off would drain the battery so much the car could not be started. Again I told the garage this straight away and they said they would book it in the garage when they could.

Finally, they booked the car into the garage for 13th August 2012, after many attempts of contact. xxxxxxxxxx lent me a small Ford KA. The car has been with the third party garage ever since. I have repeatedly called xxxxxxxxxx for updates. I was first informed that the garage was inspecting the car, and that they would provide an update later on that day. I did not receive the call as promised and had to return the call myself. I tried calling them again over the following days and was continually informed that the garage was still trying to diagnose the fault. Following this, I was told mixed stories, that a part had been sent off, and that the garage was still investigating the engine.

My car insurance policy only covers me to drive a car lent by a garage for up to 7 days. I had expected the car back by this point. I had to pay a £36 insurance premium from my insurance company, to insure me for following next 7 days (20/08 – 27/08). Again, numerous phone calls were made to chase the progress of the repairs and excuses were made. I have again had to pay another £36 for the current week (27/08 – 03/08) on top of the high premiums I pay every month regardless.

I again called xxxxxxxxxx today to chase the progress of the repairs. I was informed that it was their day off and was given the direct number of the garage. I did call the garage directly who told me that they had not done any diagnostics on the car and that they were waiting for a space on their engine stands.

I was lied to and I have lost all faith in the garage and the car and am seeking advice regarding rejection of the car.

I understand under the SOGA I may be able to reject the car as it is less than 6 mths since I purchased the car.

All advice is greatly greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

• Haha 1

In these circumstances I would say that you are entitled to reject the car.

Put them on notice that you wil reject the car if they do not sort it out within 7 days. - You have to give them this notice.

If the car is not fixed by then, send them a letter confirming rejection and giveing them 7 days to return all of your money or you will sue.

After 7 days, sue them for the money - any extra losses and add £300 for inconvenience- as lng as the entire claim is less than £5k.

Don't threaten unless you intend to carry out your threat - but suing the small claims court is easy and relatively risk free.

On the basis of what you say here, your chances of success are extremely high.

Keep all paperwork and do nothing on the phone unless you record the calls.