Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4022 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Please see my thread- NatWest followed my prelim with a nasty letter and an I&E form.

The letter said even if they do find hardship they may not pay back charges and may take debit card and facilities from account.

And they want a full list of my assets (including house/equity) and liabilities- even though I don't owe them anything. I have completed and sent off- we'll see what happens.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/NatWest-bank/156567-emma-NatWest.html

emma you MUST complain NOW to the FSA sending them a copy of Nat West threatening letter. This will stop Nat West from withdrawing you facilities

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I put in a claim in the early part of last year but it was refused, it worked out at just under £400 with expenses etc. Halifax refused to return the charges and I heard about the bank charges test case so decided to leave it to see what would transpire. With nothing happening now and now my partner cannot work and in receipt of benefits can I claim them back under the hardship route?

Just to clarify these charges were taken from my wages before losing my job, I'm now a stay at home mum to a four month old and I take care of my partner. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, even if it isn't what I want to hear.

Thanks all!!!:)

The hardship has to be now- as in your situation. Write back to them quoting the hardship bit (as in the prelim letter) and keep at it until you get your money back.

I got mine back quoting hardship, from the NatWest this week.

PS How do I get my thread changed to a win?

• Haha 1

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Thames Credit -statute barred sent 13/11/08

BCW- prove debt letter- 14/08/08

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Littlewoods- no CCA letter 03/09/08- Lowells now

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Capital One/Debitas- now with Lowells

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

The hardship has to be now- as in your situation. Write back to them quoting the hardship bit (as in the prelim letter) and keep at it until you get your money back.

I got mine back quoting hardship, from the NatWest this week.

Thanks very much, Emma. I'll look over my stuff and send out the letter, thanks again for your help.

:D

Don't forget to start your own thread so we can keep up and help if needed.

Nationwide-A&L-Halifax 1-Student Loans Company-NatWest-Virgin Media-Link-Capital One ALL WON!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All information has been obtained from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Emma, on your own thread and your own posting, if you simply click the red triangle (complaints button) and say you want your thread title changed, it will receive immediate attention. Alternatively PM a suitable MOD regularly seen in your forum.

Well done Emma.

I'm spending the money on recorded deliveries and postal orders, claiming back as many charges on as many accounts, credit cards, catalogues and cable providers as I can before Christmas. Plus the CCAs on debts.

And some food!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

just a side note but relating from emma. Can u claim back charges from cable companys?

We are bing charged non direct debt fees even tho the money is on a continous standing order every 28 days they are saying that a standing order that goes dircet to there bank needs handling when the banks say as it is a BACs it does not.

OFT debt collection guidance

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

Godmother, I am mainly focusing on the late payment charges because I did some research into the non DD fees and found it complex and inconclusive. I also know of a case where someone very publicly lost over the non DD fees.

I try to stick to battles where I know I am in the right and I am confident of my position, if you know what I mean!

In a foot note, this win with Natwest over hardship has given me the confidence to have a crack at my Halifax2 claim which is on hold, but still at the Halifax.

Letter and I&E off to the Halifax today!

Apex- CCA 14/08/08

Redcats UK- SAR 14/04/09

Call Serve- CCA 14/08/08

Wescot- CCA 19/9/08

the only reason i asked was case they are charging under oft rules so when i asked the oft they said if i am not sending a cheque or p.o or paying over a banks counter or via a pay point scheme then i should not be charged.

Please remember the only stupid question is the one you dont ask so dont worry about asking the stupid questions.

Essex girl in pc world looking 4 curtains 4 her pc,the assistant says u dont need curtains 4 a computer!!Essex girl says,''HELLOOO!! i,ve got WINDOWS!!'.

I found this one on MSE and I hope you don't mind me tagging it on this thread.

It is a closed petition and response on this topic of bank charges and benefits

Number10.gov.uk » Sections187and45 - epetition response

• Haha 1

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Recently, Barclays charged me £ 22.00 Reverse Usage fee. I did not agree to this scheme neither did I receive their any offers regarding that scheme.

Twice I have requested the bank to refund the money but they refused on grounds that a letter was sent out to all customers. Can someone advise me on how to write a letter of complain to them.

Edited by Kabaaga
missing word

you could always ask them what the scheme is all about and how they can charge someone who new nothing about it.

