• Tweets

• This is the other sign  parking sign 1a.pdf
    • 4 means that they need to name and then tell the people who will be affected that there has been an application made, what the application relates to (specificially "whether it relates to the exercise of the court’s jurisdiction in relation to P’s property and affairs, or P’s personal welfare, or to both) and what this application contains (i.e what order they want made as a result of it) 5 just means that teh court think it is important that the relevant people are notified 7 means that the court need more information to make the application, hence they have then made the order of paragraph 1 which requires the applicant to do more - this means the court can't make a decision with the current information, and need more, hence paragraph one of the order is for the applicant to do more. paragraph 3 of the order gives you the ability to have it set aside, although if it was made in january you are very late. Were you notiifed of the application or not?    
    • These are the photos of the signs. At the entrance there is a 7h free sign. On some bays there is a permit sign.  Also their official website is misleading as it implies all parking is free.  I can't be certain of the exact parking bay I was in that day, and there was no PCN ticket on my car and no other evidence was provided.  parking sign 2.pdf
    • Hi, In my last post I mentioned I had received an email from SS who were asking me to hand over the keys to my mother’s flat so they could pass them to the Law firm who have been appointed court of protection to access, secure and insure my mother’s property.  Feeling this, all quickly getting out of my hands I emailed ss requesting proof of this. I HAVEN’T HEARD BACK FROM SS.  Yesterday, I received an email (with attached court of protection order) from the Law Firm confirming this was correct (please see below a copy of this).  After reading the court of protection order I do have some concerns about it:   (a)   I only found out yesterday, the Law firm had been appointed by the court back in January.  Up until now, I have not received any notification regarding this.  (b)   Section 2   - States I am estranged from my mother.  This is NOT CORRECT    The only reason I stepped back from my mother was to protect myself from the guy (groomer) who had befriended her & was very aggressive towards me & because of my mother’s dementia she had become aggressive also.  I constantly tried to warned SS about this guy's manipulative behaviour towards my mother and his increasing aggressiveness towards me (as mentioned in previous posts).  Each time I was ignored.  Instead, SS encouraged his involvement with my mother – including him in her care plans and mental health assessments.   I was literally pushed out because I feared him and my mother’s increasing aggression towards me. Up until I stepped back, I had always looked after my mother and since her admission to the care home, I visit regularly.   .(c)    Sections -  4, 5 and 7  I am struggling to understand these as I don’t have a legal background.  I was wondering if there is anyone who might be able to explain what they mean.  It’s been a horrendous situation where I had to walk away from my mother at her most vulnerable because of; ss (not helping), scammer and groomer. I have no legal background, nor experience in highly manipulative people or an understanding of how the SS system operates, finding myself isolated, scared and powerless to the point I haven’t collected my personal belongings and items for my mother’s room in the care home.  Sadly, the court has only had heard one version of this story SS’s, and based their decision on that. My mother’s situation and the experience I have gone through could happen to anyone who has a vulnerable parent.    If anyone any thoughts on this much appreciated.  Thank you. ______________________________________________________  (Below is the Court of Protection Order)  COURT OF PROTECTION                                                                                                                                                                                   No xxx  MENTAL CAPACITY ACT 2005 In the matter of Name xxx ORDER Made by  Depty District Judge At xxx Made on xxx Issued on 18 January 2024  WHEREAS  1.     xxx Solicitors, Address xxx  ("Applicant”) has applied for an order under the Mental Capacity Act 2005.  2.     The Court notes (my mother) is said to be estranged from all her three children and only one, (me) has been notified.  3.     (Me) was previously appointed as Atorney for Property and Affairs for (my mother).  The Exhibity NAJ at (date) refers to (me) and all replacement Attorneys are now officially standing down.  4.     Pursuant to Rule 9.10 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 and Practice Direction 9B the Applicant 2must seek to identify at least three persons who are likely to have an interest in being notified that an application has been issues.”  The children of (my mother), and any other appointed attorneys are likely to have an interest in the application, because of the nature of relationship to (my mother).  5.     The Court considers that the notification requirements are an important safeguard for the person in respect of whom an order is sought.  6.     The Court notes that it is said that the local authority no longer has access to (my mother’s) Property.  7.     Further information is required for the Court to determine the application.  IT IS ORDERED THAT  Within 28 days of the issue date this order, the Applicant shall file a form COP24 witness statement confirming that the other children of (my mother) and any replacement attorneys have been notified of the application and shall confirm their name, address, and date upon which those persons were notified.  If the Applicant wishes the Court to dispense with any further notification, they should file a COP9 and COP24 explaining, what steps (if any) have been taken to attempt notification and why notification should be dispensed with.   Pending the determination of the application to appoint a deputy for (my mother), the Applicant is authorised to take such steps as are proportionate and necessary to access, secure and insure the house and property of (my mother).   This order was made without a hearing and without notice.  Any person affected by this order may apply within 21 days of the date on which the order was served to have the order set aside or varied pursuant to Rule 13.4 of the Court of Protection Rules 2017 (“the Rules”).  Such application must be made on Form COP9 and in accordance with Part 10 Rules.              
    • Unless I've got an incorrect copy of the relevant regulation: The PCN is only deemed to have arrived two days after dispatch "unless the contrary is proved" in which case date of delivery does matter (not just date of posting) and I would like clarification of the required standard of proof. It seems perhaps this hasn't been tested. Since post is now barcoded for the Post Office's own tracking purposes perhaps there is some way I can get that evidence from the Post Office...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

