Comet Warranty - TV replacement

dajackel12
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4207 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I purchased a TV about 3 years ago from Comet, The tv at the time cost me £700, I purchased the Total Product Cover warranty which also covers accidental damage, 2 weeks ago I was moving the tv to another room and it slipped out my ends, to cut a long story short it was damaged, So I phoned up and the engineers came, took it and I phoned in today to check progress and they said they've written it off and will replace it.

Here's my issue, I said that was fine but they offered me a replacement tv which I did not like, They stated I could take the replacement or vouchers BUT they would only give me vouchers for £530 as that was the equivalent model price. I was told when I purchased the warranty that if vouchers would be issued it would be to the value of the purchase price (£700). in my T&C's it states this:

"If you choose not to accept this replacement, we may offer an alternative of the same current value, or Comet vouchers to the value of the advised replacement.

Should a replacement model not be available you will be given Comet vouchers up to the purchase price of the insured product. This is at our sole discretion.The value will always be limited to the original purchase price."

I asked them for the vouchers for original price so I can purchase a Tv that I actually liked and they refused. I'm not going to accept £530 when I insured for £700, is there anyone that had a similar issue or can help?

The replacement they have offered has

1 Scart lead instead of the 2 on my previous.

No VGA input whereas i had 1 on my previous tv.

No S-Video whereas I had 1 on previous tv.

I know it's not much but I used the VGA to connect my laptop and I had 2 scart leads for my old video and dvd player so I did use 2. I told them about this and how it didn't match in specification but they said that's not what they class as spec. We had a lengthy debate but they wouldn't budge and said they would only offer the replacement TV or it's equivalent value, They wouldn't offer me the full paid value in vouchers.

Is there anyway to take this further or has anyone got an email address to complain to, I have tried complaining but they said just write in to comet.

Hi daj ,

As far as I was aware the replacement product must have at LEAST the minimum Specification of the original product as per the T&C of Total Product Warranty.

However COMET will now move every goal post the can in their favour .

The Site Team Guys can advise you further with regards to this issue but the email address you require is ,

[email protected]

This is the contact email address to the Directors Office

Let them know the problem and keep us informed here on CAG .

Good Luck ,

Regards

GorgieBoy

Hi,

Thanks for the swift reply, I really appreciate it, I will drop him an email tomorrow morning and see what happens. I will keep this thread updated, if theres anyone that can advise further then I would be very greatful

Thanks again

Hi daj

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened, how they have let you down (the replacement product should have the same features - in theory the 'Replacement' isn't 'fit for purpose' because you need 2 scarts, you need a VGA input and you need a S-Video - tell him exactly why you need them and that's why your rejecting that particular 'Replacement').

Have a read of no. 10 in my signature.

Send it to:-

Bob Darke, Managing Director

[email protected]

Some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Hi guys

Thanks for the advise, I've emailed my complaint letter over explaining why the replacement is not an replacement because of the scart and vga inputs, it was quite lengthy but to the point, I hope i get a reply soon, meanwhile the comet insurance people have phoned me again asking weather I want the replacement tv or vouchers, I said at the moment nothing and I am complaining and will get back to them.

is there anything else I should inform them or do now? or is it just a matter of waiting for a reply?

thank you so much for the replies.

Just wait for a reply.

Hi guys

Thanks for the advise, I've emailed my complaint letter over explaining why the replacement is not an replacement because of the scart and vga inputs, it was quite lengthy but to the point, I hope i get a reply soon, meanwhile the comet insurance people have phoned me again asking weather I want the replacement tv or vouchers, I said at the moment nothing and I am complaining and will get back to them.

is there anything else I should inform them or do now? or is it just a matter of waiting for a reply?

thank you so much for the replies.

Send the e-mail again.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the reply, well it's thursday now and still no reply from Mr Darke :mad2::sad::sad:

Any other advise on what I should do next or is it best just to accept there offer of £530? :-(

thanks

Hi guys,

Well i've received a reply from Bob Darke's assistant or someone, They've said the following:

Thank you for your further e-mail

I am responding on behalf of Bob Darke as this falls within my area of responsibility.

We would not go by the number of scart inputs or vga inputs when choosing a replacement for you as these are dying technologies and will soon be extinct. We base the replacement on screen size, number of hdmi connections and other features like full hd/3d/smart. It does state in the terms and conditions that if a customer is not happy with the replacement then we would offer the value of the replacement for them to choose their own. Gift cards are a very last resort option and would still only be to the value of the replacement found as the tv that was chosen would of been to spec based on the criteria we use.

I understand this may not be the response you were looking for however i trust this clarified comets position on the matter. I am sorry for any inconvenience or frustration caused.

If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact me using the Ask a Question facility on the website http://comet.custhelp.com/app/ask or by telephone on 08712 009 009.

I've already explained that I chose the TV on scart etc in the first email, Do you think they would budge or is that it now?

Thanks

Hi daj ,

" soon will be extinct " by that they probably mean themselves , never mind scart sockets !

Not sure where you go from here it does seem they are not going to budge from their offer .

What was the Model of your Tv that was written off ?

I am sure for £530.00 there must be some Tv they have that will be suitable with Scarts and VGA input .

That said did you ask the question with regards to the T&C where your policy is now only worth £530.00 where the original policy taken out was based on goods which cost £700.00.

Is depreciation mentioned in the Policy as this is what they seem to be taking into account here ?

I am sure rebel can advise you further on your ongoing problem .

Regards

GorgieBoy

Thanks for the reply mate,

Yeah I don't know where to go from here, the £530.00 replacement they offered me was better than my previous tv but I just think i've been cheated by the extended warranty, they said if they can't replace it with a same spec model then they would give gift vouchers/card of the price I paid for the original product (£700), That extra £170 will get me a better tv :-D

The terms and conditions don't mention anything about depreciation, it just says:

"If you choose not to accept this replacement, we may offer an alternative of the same current value, or Comet vouchers to the value of the advised replacement.

Should a replacement model not be available you will be given Comet vouchers up to the purchase price of the insured product. This is at our sole discretion.The value will always be limited to the original purchase price."

There isn't any tv on there site that has 2 scart inputs, however I don't think means no other tv will have it, maybe Comet just don't have any but other stores might, i'll check up on this.

But it seems like Comet themselves choose what they class as "Specification", they only consider screen size, hdmi ports and full hd as specification.

Anyway, thanks for the advise, bit lost as to what to do next, hope rebel can advise further.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, Just an update, Well after contacting trading standards on the warranty issue, I called up the warranty department again and they told me they are giving me the full £700.00 to spend on a new tv, I am really happy about this but just frustrated it took them so long,

Thanks for all the help and support from everyone here, I really appreciate it, and to anyone else having a similar problem, I recommend contacting Mr Darke first via email and then if that doesn't work then contact trading standards and hopefully that should help.

Thanks again

Hi daj ,

Great result , thanks for the Update ,

But shocking this has taken 10 weeks to resolve .

Finally a Thread to be Marked " RESOLVED " at last :-D

Hi Site Team ,

Could we have this Thread Marked **** RESOLVED **** please , it may help others with similar issues .

Thanks ,

Regards

GorgieBoy