Flyboy - Default notice... or NOT !!

FlyboyAgain
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4100 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Cabot themselves cant enter a default marker, all they are permitted to do is to update the original.. The date of which cannot be changed. HTH

That's what I thought. I was served a terror-tactic Stat Demand by a solicitor acting for a big DCA. I sent off the denial and then attempted to DSAR the solicitor, just to see what he had on the account. He sent the cheque back, citing 'legal priviledge'. But get this - he also sent an updated default notice, signed by himself and on behalf of his firm! Surely he is not allowed to do this? I have the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission investigating his overall behaviour but is there any other body I can alert so that he gets his devious little knuckles rapped?

I should add that the account was assigned, so the DCA has full ownership of it. I was just amazed at this monkey solicitor trying it on with a completely different default notice than the one I'd had from the bank all those years ago. He has no legal right to construct such a notice, has he?

In answer to your question - no he doesnt have that right.

I will flag your post for site team who may be able to advise further.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

In answer to your question - no he doesnt have that right.

I will flag your post for site team who may be able to advise further.

Hi

This is a perfectly crystal clear case of attempted Fraud by the Solicitor. I would write to him and inform him that ALL documents have been passed to the Police. Suggest that he reads the Fraud Act and that there is likely to be a substantial claim for Damages filed. You are entitled to the protection of the Law, both Civil AND Criminal.

Best wishes

Dougal

Update: 2013 Following our recent (9/7/13) hearing about Bank Charges at the Court of Appeal, and refusal to grant permission to Appeal; an Application has just (23/10/2013) been made for a fresh hearing and the Court Location is yet to be confirmed!

Some instant observations..

1 : Default notices are issued under section 87(1) of the Act

2: Default notices can only ask for arrears - it would appear the notice above is asking for the total sum outstanding.

3: The Notice claims that there has already been a Notice issued along with a termination notice - as the agreement had been terminated, on what contract was the DN being issued ?

4: A DN is issued with a time to remedy a breach - if the breach is remedied within the time stated, then it is as if the breach had not taken place. The Solicitor is in no position to restore the contract to its original status if you had remedied.

5: Do you have a copy of the terms and conditions and is the clause 3.5 he refers to, correct ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This original default notice for this account was served by the original creditor to me in July 2005; the T&Cs were all over the place, etc,etc.

What I have also pulled this sol up for is that in his 2nd para, he mentions that '... interest was charged on unpaid amounts....' How can this be possible, when the account was in dispute and no further charges were applied since the OC issued the default notice? I seriously think this guy is talking out of his ring.

Citizen B - I have the T&Cs but haven't yet looked at clause 3.5 but will tonight.

Ok, I've dug out the old paperwork pertaining to the account. The sol has lifted a section of the T&Cs that were part of the original agreement. Back then, in 2004-5, with the help of CAB and in agreement with the bank, I had reduced my month payment to the account. The bank then issued the default in July of that year, IIRC, and I kept on paying until I CCAd them in 2008. I haven't the faintest why this sol has included this paragraph.

The fool has no idea of the actual status of the account and I think the SD was one of those 'long shot' threats for, despite threatening to take me to court for the outstanding amount, he has vanished from my door-mat.

I am keen to teach this guy a lesson. As I've stated, I have a complaint against him being reviewed by the Scottish Legal Complaints Commission and then possibly by the Law Society. However, if he is guilty of fraudulent activity, I'd need good evidence of it before I went to the police. The OFT will not help me on this one, other than acknowledging his (or his DCA's) handling of the SD.

All help greatly received. Come on, help me drown a dirty rat!

So you are in Scotland ?

You might be lucky and get some free advice from Govan Law Centre or http://www.gain4u.org.uk/document.aspx?cid=2

BCOBS

So, does this look like fraud by false representation, the fact that he's issued a legal financial document that he has no right to issue? Again, because it's Scotland, there may be a different set of rules. I think this new angle I should submit to the SLCC but it would be good to hear from others in they think fraud is defo afoot here.

Sorry, I didnt realise that Govan Law were restricted to the area they could help within.

In answer to your question in post # 17 - you will have to wait for far more knowledgeable people than me, I'm afraid.. this is beyond my understanding.

BCOBS

That's ok, CitizenB.

I've emailed my case officer at SLCC with this additional info but I know they are weeks away from making a decision on it or passing it to the Law Society.

As an aside, no law firms up here - esp the big finanicial ones - will handle any bank/CCA disputes; any approach I've made in the past - even to the law firm I usually use - has resulted with a 'Sorry, can't help' letter or has been totally ignored. All the help and knowledge I've gained to fight these people has come from sites like this.

I am livid. Wrote to the sol today and tried to explain to him why he cannot served a default notice on a bought debt from an account upon which the OC had already served a default notice some years earlier and terminated the agreement. I also asked him to remove any default marker he has attempted to place against this account (if he can, that is) and this is the reply I got tonight from and advance copy of the letter I sent to him via e-mail:-

We acknowledge receipt of your email with attachment.

We have no intention on acting upon it.

We have suggested before you take legal advice and once again urge you to do so.

Can you believe this **EDIT** nerve? So, if I find a mark placed by him (or the DCA) who do I approach about getting it removed? If it the sol himself and he is refusing to act, I will have grounds to sue, will I not?

All help gratefully received.

Edited by citizenB
Formatting - removed swear word

Has a default marker actually been placed against your credit files by this guy ?

BCOBS

Has a default marker actually been placed against your credit files by this guy ?

I cant check right now as Im working abroad. will have to wait a couple of weeks till Im home before I can reactivate the CR file held by Experian.

He has a consumer credit license to collect debt, not to make up default notices out of the blue for a debt he doesnt even own! Absolute monkey!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, just having a look at the file. The account is question has a default mark against it placed by 1st Crud. The default date is clearly marked on the file as xx/07/2008; this date is out by some three years and also by day and month dates. Why would 1st Crud do this? I have raised a dispute on this with Equifax.

Unfortunately, there is no mark that I can see from the monkey sol in Glasgow. In fact, there is nothing pertinent to the default he issued in May this year! Has he acted fraudulently?

• 3 weeks later...

Just checked the CF again to find the incorrect default date still there, despite raising an online query with Equifax. Tried to get access to the 'My Questions' folder online only for the page to tell me that my details are incorrect (they're not) or that the account has been disabled. Nice! So, have had to write to them and also 1st Crud to get that default date removed or altered back to its original one. Trading Standards reckon this solicitor has a case to answer and I'm having a meeting with them next week.