TELEVISION LICENCING OFFICER VISITED - worried about court summons - what next?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4209 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I need some advice.

Had a visit from a TV Licensing Officer last night - I signed the form (I know, I know :sad: ). I haven't had a summons yet.

Needless to say, I have spent the last 12 hours reading thread after thread on this subject, and it doesn't seem to matter what I DID say to him (he lied, there are omissions, and he summarised), it only matters what is recorded on the form. So, so here is the information that appears on the visit form I signed.

I should note, he DID gave me a copy of the form.

+

TV LICENCE

Do you have a television here? - YES

Do you have a TV Licence? - NO

TV SET SEEN

May I come in and inspect the set? - NO

The bits about Programmes seen/heard, Channels tested, Other? - BLANK (nothing filled in)

ADMISSIONS

Colour, digital box, power plugged in, aerial plugged in

TV Make: TOSHIBA

When was the set installed / Obtained? - JAN/FEB 2012

When did you first use the set at this address without an appropriate licence? - I DON'T KNOW. I WAS LIVING WITH MY MUM.

When did you last use the set for watching TV programmes here? - SOME POINT TODAY

Is the set owned, borrowed, rented? - IT'S MY MOM'S

Do you have either satellite, cable or digital (Freeview)? - NO

Contact details - phone number given

How long have you lived here? - JAN/FEB 2012

Date of birth? - given

Occupation? - DON'T WORK

National Insurance Number - I DON'T KNOW IT

I have to tell you that you may be

prosecuted for an offence under

The Communications Act 2003.

Is there anything else you want to say? - NO

Signed and dated (yesterday)

+

Needless to say, I purchased a TV Licence over the phone and had it backdated to Jan 1, 2012 (to Dec 31, 2012), as I don't know when I moved in and want to be covered, but I am now doubting whether I actually needed it.

My questions are these:

- All the people who have reported receiving court summons seem to be people whose set was inspected and channels tested, or people who didn't get a copy of the form and the Officer lied about seeing/testing the set. Does this seem to be the trend? Mine was NOT inspected or tested and I have a copy of the form showing that. I have read that not everyone receives a summons ... are there any examples of the reasons this doesn't not happen?

