style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4250 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have today within my probationery period been informed that my references were unacceptable. The company applied to a previous employer and said that they sent a "basic" reference and that that usually meant that there was a problem.

Do I have any redress on this because I have no detrimental record against me. They just said dismissed with 1 weeks lieu of notice.

How do I find out what is the matter with the reference? What do they mean "basic" please

Hi there. I am currently going through an appeal process. You are entitled under section 7 of the data protection act to have a copy of the reference sent by your previous employer to your current employer. Try at first to ask them for a copy and if that doesn't work you can send a SAR to request the reference.

Basic just means dates you were employed, your job title and reason for leaving.

Most companies only provide this information. It's all that I would get if I left.

Yes..very true, many companies afraid of possible legal action should the reference mention something possibly untrue just put a basic reference these days, it doesnt mean much you may of been the best employee ever or the worst !

It often a good idea to try and get a personal reference from an individual, your line manager, etc..although I did this at my last joband that is rather vague too !

Andy

All sounds like your employer is using this as an excuse. Many of the top companies in the UK will only give a 'basic' reference to confirm dates worked and the absolute minimum information - as Andy says this is increasingly to avoid possible litigation. It is the personal references which would normally elaborate a little and which would indicate how very nice and competent you are!

You can perhaps write to your former employer if you left on good terms and ask what they are playing at - I feel that if the reference is 'basic' then you will not learn much from seeing it at this stage, and then appeal the dismissal - you should appeal it anyway but the employer, if they are determined to do so, can dismiss at will and for pretty much whatever reason within the first 12 (or 24 depending on your start date) months.

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

A basic reference would be perfectly acceptable to me and I consider them "normal" not "bad." Is it a small company or a newish HR person who may be unaware of the industry standard?

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

I left a multinational Company to work for a very successful Company. I am going to appeal this decision as I think I have the right to? I know that the HR people are not all new as I have had dealings with them in sorting issues out for which I was hired.

They say it is there policy, but I read the staff handbook last night and cannot find any reference to what is called "acceptable references".

the reference? you don't. there is no legal right to a reference of any kind.

the job? you ask very nicely. you have very limited employment rights and none of them have been breached.

Never assume anyone on the internet is who they say they are. Only rely on advice from insured professionals you have paid for!

• 3 weeks later...

I think first of all you need to see the reference - if it just a basic reference you could appeal the decision or even speak to you former employer - they may be willing to contact your current employer and advise that they offer basic references as a matter of course, and that no negative (or positive) assumptions should be made from it.

I think first of all you need to see the reference - if it just a basic reference you could appeal the decision or even speak to you former employer - they may be willing to contact your current employer and advise that they offer basic references as a matter of course, and that no negative (or positive) assumptions should be made from it.

Many thanks and that is what I have done. Still no joy though so looking for another job! Still can tell them not to expect anything much back can't I. In point of fact the letters they got did say nothing negative. Just wish someone could make it a lot clearer when you are about to join, plus if you left the business they write to over 8 years ago would they have any other record any way?

If you genuinelly were awful at your last job then your previous employer could say so, becayse it would be the truth, but of course many simply would not bother and instead opting for a basic reference, although if you had been at a job for a long time and were given more responsibilities/promotion/trained others then this would imply they had no problem with you.

Andy