Car insurers - MONEY STEALING BUSINESS

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4263 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'd appreciate any help in this matter.

5 months ago I had an accident on a mini roundabout, not my fault.

The lady coming from an opposite direction just decided not to give me way and drove straight into my car. I have a witness.

My car was written off, I got the money less my excess – which was explained will be refunded to me when the case is closed.

5 months down the line I'm due to renew my policy.

For my surprise I received the renewal note with no years no claim discount. I was told it's due to the accident I had. Even though it wasn't my fault! But apparently the other party hasn’t admitted so until they resolve the case they can't give me any discount.

And to add to that I was also told that it may take up to 3 year to resolve!!! 3 years!!

How long can it take to resolve a small accident claim??!!

Anyway – I can't use any discount to renew! So it didn't only cost me the excess, but also my premium went way up high.

They say they will refund the difference in premiums…. But for the next 3 year I need to simply start collecting my no claim discount from scratch.

But also – how I'm going to prove them how much the insurance would cost me with the discount???

Is there anything I can do to get my excess money back and also to get the discount back???

I must say – I'm furious! When you're due money to the insurance company – they want it immediately, but when you're owed anything – it takes them years….

Normally a bump only puts your NCB back by two years from what it was at the start of the policy. Sadly insurance companies tend to work that way, although you can have your NCB backdated and receive the overpayments back. However, this means its unlikely that you would have taken out the best policy for your circumstances, given the refund on your actual policy will work out paying more than the best policy at the time had you remained with your original NCB.

You could rush things by calling the woman, and telling her as she is holding things back, she needs to tell her insurance company as you will be otherwise taking her to court.

Normally a bump only puts your NCB back by two years from what it was at the start of the policy. Sadly insurance companies tend to work that way, although you can have your NCB backdated and receive the overpayments back. However, this means its unlikely that you would have taken out the best policy for your circumstances, given the refund on your actual policy will work out paying more than the best policy at the time had you remained with your original NCB.

You could rush things by calling the woman, and telling her as she is holding things back, she needs to tell her insurance company as you will be otherwise taking her to court.

Get a few quotes from other company's with what ncb you should have. Keep these and then when it is settled just produce them and tell them this is how much I could have got insurance for and I would like my money back please.

Get a few quotes from other company's with what ncb you should have. Keep these and then when it is settled just produce them and tell them this is how much I could have got insurance for and I would like my money back please.

Yes, will do that - thanks.

But I still don't understand how come I'm being penalised for something I haven't done.

I thought you are not not guilty until proved innocent!!

Where is the justice??!! I'm haven been proved anything.

Take her to court ( small claims through county court ) for your excess and your increased premium, that will make them sort it out as she will pass that on to her insurers.

Suggest you write to her first though and say that is what you are going to do unless she or her insurers pay up in 7 days. ( she should send that to her insurers too ).

If you have legal cover get your insurers to do it for you. ( ininsured loss )

Edited by raydetinu

Personally i've never heard of a claim lasting 3 years...

I have discussed claims with customers where it has taken almost a year to settle, because unfortunately even with claims that should be simple to settle your insurance company has to get the TP insurers to admit liability, and unfortunately it doesnt get resolved then, bcos even tho theyve admitted liability it can take them time to get there money back from the TP insurers... and this isnt taking into consideration getting police reports etc.

Personally my suggestion is to do quotes online based on 0 yrs ncd, and take out the cheapest. Theres no point going with the current insurer and then showing them the cheapest quotes u couldve got with x amount of ncd if the claim is settled as a nf claim, bcos they may say "well u were under no obligation to accept our renewal quote"

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I understand it may take some time to resolve, but 5 months it's a bit long.

I'll be definitely calling our insurer (which is Direct Line BTW) to resolve it ASAP.

If they won't be helpful - then yes, I think I'll be taking it to court. It has already cost me over £500!!

Where do I get eh other lady address from? Is the insurer obliged to give it to me on me request?