- Everyone seems to say that you should plead guilty, but I do not believe that any witness statement he could conjure up would hold up, as he would have to lie and say he inspected/tested the set, which would not match the interview record (he he gave me a copy).

- what the TV Licensing website says you need and what the Communications Act 2003 says seem to be 2 different things. can this not be argued?

Thanks for any advice.

You say you're doubting whether you actually needed the TV license, yet say you also have and use a TV to watch live broadcasts. Therefore, you do need a TV License. (Most certainly morally if not legally)

Nowhere in the record of interview does it say I watched a live broadcast.

I've read so many threads that it seems to be modus operandi for these officers to lie (eg. he said they don't prosecute), and it's his word against mine, so I'm trying to stick to what's on the form.

Also wanted to ask:

- Are court summons always sent by registered post? I've read that some people don't always receive them and they're for courts that are hundreds of miles away. Is there any way to check if you've received a summons by any court.

Also wanted to ask:

- Are court summons always sent by registered post? I've read that some people don't always receive them and they're for courts that are hundreds of miles away. Is there any way to check if you've received a summons by any court.

The Courts never use recorded/special delivery.

Well I'm not gonna sugar coat it. You should expect to get a fine. As for the amount I don't know but it is probable they will fine you upto £1000 although I've never known anyone to get a £1000 fine and I know a few people who have been fined. Normally between £200-400.

If you have got away with no tv license for 5 years (for example) and you get a £200 fine then consider it a result as you just saved yourself a few hundred pounds.

Just so you know, this is not like a court drama you see on TV. It's more like a cattle market. A que of people, your called, OK, no tv license how do you plead. Guilty. Ok fine £250 (or whatever they decide), rubber stamp your paperwork, goodbye, next case.

I'm pretty sure you can even plead guilty by post so you don't have to attend.

And sadly just because you rushed out and brought a license won't mean jack. On the day you were caught you didnt have one and thats that.

But honestly, don't fret over it... It will justbe a fine, nothing more. No jail cells, no bail, nothing like the tv.... In one door, say i'm guilty and out the other door, the end. (or do it by post)

The trust Royal Mail. Once the letter has been posted it is deemed served 2 days later regardless of whether it actually arrives or not...

Is there a way to check with the courts to see if I have been issued a summons?

What area of the country are you in?

Because if your posted what your form states correctly, then you put NO to Cable/Sky/Freeview.

If your region has had Analogue television transmissions turned off, then your TV cannot be picking up live television at the moment.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nearest magistrates court would be Birmingham.

Well, from what I can see, all the West Midlands Transmitters have been switched over to Digital Freeview....

So I assume then, that if you plugged a normal aerial into your television set, all you get is static?

In which case, you cannot pick up live television and thus do not and did not need a Licence.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

You need a licence if you are watching a programme as its transmitted, or rather its being received by your equipment as its transmitted, so includes DVD recorders, videos, etc too.

If you were watching a DVD, other recording, using it as a monitor for a computer/security purposes, then it does not require to be licensed.

So do you need one or not?

Its worth remembering the guy at the door works on commission, so little things like the truth are easily forgotten or distorted so they get their money. Often anything they say will be to make you do/say/write something rather than having anything to do with the law/honesty/helpfulness.

What area of the country are you in?

Because if your posted what your form states correctly, then you put NO to Cable/Sky/Freeview.

If your region has had Analogue television transmissions turned off, then your TV cannot be picking up live television at the moment.

On the Admissions section, he circled:

- Colour,

- digital box,

- power plugged in,

- aerial plugged in

He did not enter or inspect/test the set, and I have the form.

Has anyone been able to successfully get them to drop the case without responding to the summons.

Everyone seems to recommend not contacting them once you receive a summons, but surely if you have a license, and you argue your corner (as some people have), there must be a chance.

I seem to be one of the few people that:

- was actually given a copy of my visit interview, so he can't add any lies to it.

- didn't have my set inspected or tested.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws (cue, the "it's your fault", "you signed it" posts), but I cannot believe it's best not to contact them and indicate you will challenge the process.

