New doors not working and double glazing salesman advice please!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3212 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, I have recently 3 months ago purchased two new composite front and back doors from a well known local double glazing firm. We have had various problems from leaking letterboxes through to draughts, doors swelling up in the warm weather and not shutting properly through to the doors not locking at all. The locking mechanisms have been changed, the letterbox sealed, other bits adjusted. They have been back at least half a dozen times. The front door is now only locking because it has been drowned in WD40, how long will that last I ask myself.

I have been offered no apology from anyone, but am still being invoiced for the half I never payed up front but am now thinking I may refuse to pay in full. Its obvious that there is something not right. We were told these doors are made to slam!

After all the convenience I have been put through, and the doors still aren't right. I think I would prefer a refund or atleast a heavy discount for what seems unacceptable quality and workmanship.

Any advice gratefully received.

Good that you did not all of the price, or doubt you would seen them return at all.

Certainly keep some of it, normally 5% or 10% for at least 6 months to see if have any further problems.

If you dont pay, they may well take you to court for payment and will add interest, plus costs.

What have you said so far to them about the doors, do you want them replaced or refitted??

You must put the faults in writing to them and give them and oppunity to put right within a certain time frame, say 14 days or you will take legal action to get your money back that you have paid.

see what their response is.

Hi Chris,

Doors tend to develop faults a few years after they were fitted - mainly caused by the door dropping over time.

To have this number of problems within 3 months makes me wonder if they were fitted correctly. In which case, I would ask a senior member of the firm to visit and inspect the doors.

We were told these doors are made to slam!

This is rubbish !!

A door should close easily with no effort and certainly no need to slam. Also, the lock should operate with minimal force when lifting the handle to operate the multi-point locking system.

If you need to slam a door or apply any force to lock it, it needs inspecting, adjusting or replacing.

The frames sides, top and bottom and the door (closed) should all be checked to see they are absolutely square. If not, bad fitting may be evident.

If the company won't take your concerns seriously, you can complain to your local Trading Standards.

Speak to a senior staff member and get an inspection carried out. If that doesn't happen, or go well, put your concerns in writing promptly, setting out how you want this resolved an dgiving a time frame.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)