Arrow Global/Brian Carter court proceedings - need help!***Discontinued***

DCAtarget
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4086 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In addition to my last post would it also be a good idea in your opinion to chase BC now (in writing) for documents in light of submitting defence?

Many thanks.

You don't chase CPR requests you let them slip into none compliance which adds leverage to the proceedings as they progress.

Try this defence but edit to suit.

DEFENCE

1. Paragraph 1 is nether admitted or denied with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') the Claimant has yet to disclose any Agreement. Furthermore any claim for partial monies is averred Contrary to s35 of the county court Act 1984 s35 Division of causes of action.

2. Paragraph 2 is noted with regards to termination of the alleged contractual Agreement , the Defendant has no knowledge, therefore the Claimant is placed to strict proof there of.

3. Paragraph 1 is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

5. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

6. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Andy, your one does sound better and reads more "legal" (to me anyway, a layman).

I know you said edit to suit but just so I am clear on the meanings behind what I am writing...

the Claimant has yet to disclose any Agreement. Furthermore any claim for partial monies is averred Contrary to s35 of the county court Act 1984 s35 Division of causes of action.

Is this just for split claims? How would one determine a split claim, would it normally say in POC?

Also does paragraph 5 basically mean they are not entitled to ask for money as I haven't had a deed of assignment?

Should I receive documents in the meantime from BC or claimant, would I then be able to amend or submit a new defence based on what they send?

Thanks again, appreciate your help.

Thanks Andy, your one does sound better and reads more "legal" (to me anyway, a layman).

I know you said edit to suit but just so I am clear on the meanings behind what I am writing...

Is this just for split claims? How would one determine a split claim, would it normally say in POC? That point is yes they normally state " Partial Monies "

Also does paragraph 5 basically mean they are not entitled to ask for money as I haven't had a deed of assignment? Notice of Assignment yes

Should I receive documents in the meantime from BC or claimant, would I then be able to amend or submit a new defence based on what they send? You expand within your AQ and WS dont amend your defence as this adds to costs. State within your defence you have asked for disclosure pursuant to CPR 31.14 and the Claimant has ignored your request...leave it at that, the DJ can make what he likes from that statement.

Thanks again, appreciate your help.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

My POC was

THE CLAIMANT'S CLAIM IS FOR THE BALANCE DUE UNDER AN AGREEMENT WHICH IS NOW ALL DUE AND PAYABLE.

THE DEFENDANT AGREED TO PAY MONTHLY INSTALMENTS UNDER ACCOUNT NUMBER XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX BUT HAS FAILED TO DO SO.

AND THE CLAIMANT CLAIMS THE SUM OF XXX.XX.

THE CLAIMANT ALSO CLAIMS interest THEREON PURSUANT TO S.69 COUNTY COURT ACT 1984 LIMITED TO ONE YEAR TO THE DATE HEREOF AT THE RATE OF 8%PER ANNUM AMOUNTING TO 0.00

DRAFT

DEFENCE

1. Paragraph 1 is neither admitted nor denied with regards to the Defendant entering in to an Agreement referred to in the Particulars of Claim ('the Agreement') the Claimant has yet to disclose any Agreement.

2. Paragraph 2 is noted with regards to termination of the alleged contractual Agreement, the Defendant has no knowledge; therefore the Claimant is placed to strict proof thereof.

3. Paragraph 1 & 3 is denied with regards to the Defendant owing any monies to the Claimant and the Claimant is put to strict proof to:

(a) show how the Defendant has entered into an agreement with the Claimant; and

(b) show how the Defendant has reached the amount claimed for; and

© show how the Claimant has the legal right, either under statute or equity to issue a claim;

4. I have asked for disclosure pursuant to CPR 31.14 and the Claimant has not yet fulfilled request.

5. As per Civil Procedure Rule 16.5(4), it is expected that the Claimant prove the allegation that the money is owed.

6. On the alternative, if the Claimant is an assignee of a debt, it is denied that the Claimant has the right to lay a claim due to contraventions of Section 136 of the Law of Property Act and Section 82A of the Consumer Credit Act 1974.

7. By reason of the facts and matters set out above, it is denied that the Claimant is entitled to the relief claimed or any relief.

How does this look? Admittedly it isn't a lot different. My question is do I mention that BC offered a 14 day extension on receipt of documents (see post #39)? ......or is it enough that I just put they haven't complied/fulfilled request as per line 4?