Everyone seems to indicate you should give in to pay less, but if there's a chance to get it dropped, isn't it worth challenging?

Hi Needhelp001

The main problem you face is that you signed the for which they have a copy of.

If you had not signed it then you could dispute what was written down

My wife is a foreign national and has little understanding of written English

Helpful inspector got my wife so sign

when I returned home I asked the same questions on the sheet ,

90% of what was put on the sheet was incorrect.

I did not recieve a summons in the end because I paid up straight away.

I also let rip at them because of what was put on the form

The inspector had made a fraudulent statement which my wife could not read.

So you may be lucky as you paid straight away.

Leakie

Everyone has talked about pleading guilty, smaller fine, etc, but I have not read much on the implication of having a criminal record.

I've read it's "not a recordable offence", but it does show up on CRB checks (which might be important for jobs, etc), and that you won't be eligible for the US visa waiver scheme, and will have to check the visa requirements for other countries, etc.

Does it affect applying for a passport?

Here is a little known example I am aware of (or maybe you already know it):

- HOUSEHOLD INSURANCE - if I get a criminal record, the household insurance becomes invalid, even though the insurance is not in my name. You have to inform the insurance company immediately, who will then decide if they wish to continue insuring the household - most do not. If the household is already with a specialist insurer for judgements, etc, then they will most likely request an additional premium to continue the insurance.

Are there any other situations where having a criminal record will affect you?

On the Admissions section, he circled:

- Colour,

- digital box,

- power plugged in,

- aerial plugged in

He did not enter or inspect/test the set, and I have the form.

Has anyone been able to successfully get them to drop the case without responding to the summons.

Everyone seems to recommend not contacting them once you receive a summons, but surely if you have a license, and you argue your corner (as some people have), there must be a chance.

I seem to be one of the few people that:

- was actually given a copy of my visit interview, so he can't add any lies to it.

- didn't have my set inspected or tested.

Maybe I'm grasping at straws (cue, the "it's your fault", "you signed it" posts), but I cannot believe it's best not to contact them and indicate you will challenge the process.

Everyone seems to indicate you should give in to pay less, but if there's a chance to get it dropped, isn't it worth challenging?

On the form he indicates he did not enter the property thus how does he know Colour, aerial plugged in etc. He then contradicts himself as he has circled NO on freeview box. So he is claiming something is attached, when his own form states he did not entry, he then claims the thing attached is not attached.

I should think this would be defendable in court if it went that far.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i think you have the grounds to plead not guilty but it needs to go into deeper

these officers are well known to twist the facts.

it all depends what was said and the impression you gave to the officer

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

i think you have the grounds to plead not guilty but it needs to go into deeper

these officers are well known to twist the facts.

it all depends what was said and the impression you gave to the officer

The reason I only posted what was on the form is that everyone seems to indicate that it's all that matters :|.

I want to hope that I won't get a summons, but everyone seems to think it futile.

Edited by needhelp001

you are guilty of the offence and everything he wrote could lead to prosecution. my guess it will. he most like wrote it had the aerial and was plugged in because you said you watched it earlier. you could plead not guilty and act dumb saying you you misunderstand the questions because the way they were worded. but you have told him a lot. and its a lot to contradict. and you signed it

i think if you get the summons a guilty plea is best. it will be like a cattle market and every in your court will be the same offence

:???: what me. never heard of you never had a debt with you.

you are guilty of the offence

How so?

The OP says he does not have any sort of digital box, indeed in that section of the form the TVL man ticked NO, contradicting himself. The op lives in the West Midlands, the West Midlands Analogue TV Transmitters have been turned off. Thus, a TV without freeview, sky or virgin is unable to pick up live television.

So erm, how is that guilty?

It doesn't even require a solicitor, anyone with half a brain could defend this idiot of an "inspectors" contradictory claims.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]