style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3223 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In a 12 month contract with supanet, which I have fulfilled, and now want to move to BT to get on their fibre infinity package. At the start of this month I called thier cancellations department and gave notice to cancel my account with them. I didnt get a name for who I spoke to but the guy told me this would incur a cancellation fee which I have paid, and that my account would be terminated on the 27th of August and MAC code delivered to me in 5 working days.

The code never came and I contacted them again. The person I spoke to informed me there was no record of this payment and put me on hold while he talked to his manager to sort me out with a MAC code. When he came back he told me that the code would be sent to me later in the day, which it was. We then cancelled our direct debits to supanet and ordered the new package with BT.

This weekend we recieved a letter from supanet informing us we would have to pay a £40 cancellation fee and that our service was to be terminated on the 27th of September. Today (28th) our internet is still active and is the first time I can call them with regards this letter. I spoke to cancellations again and they said that they had no record of this initial payment, they also confirmed that as far as they are concerned our account will be active until the 27th of September. The guy on the phone said that I send them a letter along with a proof of payment of this cancellation fee.

Should I set back up a payment for next month and go with it, along with firing of this letter with proof or is this the beginning of being mucked around by this company? All it says on my bank statement is "www . supanet . com" I'm not sure if they will admit that it is a mistake on thier part and drop the fee, from what I read of them and past experience they are a bit of a bully and a set of cowboys.

I just want rid of this company to be honest and move on to somebody else...

Who can I go to for advice with this kind of thing? I know they haven't done anything strictly out of order yet but cannot help but get the feeling from past experience this is the beginning of trouble with them.

Hi stan

Welcome to CAG

If you have fulfilled the 12 month contract, why is there a cancellation fee?

I think you should fight them, have a read of the following (As you say, they should of cancelled when you contacted them originally):-

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?350126-Supanet-xxxxxxxxxx-****-Resolved****

There are lots of things you can do, they think you will 'roll over'.

Please let us know how your problem has been resolved, it could help fellow Caggers.

Its because as it is with them they sneak it in in the contract that even though the term is 12 months, you are infact bound to fullfil 2 years before you are fee free, if you cancel within the 12 months you incur a disconnection fee of £60 on top of the cancellation fee so it is basically £100 to leave which is crazy...

Thank you for your link, I have already prepared a letter that I'm going to send out tomorrow recorded delivery, it contains a statement from my bank which proves we have paid them the money, if they deny this then I will just challenge them like the lady did in your link.

I'm still unsure whether or not to pay for September as it is convenient for us to keep our internet online before we switch over, plus it saves having another thing for them to throw at us. I dont mind paying a couple of the fee's provided they aren't taking the mick and fabricating charges I shouldn't have to pay (i.e. this fee I have already paid for).

Thanks for the advice and I will keep you posted.

Past experience with them I know they are not, one of the many reasons i want to leave. I have realised that I have infact cancelled the DD a month too early anyway, so I am going to re-instate it for the time being. If I miss paying a bill I should be paying for it gives them a leg to stand on in terms of trying to get money out of me so I think it is in my interests to do that.

I'll report everything here because I know this wont be quick and easy and its a good way of keeping a log of everything that is happening.

Deal with them in writing. Read section 6 of this document http://www.supanet.com/live/pdf/code_of_practice.pdf If they don't give you what you want, ask them for a DEADLOCK letter so you can escalate your complaint, and keep us informed here so we can tell you any further options :)

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar