very old council tax bill and current bailiffs threatening letter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4231 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all it never rains does it.

I just got a threatening letter this morning from a bailiffs company about an a old incorrect paid and settled council tax debt from 1997 with an enforcemant notice from 1999.

to cut a long story short we moved into an address in july 1997 and fell behind with our council tax, rosen heimes bailiff was appointed to collect said arrears and we paid it off over the next year or so 2001/2002 it was settled in full including their fees.

we then recieved a letter out of the blue earlier this year from Hounslow council regarding what they said was outstanding council tax from april 1997 to june 1997. we replied that we did not live there then and did not owe them anything.

we got another letter saying we owed this money and to pay now, we asked for the supporting documents to show we owed them anything and got this bailiff letter in reply.

A little more info, when we moved up here to scotland we recieved a refund for overpaid council tax from hounslow council of £160.00

why would we get a refund if we owed them anything?

can they harrass us for a 13 year old debt that we dont owe even though they claim they have a liability order,

not that they have shown us this alledged order,

what can i do

Andy

HSBC

Prelim sent 1st aug

LBA sent 15th aug

MCOL issued 31st aug

offer recieved and rejected 5 sept

second offer recieved 3rd oct

liability orders never go away and always active until settled

you will be best to deal with the council in writing to get things sorted

keep bailiffs out deny a levy on anything and not a lot they can do there is no right of entry

council should call bailiffs off and investigate fully

If i have helped in any way hit my star.

any advice given is based on experience and learnt from this site :-)

Hi all it never rains does it.

I just got a threatening letter this morning from a bailiffs company about an a old incorrect paid and settled council tax debt from 1997 with an enforcemant notice from 1999.

to cut a long story short we moved into an address in july 1997 and fell behind with our council tax, rosen heimes bailiff was appointed to collect said arrears and we paid it off over the next year or so 2001/2002 it was settled in full including their fees.

we then recieved a letter out of the blue earlier this year from Hounslow council regarding what they said was outstanding council tax from april 1997 to june 1997. we replied that we did not live there then and did not owe them anything.

we got another letter saying we owed this money and to pay now, we asked for the supporting documents to show we owed them anything and got this bailiff letter in reply.

A little more info, when we moved up here to scotland we recieved a refund for overpaid council tax from hounslow council of £160.00

why would we get a refund if we owed them anything?

can they harrass us for a 13 year old debt that we dont owe even though they claim they have a liability order,

not that they have shown us this alledged order,

what can i do

Andy

Yes you must make a complaint in writing to the council and threaten to involve the LGO. Send a copy to the bailiff company.

There are many councils that are going through their account to try to find money, as the government have cut their funding and have been told that they should not be increasing council taxes. Trouble is that I expect that their account going back 15 years ago are probably not that accurate.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Yes you must make a complaint in writing to the council and threaten to involve the LGO. Send a copy to the bailiff company.

There are many councils that are going through their account to try to find money, as the government have cut their funding and have been told that they should not be increasing council taxes. Trouble is that I expect that their account going back 15 years ago are probably not that accurate.

thats a good idea

also it looks like rosen heims has gone out of business ( a bankrupt bailiff ? ) do you think that may have something to do with it ?

HSBC

Prelim sent 1st aug

LBA sent 15th aug

MCOL issued 31st aug

thats a good idea

also it looks like rosen heims has gone out of business ( a bankrupt bailiff ? ) do you think that may have something to do with it ?

The bailiff going bust is not the issue. Obviously the council still have an outstanding amount flagged on the account for that year. But the trouble is that the accounts records may not be correct and that they have not reconciled amounts received at a later date. Tell the information in your post earlier and it is up to them to look into it.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• 1 month later...

Hi all just a little update.

got a Bankruptcy Proceedings letter from newlyn bailiffs this morning threatening Bankruptcy Proceedings or comittal to prison for three months and implying that they will then sell my home to settle the debt of £248.76 that we do not owe.

we live in scotland so anything done would have to be done under scottish law

what do you think?

cheers

Andy

HSBC

Prelim sent 1st aug

LBA sent 15th aug

MCOL issued 31st aug

Newlyn don't make the decisions, the Council do. Going back to your original Bailiff I vaguely remember something about Bailiffs having collected but not passed the monies on, whether or not this is the same I do not know. It would be interesting to find out what Newlyn think they can charge for this! The Council must be able to prove this debt and not just say you owe it, after all I could ask for the £100 or so I say I lent you.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi all just a little update.

got a Bankruptcy Proceedings letter from newlyn bailiffs this morning threatening Bankruptcy Proceedings or comittal to prison for three months and implying that they will then sell my home to settle the debt of £248.76 that we do not owe.

we live in scotland so anything done would have to be done under scottish law

what do you think?

cheers

Andy

You cannot be made bankrupt for a debt under £750 & they know it. Time to lodge some complaints for misrepresentation.

You cannot be made bankrupt for a debt under £750 & they know it. Time to lodge some complaints for misrepresentation.

that is good to know, it is one worry less.

HSBC

Prelim sent 1st aug

LBA sent 15th aug

MCOL issued 31st aug