Dealing with Debt

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4252 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been in and out of debt for the last 32 years and the current debt is nowhere as large as some of the previous one, however when I had larger debts I was able to work and now I am not so 5k of debt is a huge amount for me to pay back on disability benefits.

All I can say to anyone is in the last 12 weeks I have paid back £1430 of it using £500 which was the last of any savings I had so £930 was down to me finally doing my figures correctly, not ignoring letters or binning them without opening and checking my bank online everyday which was a complete mystery before that to me I had no clue and lived in complete vagueness. I finally admitted I clearly had a problem with how I handled and thought about money and got myself to DA (Debtors Anonymous) its not the 'god squad' if it were I certainly for one wouldnt have stuck around for the last 3 months, there aren't many meetings near me so I did pay out £46 for a Skype package of just making as many calls to the USA as I like for a year, and I do this everyday I attend a meeting in the comfort of my own home talking and hearing from people who were like me and taking on board how to do this 'complete mystery' of balancing the books as it was then.

Just wanted to give hope to anyone else, its not always about paying a £1 a month or whatever for the next 140 years but also about taking some action and now I have a spending plan and in that I have categories for clothes, meals out, fuel etc etc I haven't felt deprived of anything, in fact I have had more because I am using money more wisely.

Never give up hope :)