BankFodder BankFodder

Charlie996

Worried about ESA..

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2783 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

I should give a brief explanation of the history behind this one..

In 2007 I was working as a self employed Roof Tiler and had a fall due to a hypo attack whilst working at height . ( I am a type 1 Diabetic)

This resulted in injuries including some to My back which meant I was unable to work..

I went through to early 2009 not working or claiming Any benefits at all..

After X rays ect it was decided I would not be able to continue in the job I had done since leaving school 37 years earlier..

So I started to claim ESA which lasted for about six months and I was then booted off the benefits as they said I was no longer allowed..

So late 2010 I went back to work in Roofing...

I lasted 3 days and had a breakdown due to the fact I could not go up at heights again...

So once again I went reluctantly to the Doctor who started treating Me for depression. And once again I am on ESA.

I have been diagnosed as having clinical depression and am having treatment for it.

Yesterday I had to go to ATOS for a medical and during the questions the Doctor conducting asked if the Fall and events of 2077 were connected to the depression I am being treated for at this time ??

I said possibly ?

So now my worry is if the two things are connected which in all honesty they likely are will I be kicked off again as the whole episode will be classed as one ?

IMHO they are connected but are totally separate entity's connected by consequence ??

Is it the job of the medical examiner to try and link things like this together ??

I apologise if this sounds like I am simply after money but prior to these incidents I worked full time and hard for 37/38 years !!

I am trying hard to get past this episode and really want to return to work but its taking a little time..

Thanks .

i dont know whether they link anything to be honest....most posters on here find the so called medical an absolute joke..and atos themselves say if you can press a button you can work.....expect the worst. however, all is not lost if you do not have enough points then appeal....you should have appealed last time when you 'failed'...a lot of us on here have been victims of this sham...let us know when you have the letter telling you results and people will advise...try not too worry and good luck

It is irrelevant (except possibly in ATOS' view) whether different conditions are linked. You are entitled to ESA if you score 15 or more points on the descriptors contained within the legislation.

All you can do now is wait for the results of your assessment, then come back and ask for more help if you score less than 15.

If you want to do some reading in the meantime (don't if it's likely to make you worry more) then there are a couple of stickies about ESA and appeals, and the descriptors can be found in schedules 1 and 2 here:- http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2011/228/contents/made

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Many thanks for the replies.. There was a period of about four or five months between when I claimed ESA for the back injuries issue as I paid for myself to take a training course so as to move into another line of work. Sadly due to the economic climate this did not materialise into any employment so that is why I tried to return to My trade. The Doctors said no way was I to go back into roofing as the risk was just to great as having had Diabetes for 35 years and hypos were becoming more frequent....

But I had no choice.. It was that or not pay the bills so I tried but feel ashamed that I failed.

dont feel ashamed for being ill...that is the govt's job!!! you are unwell and that is that....you have paid in for a considerable amount of your working life, and you should be entitled to what you are allowed to claim....you shouldnt have to make excuses for not being able to work...good luck and keep your chin up

dont feel ashamed for being ill...that is the govt's job!!! you are unwell and that is that....you have paid in for a considerable amount of your working life, and you should be entitled to what you are allowed to claim....you shouldnt have to make excuses for not being able to work...good luck and keep your chin up

Hear hear!

And do come back if you need help with anything else, or even just to have a moan. There's loads of lovely people on this forum who will do their best to help you.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Thank You al very much !!

It has really helped having someone to share this with ! I had a letter with Me that the Consultant Psychiatrist gave me to take along.. A letter of support You might say. Without that letter which told the ATOS and DWP where I am at this time I feel I might have not had the courage to attend.......

I left school at 15 years of age and went straight into the Roofing trade.. I have never until this time claimed a single penny coin and always paid all the taxes and National insurance on time and thinking that if ever I hit the skids someone would be there for Me...

How wrong could I be...

I am awaiting a course of therapy that with luck will put me on the road to recovery. But the waiting list is currently 10 to 11 months so I will just have to get along as best I can..

The Medical professionals have been fantastic though.