crb check, what do you think?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4265 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi I've been out of work for nearly a year,

have done supply teaching in that period but very infrequently, 2 or 3 days a month (often less).

I've been lucky enough to have secured an interview with Ingeus as an employment advisor, helping the long term unemployed,

I've already passed the telephone interview part and so now have face to face interview coming up.

I would love this job, I'd be VERY, VERY HAPPY to never see a classroom again!!!!

I'm a bit worried about the CRB check though.

Last year I received a caution, I'm actually really angry with myself for accepting it,

I guess I took the advice of the young solicitor who spoke to me, but wish I'd fought it.

I wont go into too much detail but basically

I had a sports bag with me when I entered a football ground in England, inside were 4 cans of lager, I was told that I'd committed an offence.

To cut a long story short,

I've a police caution: POSSESSION OF INTOXICATING LIQUOR WHEN ENTERING A SPORTS GROUND (SPORTING EVENTS CONTROL OF ALCOHOL ETC) ACT 1985.

If this wasn't on my CRB I am convinced that I would have a very good chance of getting this job,

but pretty much as the last 5 years have gone since qualifying as a teacher it seems this may thwart me.

How shall I play this in the interview.

I've also got a letter from the solicitor which corroborates my version of events as I type here.

Thank you

very much doubt it will cause you any harm.

pers i'd read the interview and see what tyou think

a simple honest and passing comment that you had a silly incident

about some cans of beer in your bag

at a football match

could be used as a light hearted honesty approch from you.

might even go your way , showing you are a truthful person.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Speaking as someone responsible for recruitment and selection (where employees are subject to CRB checks), I personally wouldn't be bothered by that at all.

I obviously can't speak for the rest of the western world, but I think that's a daft thing to criminalise someone over, and I would be far more interested in your current abilities, and getting satisfactory references from your current employer.

Honesty is definitely your best policy - it's going to show up, so you might as well get it out up front and get it out of the way.

"Then they came for me--and there was no one left to speak for me". Martin Niemöller

"A vital ingredient of success is not knowing that what you're attempting can't be done. A person ignorant of the possibility of failure can be a half-brick in the path of the bicycle of history". - Terry Pratchett

If I've been helpful, please click my star. :oops:

thank you for the replies, I'm very grateful. Yes I think I will have to somehow raise this in the interview. I have contemplated not mentioning it and then, should I be offered the job, when my CRB is conducted it would come to light and be seen for what it is. I'm highly likely to now bring it up in the interview but in another sense it is hardly ideal that I have to raise issues like this in an interview.

Hi I've been out of work for nearly a year,

have done supply teaching in that period but very infrequently, 2 or 3 days a month (often less).

I've been lucky enough to have secured an interview with Ingeus as an employment advisor, helping the long term unemployed,

I've already passed the telephone interview part and so now have face to face interview coming up.

I would love this job, I'd be VERY, VERY HAPPY to never see a classroom again!!!!

I'm a bit worried about the CRB check though.

Last year I received a caution, I'm actually really angry with myself for accepting it,

I guess I took the advice of the young solicitor who spoke to me, but wish I'd fought it.

I wont go into too much detail but basically

I had a sports bag with me when I entered a football ground in England, inside were 4 cans of lager, I was told that I'd committed an offence.

To cut a long story short,

I've a police caution: POSSESSION OF INTOXICATING LIQUOR WHEN ENTERING A SPORTS GROUND (SPORTING EVENTS CONTROL OF ALCOHOL ETC) ACT 1985.

If this wasn't on my CRB I am convinced that I would have a very good chance of getting this job,

but pretty much as the last 5 years have gone since qualifying as a teacher it seems this may thwart me.

How shall I play this in the interview.

I've also got a letter from the solicitor which corroborates my version of events as I type here.

Thank you

If the issue comes up at the interview, address it.... but otherwise, provided that you dont lie within the application form and are open and honest when you complete the CRB form, the matter will be given due consideration.

So you feel I shouldn't voluntarily disclose it? I'm just worried that I could be offered the job and then the offer is wihdrawn once they get my CRB back.

I know it's minor but they know so little about the circumstances and the CRB just states the above and no actual details of the circumstances. For the lay person looking at it I could have had a bottle of whisky in my jeans and have a drink problem.

You need to accurately and honest complete any job application forms, including telling them about CRB.

If the job isn't exempt from Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, then you don't need to declare it.

A police caution becomes spent as soon as you receive it.

If the application form says that the post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 then the caution must be disclosed, no matter how long ago it was given.

However, this does not mean that it will not be disclosed on a CRB check. Under the current system all cautions, reprimands and final warnings are disclosed on both Standard and Enhanced CRB disclosures no matter how far back they go. If a caution / reprimand / warning is on record then it will be disclosed.

Cautions will always remain on a person's record. There are only exceptional circumstances when a caution could be removed from a person's record. Examples of such possible circumstances are that it was found that the original arrest or sample was unlawful or where it was found beyond all doubt that no offence existed.

Edited by firstclassx

You need to accurately and honest complete any job application forms, including telling them about CRB.

If the job isn't exempt from Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974, then you don't need to declare it.

A police caution becomes spent as soon as you receive it.

If the application form says that the post is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 then the caution must be disclosed, no matter how long ago it was given.

However, this does not mean that it will not be disclosed on a CRB check. Under the current system all cautions, reprimands and final warnings are disclosed on both Standard and Enhanced CRB disclosures no matter how far back they go. If a caution / reprimand / warning is on record then it will be disclosed.

Cautions will always remain on a person's record. There are only exceptional circumstances when a caution could be removed from a person's record. Examples of such possible circumstances are that it was found that the original arrest or sample was unlawful or where it was found beyond all doubt that no offence existed.

Thanks, yes I know that it will appear as I have since had a CRB done as I've worked in fields where one is required.

I have already completed the application and did not mention it as, from memory, there was no question asking me to disclose anything of such. Plus the letter I have from the solicitor relating to the matter explicitly states "..............you were further advised that this is not a criminal conviction......." In hindsight I wish I'd never bothered with a solicitor as they swayed me from my original instinct not to accept it.

The law is an ass, a bit of research has shown that in the UK you could have the situation where a Frenchman engaged in a bit of thieving as a 16 yr old but this misdermeanour was scrubbed by the French authorities meaning the CRB by law CANNOT SHOW IT UP, whilst a UK citizen could have engaged in thieving himself at 16 and the CRB will show it. So in theory you have 2 people going for the same UK job and the foreign national is able to have his youth crimes covered up on the CRB giving him a clear advantage.