• Tweets

• I'm not sure we were on standard tariffs - I've uploaded as many proofs as I can for the ombudsman - ovo called last night uping the compensation to 100 from 50 pounds for the slip in customer service however they won't acknowledge the the problem them not acknowledging a fault has caused nor are they willing to remedy anything as they won't accept the meter or formula was wrong.   I'd appreciate more details on the economy 7 approach and I'll update the ombudsman with any information you can share. 
    • To re-iterate and highlight my urgent question on this one: The N24 from the court did not include any instructions to submit paperwork 28 days before the date, unlike the N157 received for other smaller claims. Do I have to submit a WS for this court date? Link has!...
    • No, reading the guidance online it says to wait for a letter from the court. Should I wait or submit the directions? BTW, I assume that the directions are a longer version of the particular of claim accompanied by evidence, correct?
    • Thanks for opening, it's been another rough year for my family and I've procastinated a little.. Due to the age of my defaults on this and other accounts (circa 2021), I really need to avoid a CCJ as that will be another 6 years of credit issues. Mediation failed as I played the 'not enough info to make a decision' however during the call for some reason they did offer settlement at 80%, I refused. this has been allocated to small claims track, court date is June 3 and I've received their WS. I'm starting on my WS. They do appear to have provided everything required of them (even if docs could be reconstructions). Not really sure what my argument is anymore but I do want to attend court and see this through. Should a judgement be made against me then I will clear the balance within 30 days and have the CCJ removed - this is still possible isn't it? I'm going to be reading up today and tomorrow and hope you can provide me some guidance in the meantime. Wonder what your advice would be given the documents they have provided? I am now in a position to clear the debt either by lump sum or a few large installments - Is this something i should look into at this late stage? Thanks as always in advance
    • I have now received my SAR. It includes a great deal of information! Is there a time limit on how long account information is kept and/or can be provided to debtors? I have received many account statements which were not previously sent to me. I remember that the creditor should provide explanations of any acronyms and abbreviations that maybe used in the documents. Is this still the case? Also what, if any, are the regulations in regard to adding fees to a debt? Can fees be added to a debt after the court has approved a charge on a property. Perhaps due to the numerous owners of the debt, many payments I made were not properly recorded on the account, some were entered over a year after the payment was made! Following the Legal Charge, I paid every month until my payments were refused. I am trying to compute the over payments, but the addition of fees etc. is confusing me. Any comments and/or help would be appreciated.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Metropolitan / HSBC Debt - Full & Final settlement offered, they've asked for increased offer

tee_jay
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4180 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello again - this is a similar situation to my previous post...I have made a full & final offer to repay approx £1600 to Metropolitan for a default HSBC card debt. The default will 'fall-off' early next year. I have been paying £55 per month. My circumstances have changed and I can no longer afford this so I have offered a reduced payment of £5 per month - or £600 as a Full and final settlement. I used the templates from CAG and advised this will only be paid if my file is marked as settled etc... ...this is their reply... can you guide me on what to do next? I am getting help from family and they may give me a little bit more but not a lot. Should I increase or stick to my guns?LetterfromMCSaskingforincreasedsettlementoffer.jpg

tell us about the debt

dx

• Confused 1

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi perhaps a rephrased offer along the lines of ''if this offer is unacceptable monthly payments will be drastically reduced or completely stopped.''

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

Please Consider making a donation to keep this site running!

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit: Animo et Fide:

The debt is a credit card default from a few years ago after I was made redundant. The default is from December 2006 and so will drop off my record this December. The original debt was almost £5000 but I have reclaimed unfair charges (not PPI as I didn't have it on this account). I have since paid £55 per month and the debt is now approx. £1600.I'm happy to repay my debts and recognise my responsibilities - the help and support I have had from this site (and others) has been a genuine source of inspiration.

IMHO, you should simply respond by advising that the original offer is not negotiable. Your offer was the maximum you can afford.

They either accept the £600.00 full and final and confirm that they wont pass on any balance or attempt to collect further themselves or they accept the £5.00 per month

Perhaps point out that the offer is open for say 14 days, when it will be offered to the next in line on your creditor list.

• Confused 2

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again - so I wrote and offered them a slightly higher (£650) settlement stating this was the maximum I can raise. Now they have replied with this asking for a full income and expenditure breakdown etc.I just want to pay them the settlement OR set up a reduced monthly payment... can you help & advise?many thanksTJLetter%20from%20MCS%20060912_zps240f7832.jpg

They have no right to demand this information. However, I imagine they are unlikely to accept an offer without it.

IMHO, they are looking to see if you have paid off other creditors and how much they would be able to deprive you of by way of Instalments if they were not to accept the F&F.

