Jump to content

  • Tweets

  • Posts

  • Our picks

    • If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
        • Like
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

      On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

      Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

      The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

      I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

      Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

      Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
        • Like
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

      The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

      Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

      One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

      Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

      We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

      It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.


      OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
        • Like

House flooded - need to recover my excesses

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4329 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Hi, really hope someone can help me out here, a little back-ground on my story.



Late Jan 2010 and it was a very cold winter, my house was flooded severely from the flat above, the actual cause of the flooding to the best of my knowledge was this: A mains water supply pipe to a header tank in the loft space had become frozen and uncoupled, when the ice started to thaw this mains water pipe started flooding the loft space, brought down the ceilings in the flat above mine, flooded that property and then brought my ceilings down, every room in my house was water damaged except one bedroom which was at the other end of the property.



This flat was owned by a local housing association and had lay vacant for approx 6 years. My claim was all settled by my insurance however I had to pay £200 buildings and £200 contents excesses. As far as i know my insurance has still not recovered the cost of my claim from this housing association, in the last two weeks I've had an independent architect sent to my property to try to establish the cause or basically who was to blame. We gained access to the loft space and the independent architect was of the opinion that my flat (prior to me moving in) had joint use of this header tank in the loft with the flat above until my flat got a combi boiler installed (again prior to me moving in). He basically said that as far as the insurance recovering their money there was no-one to blame and that my insurance would need to cover their costs as would the housing association.



He however suggested I may have a case to recover my excesses for several reasons,



1 - The property had lay vacant for such a long time and no maintenance had been carried out (neglegent)


2 - I had no access to the loft space as the only access was through the flat above.


3 - This architect discovered this mains water supply pipe can only be isolated from a stop-cock across the street from our flats, there is no way to shut off the water to the flat above on its own. The stop cock across the street shuts the four flats off in our block. ave spoken to a legal



I have spoken to a legal advice line I get through my union and they have advised I would need to go through the small claims courts (Scotland) and I am unsure of this process or what I am required to do.



Really hope this is enough info however if not please ask and thanks in advance for any help

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi liambee


Couple of questions:


1. Are you a Tenant or an Owner Occupier in your Flat?

2. Do you pay a Factoring Charge to the Housing Association?

3. Do the Housing Association Maintain the whole building?


I can sympathise with you as had a similar issue during that bad spell.


The issue you may run into with this is the extreme weather and clauses excluding acts of god or extreme/severe weather which during that period it was.


You will also need to find the root cause of the flooding if it can be proved that it was the header tank in the loft or not .


Your Independent Architect has not actually given you any proof that the header tank was at fault and his advice on the flat above being empty with no maintenence is shoddy advice at best as where is this independent Architects evidence of this as if you use that advice you would have to provide valid proof of this.


I would really need you to answer those questions above to give further advice.

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Stu, I bought the house in Feb 2005 so I am a home owner but mortgaged, no there is no factoring charge paid to the housing assoc, no the housing assoc do not maintain the building.


I understand your point about exterme weather, the angle I am thinking off is when the floodoing took place and we called the police to gain entry to the flat above there was, without a word of a lie 2 foot of mail, no one had been on that property to check, carry out any kind of maintenance on the place.


If im being honest I find his advice shoddy but for a diferent reason, he is not agreeing with me, at the end of the day I do not understand how I can be held liable or be out of pocket for a situation I have no control over and also we have now discovered that the water supply to this flat cannot be stopped without shutting down the water supply to four other properties, surely the housing assoc have a duty to be able to stop any further damage to further properties.


I have been advised I need to write to the housing assoc concerned and request they repay my excesses and failure to do so will result in me taking the matter to the small claims court.


Hope this helps, if not please ask.





Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi liambee


Who actually owns the building the flats are in is it the Housing Association? or does the Housing Association only own that one Flat above you?


Also something to bear in mind all Registered Social Landlord (Local Councils and Housing Association) now have to follow the new Complaints Procedure issued by the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman from April 2012

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Link to post
Share on other sites

The flat upstairs is the only property owned by the housing assoc, the other 3 flats including mine ae all owned by private individuals.


Could you give any guidance in what I should put in the letter to the housing assoc, I have again taken legal advice and have been instructed I have to write to them stating my reasons for claiming my excesses from them and give 14 days for them to reply. I have been advised I should state I feel they were neglegant in maintaining the property and this would be my reason for holding the liable.





Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...