Redundancy Alternative Job

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4262 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, been told my middle manager role is to be made redundant, told as a part of the re-org there is a new role being created not a manager but as a co-ordinator suspect this role will encompass most of my duties plus others), had initial consultation and agreed I would consider voluntary redundancy (I am 56) and am awaiting figures to be given to me also told them I would be interested in the new role so as not to burn my bridges but in truth do not fancy the role feel it is time to let them get on with it without my efforts. My thoughts here are that I am a middle manager but the company have another job I am aware on a decent salary but still a good drop of approx £10,000 for me I.e. HGV drivers, I do not have an HGV licence but I quite fancy this complete change for my remaining years to retirement and after 13 years with this company I would prefer not to break my service for pension and shares and I am contemplating making a request for re-training to HGV driver? I would like to hear comments what is likely the companies reaction to this and what/would they likely compensate me for the drop in salary? If I take redundancy and pay myself to retrain as HGV driver I will be in the trap of have licence but not at least 2 years experience so will not be able to get work not even through an agency my best bet of work is to retrain through the company and stay working with them. Anyone else done a similar thing? Just want to do best thing for me now redundancy money would be nice but in 12 months and still no job I feel best to stay with the company but in a completely different role away from the budgets and politics. Any advice or other peoples experience of doing similar thing would be interested to read and learn from, what to keep things simple and at the end of the day I will have a job. Thanks for reading and any comments advice.

Have you spoken to HGV drivers?

- shift work, often nights

- overnight stays

- tescos expect you to make drops in a 10 minute window so stress in traffic jams

- some places expect you to load/ unload as well as drive

- multidrop is a PITA

Have a good old think, it is very physically tough and can put a strain on family life.

Are they offering "buy down" ie compensation for taking the lower paid role, or are they protecting salary at all?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi, present role is involved supporting transport arm of business so have a good understanding of driver role just have never been an HGV driver but know legislation etc they are the most protected of trades! Our drivers do have delivery window and are multidrop, unload and linked to bonus but allowance made for traffic jams etc! Not so physical as average age is well over 50 large majority all eaten too many yorkie bars! Due to delivery windows end up working less hours then we do, have 45 minute break every 4 hours (we only get 1/2 hour) they get £2 lunch money everyday, sick pay, drop & knock.

Just my thoughts at mo so have not spoken re retraining and did not know what if anything would be offered compensation never heard of buy down, mark time would be nice but I don't have that luck?

Edited by howierips

Have you spoken to HGV drivers?

- shift work, often nights

- overnight stays

- tescos expect you to make drops in a 10 minute window so stress in traffic jams

- some places expect you to load/ unload as well as drive

- multidrop is a PITA

Have a good old think, it is very physically tough and can put a strain on family life.

Are they offering "buy down" ie compensation for taking the lower paid role, or are they protecting salary at all?

Feeling a little more positive since I found out about the 'buy down' and have put this to HR and awaiting reply, thanks Emmizzi.

buy down is not a right, but it is very common practice

Obviously HR were never going to tell me about it but when I mentioned it they did acknowledge that it was something that could be considered if I were to take a step back into a lower job, knowing about it has given me more confidence to look for another job within the company another job means I keep my length of service, pension, bonus, shares. thanks Emmzzi.