• Tweets

• Thanks very much Bank. I have topped and tailed my LOC and printed off a copy which I shall post tomorrow by First Class post at my local post office and also obtain a proof of postage. I'll also email them a copy. I've opened a MoneyClaim account, and shall now begin work on my draft Particulars of Claim which I shall post here for your thoughts. And I shan't be using the Moderation service.
    • Yes, it struck me this morning that I'd got it wrong    - no involvement of UKPPO in any previous Tesco thread    - there would have been an entrance sign to a Tesco car park    - CCTV isn't something associated with Tesco car parks. Presumably whoever runs the car park has put CCTV at the electric, and probably BB, areas, done absolutely nothing to stop abuse, and then rubs their hands in glee every time the CCTV catches a motorist out. You can pay £60 and this will go away. Or you can defy UKPPO and rely on their non-respect of POFA, consideration period, etc., should they be daft enough to do court later down the line.  We would support you all the way.
    • thats not the way to do it sorry. sorry so what is your problem? that vanquis paid the £560 or that they are now chasing it? how old is this debt? dx  
    • If you visited Qatar you could be detained at the border, if the debt has been notified.  If you are only in transit and do not seek to cross border into Qatar you might be ok, but you may want to seek formal advice about this.
    • Howdy, I had a short lived credit card with Vanquis that I did not need. I paid it off in full and called them and closed it with the person at the other end. 2 months later they started sending me messages about late payments, I called them and to find out that the card had not been closed in error and 6 weeks after it should have been closed they paid a google debit of £560. I hit the roof and made a formal complaint that took them well over a month to respond to. They agreed they were at fault, refunded all late payments fees and offered me £100 in compensation. However they said the debit amount stood as 'I had benefit from it' and I should get a refund from google. I hit the roof again but they have stuck to their guns. The debit from google is a genuine one but I wanted to dispute it with google so closed the card so they would have to engage with me. But surely that's neither here nor there surely? What is the next step? Ombudsman takes forever doesn't it?  thanks in advance
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Is the bank taking your Benefits ?

MARTIN3030
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4040 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Steven,

Do you suggest I send my letter to my branch or to Abbeys customer services dept?

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

Sure do:)

:DSUCCESSESS:D

NATWEST01&02 won over 4k

See how

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/natwest-successes/31683-muggins73-natwest.html

:)CURRENT CLAIMS:)

HALIFAX03

19-SEPT-07 APPLICATION TO HAVE STAY LIFTED

02-OCT-07 APPLICATION REFUSED

LLOYDS TSB04

10-MAY-07 LBA

ABBEY05

19-SEPT-07 LBA

The First Right of Appropriation bit I think needs to go toyour branch butthe some of the other stuff needs to go to customer services - I would send the letter to both.

Signed sealed and deliv ered. Thanks for getting this petition together, Steven.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

2nd November 2006: 1st letter, requesting back statements, hand delivered to lloyds TSB: got receipt.

I have received the information on my accounts going back 6 (six) years but not going back to the begining of my hsitory with the bank, as I requested.

Think I'd best send a letter suggesting they send the lot and informing them that I have already paid the £10 for such information.

Mairi's awaiting my details so that she can help me work out the interest due on the charges taken.

Personal: growing and changing while ever remaining the same. Get to know me and tell me what I'm like coz I can't figure me out.

Quote: If you can't beat them, confuse them.

Having contacted Nationwide Head Office regarding charges taken from benefits, using the letter template given earlier in this thread, and also written to branck with RoA letters, I've now been informed that SSAA does not apply...

In the members rules it states: "[5iii] The Society may withhold all or part of any share investment (ie any funds paid in) and use it to pay or reduce any debt owed to the Society which is due or overdue for payment."

Based on what I've read here, I'm not convinced at all.... anyone more knowledgeable care to advise further?

Is particularly frustrating that the current cycle of charges that I'm stuck in was started when a DD was called without notice, thus technically in breach of DD guarantee etc. Nationwide accepted this and agreed to refund the charges levied. Instead, one was applied still the following month causing another DD to bounce and attract a charge,..... you get the picture ;-)

Quoting SSAA and sending RoA letters has caused quite a stir, though, and they've been running about trying to find someone who understands it - just seems they still haven't!

Steve

puzz they are talking rubbish - as usual

Apart from their charges being unlawful they cannot negate your rights under statute just by claiming it's in their T&C's & to do so is an offence which should be reported to TS & the OFT

Write again telling them they are wrong & that unless they repay you + any interest they have added you will report them to the appropriate authorities forthwith

There have been several reported cases of Banks taking charges from accounts that have benefits paid into them by DWP and Social security.thus leaving them with little or no money.

Here is a template letter to take or send to the bank to address this.

It is important to let the bank have this BEFORE you expect to have funds paid in by DWP or the Inland revenue.

A new letter should be sent for each payment that you expect to be protected,customise as required by adding the benefit/type of payment.

RIGHT OF APPROPRIATION

Dear Sir/Madam,

ACCOUNT NUMBER: xxxxxxxxx

I am writing to inform you that I am due to have a Tax Credit payment of £xxx paid into my account on xx/xx/xx, and I wish to use my first right of appropriation for this money, for the following purposes;

Rent £xx

Utilities bills £xx

Housekeeping money £xx

I will withdraw the money on the day that it is deposited for the above use, and I would be grateful if you would ensure that any other payments out of my account do not interfere with this withdrawal.