Any further advice/amendments more than welcome. Apologies for the need for hand holding on this, I've been staring at various threads for most of evening and head is all over the place.

I guess you could rewrite point 4 as follows:-

4: I have asked for disclosure pursuant to CPR 31.14 and the Claimant has not yet fulfilled request, other than to provide an ambigous letter/communication advising that the "claimant will permit an extra 14 days from disclosure of documents for the defendant to submit a defence". Still not providing any confirmed date for them supplying the documents. It is my understanding that such a "variable date" is not permitted under CPR15.5 as the parties to the claim are only allowed to extend by 28 days. After which time, only the court can extend further on application.

4a: Having contacted the Court for guidance, I was advised that it would be in my interests to submit a defence as the Claimant would be able to file for a default judgment, as there was no clear instruction to extend.

How does that sound ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I guess you could rewrite point 4 as follows:-

How does that sound ?

:thumb:

• Haha 1

I've just submitted defence online.

One small question: I made a CCA request to a previous DCA a number of years ago who were unable to provide documents who I have since SAR'd (as well as OC). Would it be worth sending a new CCA request to Arrow Global or would wait to see if they comply with CPR request?

Thanks.

You don't 'know' what the cause it yet until it responds to the CPR request. Tbh, you really don't want to be giving them any clues by making CCA requests for unknown accounts. If it turns out they have something enforceable you may be able to counter with the earlier CCA dispute if the quantum of claim is made up of interest in default etc.

You don't 'know' what the cause it yet until it responds to the CPR request. Tbh, you really don't want to be giving them any clues by making CCA requests for unknown accounts. If it turns out they have something enforceable you may be able to counter with the earlier CCA dispute if the quantum of claim is made up of interest in default etc.

Understood, thanks Mike.

I think you should have made a CCA request as soon as you received the first letter from AG which would have left them in breach of s78 had they failed to comply.

If you have a CPR request in then they should respond to that.

If previous DCAs have failed to comply with an s78 request, I wonder if there is a problem retrieving a copy !

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Hi Cb

I don't believe there has been any contact from AG with the exception of the claim..... post #1 contains a brief outline of events.

Perhaps Dcat can confirm

So no communication to advise they were the new owners or anything at all. Just straight into a claim ?

Sheesh..

BCOBS

So no communication to advise they were the new owners or anything at all. Just straight into a claim ?

Sheesh..

According to their site they were debt purchasers of the year in 2011 (they must be so proud). Maybe they were just too busy to have the decency to let me know they'd bought this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update. Received what would be seem to be the standard letter from BC stating that are no longer instructed and have returned the account to their client. Still fairly early days but not heard anything else apart from this.

I imagine your next communication will be from Arrow, advising that their litigation department will be taking over and all correspondence in respect of the claim will now need to go to them.

I find it very strange indeed that they do this !!

BCOBS

has your request under CPR 31.14 been acknowledged and complied with

were you given extra time to file a defence as to CPR 15.5 AND DID YOU INFORM THE COURT ON THIS AGREEMENT BETWEEN CARTER AND YOURSELF

Hi,

My CPR31.14 and CPR18 have been acknowledged with a vague filing extension (see previous posts) and I sent a letter in post #33 (courtesy of CitizenB) recorded delivery to the court and sent a copy to BC too. I have since submitted a defence on advice of court and people here as I couldn't be sure BC would honour the extension they offered (see earlier posts).

Is it advisable to chase up my CPR requests with Arrow or just sit tight (as BC are now not dealing with it)?

Is it advisable to chase up my CPR requests with Arrow or just sit tight (as BC are now not dealing with it)?

I wouldn't be inclined to remind it of anything, it has your requests....... if it fails to comply and proceeds with the case you can add a draft order for disclosure at AQ. Depending on whether the court agrees with you that would be the time to look at your options again.

I wouldn't be inclined to remind it of anything, it has your requests....... if it fails to comply and proceeds with the case you can add a draft order for disclosure at AQ. Depending on whether the court agrees with you that would be the time to look at your options again.

Thanks mate, sounds like a good idea. I think I'll wait for the AQ as you suggest. :-)

the only draw back of doing a directions application when you get the AQ is that it gives the claimant more time to retrieve any documents

a directions order now puts them on 14 days notice to comply with cpr 31.14 or the claim gets slung out

but its your choice at the end of the day