Redundancy - Delaying tatics

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4267 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there, my first time on this forum, but have been reading with interest several posts from users about Redundancy and would like some advice if you have time please.

I've worked at a company for just short of 5 yrs. In that time I've had excellent reviews and am considered a good worker. About 18 mths ago I was promoted to manage a team working on a website for the client who we work with.

All going great, been regularly told what a success the website was and how good we were doing.

Then a few changes at the cleint end and on Wednesday 8th I was asked to attend a meeting with my line manager where I was told the cleint have withdrawn funding for the website and effectively my role will disappear.

Attended a HR meeting Thursday 9th and was told unless I can find something else internally (using contacts I have or staff vacancy lists) by 23rd August I will then be put on my contractual 1 mth notice period and loose my job on 23rd Sept.

No alternatives were suggested at the meeting, although I have forced a meeting with HR tomorrow (Monday 13th) to see if they have anything in the pipeline which isn't on any vacancy lists.

My main questions are around the length of time I am being given. I have suffered from Anxiety attacks, stress and migraine in the past and had medical treatment to this end, this can be verified on my company records as it was about 2 yrs ago.

Since this bad news I've not slept properly, had a mild anxiety attack, had migraines and can't eat/digest properly.

I am keen to know if I have any medical grounds to slow the process, so I have more time to find alternative works.

Any advice ?

Not really - if anything your condition is grounds to speed the process up and conclude it more quickly for you.

Is the client closing the web site? I am wondering if maybe this is a TUPE situation, where is the work going?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Ok, that's not ideal but I can see what you are saying and it makes sense.

So the website is being stopped and the supporting roles will be stopped too as they were put in place specifically for the site.

There is no TUPE as the company I work for have another 2 yrs on the contract so the role will not continue.

Any other ideas I could try to buy some time ?

other than "asking nicely"? Not much.

Have you called up every department head who may have roles you could do? Are you working your network?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

Hi,

if you are suffering health problems it might be worth getting signed off by your GP for a (brief?) period of time. They can't just run roughshod over an ill employee.... surely???

From a legal, not compassionate, perspective ,yes they can. Going sick now probably hurts chances of internal jobs. I'd sit tight.

I am calling my network, and pushing that possibility. But am just trying anything I can to slow the process.

Sadly the sick angle was all I can think of, but I can really see them saying 'well if you are suffering we'll let you go now' which is defeating the purpose of what I am trying to archieve.

Meet HR today, more of the same, am getting the feeling work just want me gone to save the money, despite what my manager was saying about 'it costs the company money to make people redundant'.

Not sure what money ?

Meet HR today, more of the same, am getting the feeling work just want me gone to save the money, despite what my manager was saying about 'it costs the company money to make people redundant'.

Not sure what money ?

Redundancy pay, I guess!

Further development, can someone advise me on this and the legality:_

I have been added to an internal list of staff to be redeployed. This list is for managers recruiting to check against when a role comes up to attempt to keep staff within the company. All sorts of staff are on the list, and it can be people who are "at risk of redundancy" or people who are looking for a change. I was once told by my manager that we are "obliged" to give interviews to staff from the list who have the relevant background.

I applied for an internal role last week, and was told I wouldn't get an interview, the reason being "The other candidates were stronger and had more experience in the role". My question is whether it is legal for them to exclude me from interview as 75% of the role is background in what I have. By not giving me an interview is it realistic to argue that the compnay aren't doing all they can to reassign me, especially as I have discovered the favourite for the role is moving internally and not "at risk" as I am, so if they don't get the job they still remain in a role. Unlike someone in my position ?

Would I have cause to raise a grievance ?

You have cause to appeal the decision, yes. The hiring manager may not be au fait with his legal duty, doesn't hurt to remind.... I assume the other candidates are in safe roles atm?

I understand only one other is "at risk". So yes. I asked for feedback on why I didn't get an interview, I've also asked HR if my understanding of being "obliged" to interview from that list is correct, I have quoted my former manager as I was in the same position when interviewing earlier this year.

yes, they are obliged. and if you meet the basic requirements with minimal development, you should get it. Or the other at risk chap.

Think I am building a few examples to raise a grievance.

I also found out about a job on my account which is coming up. I had a meeting with HR on the Thursday, and was told they weren't aware of any possible roles. The following Monday I was told (off the record by a colleague) of someone leaving. The person leaving had resigned and the job spec was already being written.

When I asked my manager why I wasn't told of this potential opportunity he told me maybe HR thought it was too beneath me to be of interest. Despite the fact I had done this role at a previous company.

When I pushed my boss he told me 'you can't be negative about HR otherwise I won't be able to help you find a new role' !