Yours faithfully,

[signature]

[print name)

Additionally here is further info thanks to JonCris

You may also wish to insert the following in your letter to the bank.

Social Security Administration Act 1992

Miscellaneous

Certain benefit to be inalienable **

187- Subject to the provisions of this Act, every assignment of, or charge on-

(a)benefit as defined in section 122 of the Contributions and Benefits Act;

(b)any income-related benefit; or

©child benefit,

and every agreement to assign or charge such benefit shall be void; and, on the bancrupcy of the beneficiary, such benefit shall not pass to any trustee or other person acting on behalf of his creditors

Hi

I sent this letter to my bank, and they totally ignored my request???

Any suggestions?

I spoke with some girls and lads in a banking customer services departmnt. They are all unaware pf this law but do tell me that it's computers, for the most part, which manage our accounts and send out letters.

I'm told by these people that certain banks are threatening their staff with the sack if they try to reclaim charges: surely this is Blackmail: yet ANOTHER criminal offense with which they, the banks, are getting off Scot free.

I plan to try to enlist the help of Tommy Sheridan who, regardless of what some may think of him, has proven himself to be prepared, while more than able, to stand up and be counted in fighting for the rights of Society's less privileged.

Still scrubbing filthy greasy smoke off walls but might get chance to write to him tonight.

I'm sure he'll be bale to get "The Word" from the Govan Centre.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

2nd November 2006: 1st letter, requesting back statements, hand delivered to lloyds TSB: got receipt.

I have received the information on my accounts going back 6 (six) years but not going back to the begining of my hsitory with the bank, as I requested.

Think I'd best send a letter suggesting they send the lot and informing them that I have already paid the £10 for such information.

Mairi's awaiting my details so that she can help me work out the interest due on the charges taken.

Personal: growing and changing while ever remaining the same. Get to know me and tell me what I'm like coz I can't figure me out.

Now this is going to sound stupid but do student bursaries (SAAS awards) and student loans count in this?

Last year during term I had many bank charges for silly things but they were always taken out of my DLA/student loan/bursary account. It would be difficult to prove that the money came out of my DLA directly but I would like to see if this makes my case any easier as I'm starting action against the bank soon.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

This may be a stupid question but...has anyone ever taken the bank to court for damages as well as their bank charges?

I am soooooo mad at Yorkshire Bank for taking my unemployment benefit and leaving me with nothing!! Unable to pay the part payment of my rent which was the cause of me getting 2 mths notice to quit my home!!

I now have a p/t job so am no longer receiving benefits and am just at the stage where I am about to put in my claim form to the courts but I aim to go for damages too. I want to make sure that they can no longer take other peoples benefits with the excuse that they didn't know it was illegal etc because once they've been to court then they won't have that excuse anymore!!

I'm trying to find some sort of template because I'm not sure if it's the same process if you are going for damages too. Anyone here know?

Jenschnifer, I'd think you're as well throwing in everything you can.

If the total comes to more than £1,500 you'll n eed to get a solicitor to handle it as an Ordinary Case but the b anks, if found judged against, will have the costs to bear.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

Don't know for sure, ScorpioICE, but in every other case, "ignorance of the Law is considered to be no excuse".

Go for it but maybe seek legal advice first. I am sue that thre are still some solicitors who give 1 free advice apt.

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

ScorpioICE, did you actually lose your home through this or did you manage to save it in time?

Vital spark v Lloyds Tsb

thanks vital spark, the claim is for just over £250 which is a drop in the ocean compared to some claims on here but i'm a student and I need all the cash I can get hands on, one of the charges was when someone commited fraud on my account, they refunded the money taken but not their wopping big bank charge.

Any posts submitted here on the Consumer Action Group under the user name GlasweJen may not necessarily be the view of the poster, CAG or indeed any normal person.

I've become addicted to green blobs (I have 2 now) so feel free to tip my scales if I ever make sense.;-)

ScorpioICE, did you actually lose your home through this or did you manage to save it in time?

No I had to move out! I'd only moved in in January and I'd asked them if they were planning on long term rental because I didn't want to keep moving, said I wanted to rent for at least 3 yrs. They said that was ideal as they usually buy to do up and sell but now they planned to buy and rent their properties. I was given 2 mths notice in October, saying that they needed to sell it to use the equity in the house. I know I couldn't use this in court but I'm so angry because I know this was due to falling further and further behind with my rent due to the banks taking all my money, plus the fact that for months I had little or no gas and electric...food etc. It was a horrible time in my life where all control seemed to have been taken away from me. I'm not one for pushing things under the carpet when they get bad, I always sort things out but I swear I was going out of my mind at that time.

Reading all the postings on here makes me feel disgusted that I wasn't even a rare case...infact it seems to be the norm!!!!

I'm guessing that to sue them for damages is going to cost me more than just getting my charges back but I'm willing to take that chance as long as the initial cost isn't too much. I'm just trying to read up first to see what to do as I don't want to make a mistake!