Hi

I am in a somewhat similar situation. Last week I paid in a cheque that was returned, but in the period between me depositing it and it bouncing, the bank allowed me to draw on it. I am somewhat unfamiliar with the cheque clearing process (more so now!) and when I saw on OnLine banking that my available balance had increased, I assumed it had cleared.

So the bank debited my account by the amount I spent. I have no overdraft facility (NatWest Step Account).

The next day, my Incapacity Benefit and Income Support were paid in. Obviously the bank "ate" all of this, which had the effect of partially repaying the overdraft. They also apparently cancelled my debit card, and a cashpoint ate it when I tried to check my available balance (However online banking still works).

I was relying on this money to pay for essentials such as food, bills and essential medication for both myself and my also unwell father who lives with me.

I am going to the bank tomorrow to see the manager and will claim both hardship and the Social Security 1992 Act, I have written a legally worded letter and hope that he will allow me to withdraw my benefits immediately.

In terms of the bounced cheque, I am in contact with the person who gave it to me and hopefully he will soon make it good - but it might take a week or so(!!!)

I've read here that some people have had success this way, so I'm going to give it a go. I know the law is not necessarily on my side re: the 1992 Act.

If the bank won't budge, I will be going to the County Court to serve an N244 Application notice seeking that the bank refund the money they took and also seeking an injunction restraining them from doing it again. I imagine the DJ would just throw it out, but I have nothing to lose, perhaps the judge will be sympathetic even if s/he can't do anything, and the bank might not appreciate the adverse publicity.

I know it is somewhat my fault that I drew on the cheque before it cleared but Online banking showed that it apparently had, and being somewhat naeive to the clearing process I took it as gospel. Hopefully the guy who gave me the cheque will make good, but in the meantime I desperately need this money.

p :-)

Edited by peregrin

Hi peregrin

Welcome to CAG.

Unfortunately you are the latest in a long long line of people that have learned the hard way that what NatWest show that you have in your account in online banking isn't necessarily what you have in your account.

I hope the manager is sympathetic. Good luck.

oh maybe i can go and get my 40% out of lloydstsb.

• 3 weeks later...

Have just had £1750 paid into my LTSB Business Account. Rang to have a withdrawal of £500 authorised. Told NO your account is in recovery because you missed a loan payment 2 months ago. They have frozen everything. Can't pay any bills, buy any food or put petrol in car to go to work!!!

Business Manager has not replied to any of my calls. HELP! What can I do?

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

I know - that's the problem. Got a Business Relationship Manager who you can only contact by phone. He's off until next Wednesday! Can't get help from anyone else. Don't know whether local branch manager can help and anyway I haven't even got the petrol money.

broke dave v LTSB WON £3840 2 weeks before court.

Mrs broke dave v Barclays accepted offer £355.

broke dave v LTSB (Business) Prelim stage.

broke dave v LTSB (2nd Claim) LBA stage.

I wonder what would happen if you gave us the relevant number and we all bombarded them with calls on your behalf. ??? You phone: ask to speak with someone: get a call back number and extension: give it to us and we bombard.

I am not sure if this would be either legal or appropriate but I bet Martin could advise us properly.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

2nd November 2006: 1st letter, requesting back statements, hand delivered to lloyds TSB: got receipt.

I have received the information on my accounts going back 6 (six) years but not going back to the begining of my hsitory with the bank, as I requested.

Think I'd best send a letter suggesting they send the lot and informing them that I have already paid the £10 for such information.

Mairi's awaiting my details so that she can help me work out the interest due on the charges taken.

Personal: growing and changing while ever remaining the same. Get to know me and tell me what I'm like coz I can't figure me out.

Quote: If you can't beat them, confuse them.

Sorry. Just thoroughly sick to the back teeth of banks. Would love to jam their switchboards.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

2nd November 2006: 1st letter, requesting back statements, hand delivered to lloyds TSB: got receipt.

I have received the information on my accounts going back 6 (six) years but not going back to the begining of my hsitory with the bank, as I requested.

Think I'd best send a letter suggesting they send the lot and informing them that I have already paid the £10 for such information.

Mairi's awaiting my details so that she can help me work out the interest due on the charges taken.

Personal: growing and changing while ever remaining the same. Get to know me and tell me what I'm like coz I can't figure me out.

Quote: If you can't beat them, confuse them.