Have you made offers to other creditors and have they accepted.

If you were to contact them with an I&E, you should not under any circumstances name your other creditors - simply put something like.. Creditor 1 - credit card, Creditor 2, unsecured loan, creditor 3 catalogue, etc.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I would simply write back and state the last offer was my final offer, if this is unacceptable then I now propose to pay you £1 a month due to my circumstances being such that the original payment of £55 a month is unsustainable

Take it or leave it

Regards

xxxxx

At the end of the day these parasites are only employees of the orignal creditor and have no real power over you

what about sending a CCA to these jokers?

if they cant provide one, all you've got to do is wait for it to drop off

and you've saved £1600!

time to attack me thinks.

i'd pers never pay an F&F first without checking they are LEGALLY entitlted to the money.

dx

and they

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

The debt is a credit card default from a few years ago after I was made redundant. The default is from December 2006 and so will drop off my record this December. The original debt was almost £5000 but I have reclaimed unfair charges (not PPI as I didn't have it on this account). I have since paid £55 per month and the debt is now approx. £1600.I'm happy to repay my debts and recognise my responsibilities - the help and support I have had from this site (and others) has been a genuine source of inspiration.

Have you still got the original Default Notice issued by HSBC?

I had an HSBC credit card upon which they issued a DN to me on 19th Dec 2006 but which was defective due to not allowing the requisite 14 clear days (AFAIR that was the very day that the change from 7 days to 14 days became effective), thereby shooting themselves in the foot.

I wouldn't mind betting yours was also defective, which if it was, and you didn't remedy the default situation at the time, would preclude HSBC from successful court action. This could give you some extra leverage :wink:

Rob

Thanks for your replies - I did an SAR some time ago and had a load of stuff sent through so I'll dig that out and take a look. In the meantime I've written back saying my offer is final and time limited. Hopefully they will take it or I pay a reduced monthly amount. the default will fall off my credit file in December anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all - further to the above string, I have recently been getting numerous calls from DG Solicitors but tell them every timeI will only communicate in writing. The finally caved in and sent this...FromDG021012.jpg...I am about to write back to advise I am not obliged to provide an income/expediture breakdown. As they have not provided an answer to my offer of settlement yet I will provide them a further two weeks to respond. Failure to respond will result in me setting up a standing order for £5 per month.Is this the correct approach?

Usual HSBC trash, look their Default notices are faulty on most occassions from years ago, you must send CCA request to HSBC via Metro, they move to the next desk to the so Called D,G, non solicitors at the 1st sign of problems like yours for Northampton trail as they do not have to submit a CCA for that route, without haste,. send CCA request immediatly marking on the back of a Postal Order to CCA use only, play around with them at your own peril, so be warned!!

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

I have the CCA

- I requested this a long time ago and am satisfied the debt is payable.

I have no intention on swerving it.

My issue now is that I offered a full and final settlement of £600 against a balance of £1600

or I would reduce my monthly payments from £55 to £5 per month due to a change of circumstances.

They replied declining the offer and asking for an increased settlement offer.

I increased this to £650 and now they are playing letter tennis with me asking for an income/expenditure breakdown before they will accept the reduced payment.

They have not yet given me a response to my increased settlement offer.

I've now written again giving them 14 days to respond either accepting the full & final offer or giving me account details to set up a S/O for a fiver a month.

It falls off my record in February anyway..

. you would think they would take the hint!

Write statingb the following to their Compliance Manager.

Ref:xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Sir or Madam,

Further to my most generous off of £xxx in Full & Final Settlement of this matter, your demand for an income and ependiture report is denied.

The Offer made is one I have seriously considered and believe reasonable, I am generously allowing you a further 7 days to consider my offer after which should you reject this offer I will revert to a payment of £5.00 per calendar month.

This Offer is dependant on the following conditions:

1. All adverse data is to be removed from all credit reference files.

2.The remaining balance must not be sold or assigned to any 3rd. party at any time in the future.

3. Your unequivical acceptance of this offer must be received by me within 7 days of the date of this letter and must be in writting.

This letter is sent by Royal Mail Recorded Delivery and receipt will be checked, I would suggest your response should be made in the same manner.

Any Letters I Draft are N0T approved by CAG and no personal liability is accepted.

• 1 month later...

reduced balance - ignore them

its either all penalty charges

or

ppi

or there is no enforceable paperwork

end of debt

dx

and they

Surely they are not permitted to encourage to raise funds from "other sources" ?

BCOBS

Surely they are not permitted to encourage to raise funds from "other sources" ?

No OFT guidance section 3.7(b) pressuring debtors to raise funds by selling property of taking in further borrowing ( including extending existing borrowing)

Psychological or physical harassment.