TELEVISION LICENCING OFFICER VISITED - worried about court summons - what next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4214 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

for some reason the op has removed a post were he did admit to the officer he had a freeview box. saying the Do you have either satellite, cable or digital (Freeview)? - NO. meant tv did not have built in freeview but had a separate freeview box

the mags see this all the time were the defendant later changes his story for what he signed for

point 1 When did you last use the set for watching TV programmes here? - SOME POINT TODAY. dunno what you gonna say that.

point 2 Colour, digital box, power plugged in, aerial plugged in TV Make: TOSHIBA clearly says digital box the post removed explains this

as i said op is guilty of using the set without a licence. its up to him he wants to plead not guilty and try to twist the facts, bit TV licencing have more experience of twisting the facts.

remember this is mags it should be guilty beyond doubt. in reality its who they believe

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

I did remove the post because from everything I've read, all that matters is what's on the interview form (which is in the first post), and what they eventually accuse you of in the summons.

I've been getting conflicting info on whether they will or won't prosecute.

Some say if you have a license and have had one since day of visit and it's up to date for 6 months from date of visit, it's unlikely you'll get prosecuted. Others says you will definitely get prosecuted, you have to plead guilty.

Edited by needhelp001

everyone would escape prosecution if all you had to was pop out and buy one on the day of the visit. hold fire and wait to see if you do get a summons. if you do come back.

you have got some strong points you could use, but to go in and arque just about a freeview box is fruitless. the licencing officers are good at twisting facts and are normally prepared for people to come to court and plead not guilty

you have to think once step ahead and hit them with something they wasn't expecting

private message me for what i would do

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

everyone would escape prosecution if all you had to was pop out and buy one on the day of the visit. hold fire and wait to see if you do get a summons. if you do come back.

Is there a way to find out from the courts if you've been issued a summons - my mail often goes astray.

• 1 month later...

Got a visit follow-up letter from TV Licensing today:

An Enforcement Officer recently found evidence that TV receiving equipment was being used without a valid licence at this address.

On this occasion, because you have now bought a licence,
you will not be prosecuted

What could have happened.

You should be aware that, by law, you could have been taken to court where you could have been fined up to £1,000. You may also have had to pay legal costs.

We would rather this did not happen. However, if we find any more evidence that you are watching or recording television programmes illegally - on any device - it is likely you will be prosecuted. Please avoid this by renewing your licence before it expires.

My prayers have been answered.

I hope this is the end of it now, because I have read of ppl still getting summons after getting similar letters, but they have managed to get the summons withdrawn because of it. At least I have some ammunition now.

I would advise anyone who signs the visit form (record of interview) to buy a backdated TV licence in full to cover any unlicensed periods.