Torn in two

benidorm60
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4225 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Well many people on here and on other sites are very clearly upset when they find they are being investigated after being reported erroneously so I think it does do damage and can ruin friendships. I know this is the OPs call but even if I knew a person was doing what she is saying I still don't think I could report them it's just how I personally feel about it. Its not that I condone it, I really don't but the full facts are not just the material or financial facts. Perhaps this woman is in a transitional phase in her life where she is now in this relationship, trying to go back to work I don't know what her situation with her boyfriend is perhaps he is staying there but regards his money as his own and never contributes a penny. And God forgive me but I don't think a person on benefits doing the odd bit of cash in hand work is the biggest crime of the century, In the 80's we had a neighbour who was out of work long term as were many men. He had three kids and a wife and to for a bit of extra cash he cleaned the windows of a local pub once a week for a few quid until someone reported him leaving him and his family in crisis. It's not ideal but I don't think it's so terrible I really don't, peope do what they have to do to get by sometimes.

good post, one should think about the impact of what reporting would do, she works part time not full time, and her partner could easily leave her, so a report could turn her life into a suicidal situation quite easily.

what do you mean by cant get a swap.

it sounds like you jealous.

I dont know if she is claiming anything she shouldnt be but I think reporting fraudsters unless its large scale isnt something worth bothering with especially when its friends.

What would the OP be jealous of?

what do you mean by cant get a swap.

it sounds like you jealous.

I dont know if she is claiming anything she shouldnt be but I think reporting fraudsters unless its large scale isnt something worth bothering with especially when its friends.

I am not jealous why would I be, my friends daughter is now in trouble I was asking what may happen now.

I didnt report her but some other do gooder did.

I had my swap and am moving to my new house to be near my job and trying to help my friend but dont know what to say to her.

Her daughter has four children one with DlA so they need their mum

To be honest, it is probably best for her that somebody has informed the authorities of her fraud now rather than later

I regularly deal with people who have been in same situation as your friend's daughter, many of them have been committing fraud for a number of years, and when they get caught, they end up with a criminal record and a debt of £30k + which will be with them for years

Would they not have been better if someone had reported them years before?

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

There is unfortunately only one person to blame for this, and that is the person who has not informed the DWP and LA of their change in circumstances, no one else is to blame for the embarrassing and stressful situation this girl is now in. It's no good placing the blame at anyone else's door. Hopefully, if it has not been for long repayments can be set up for the amount overpaid and they won't take court action. She will get through this. Hopefully she will now realise the seriousness of incorrectly claiming benefits or not declaring income and will not do it again, and others who know her who might have behaved the same won't also do it. The more people are aware of people claiming and not declaring or claiming incorrectly and getting away with it the more others will do the same. I do however feel sorry for her and hope she is ok and treated kindly and that no court action is taken, but I place the blame entirely with her unfortunately and no one else.

The LA or JCP must have been looking in to this for some time, they will have been gathering evidence on this ready for their case

All she can do is be honest with them it would be for the best she and all she can do now.

The mother seemed to encourage her in my opinion and that not good either

I dont know how long it has been going on for but may result in an overpayment of both I.S and HB

The lengths to which the authorities will go in gathering evidence on suspected benefits cheats cannot be underestimated, as I said before. That said, if she confesses now and doesn't try to hide anything, offers to repay, and if it's not been going on for too long, they will treat the case with some leniency.

For those who question whether benefit fraud is worth investigating, I always ask whether they'd accept a £1000 theft from the Post Office as normal. Still a 'drop in the ocean' of public money, but many drops make an ocean and in case anyone hadn't noticed, money is a bit short right now. What I do have sympathy for is those in genuine need who can't get the support they need, or faced with mountains of bureaucracy, as being experienced by disabled people undergoing 'reassessment'.

What would the OP be jealous of?

the OP said she is financially struggling?

then she mentioned a holiday and so on suggesting that the other person in question is financially better off when doing less work.

This is the mindset of many anti benefit people in that they dont recognise the real reason people get benefits and think they just getting free money for nothing and having a luxury lifestyle. So they then happy to report at the first chance they get made much easier by a silly idea of keeping it anonymous.

This may not be the case with the OP, but it was the impression I got.

I know, although I dont know her personal circumstances.

What I do know is I knew someone who was sort of similiar circumstances.

When I first moved out of my parents I moved in with a good friend of mine. Eventually he found someone and started dating her, this women he found was a single mum she didnt work had DLA, housing benefit, council tax benefit, not sure if she claimed anything else on top of that. After a while he was living with her full time and I had the house to myself. They would rotate between the 2 properties every couple of weeks.

During this time she kept all her benefits going when I believe technically she shouldnt have but I fully understand why she did, becaue the relationship could break down at any given moment and it would be a battle to reclaim everything.

Eventually they decided to progress the relationship and my friend was selling the house, he said he was going to change her life, she would be off housing benefit and council tax benefit as he would fully support her, I assume at that point she would be technically legal on what she is claiming so it was only a temporary situation.

The potential repurcussions if she got reported before they got too attached to each other would be my friend may have decided having a partner been investigated for benefit fraud would be too much and split up but by that point she would be in trouble for what she is doing so would be on her own going through the fraud procedures with no income (as I assume benefits stopped for the duration) with her life likely wrecked. To me these sort of situations are sensitive and its usually vulnerable people involved, I expect doing things like occasional cash in hands jobs is not too uncommon, and I put it alongside self employed people not delcaring all their income to pay less taxes in terms of seriousness.

Now I should be very angry at fraudsters as it can be argued the fact they exist is why benefits are so tough to get, but my view is they make very little difference and they are a conveniant excuse for benefit cuts.

3 days ago I read a post on the bbc website comment section. The guy posted he was on a 6 figure salary, he was angry at paying 50% instead of 45% tax on top part of his earnings so he deliberatly made his wage min wage and put rest of his income in dividends. He did an extreme measure to pay the least tax possible, to me thats far worse than what this lady is doing. But what this guy did I believe is legal.

Edited by worried33

He has been living in the houshold for four years, she has been working for a year.

Nothing more to say unrill the interviiew.

They have a car for the little one will they lose it. My friend is mad and I thank God I didnt report them

I dont agree with it all but am not judge and jury.

My friends daughter is worried and has said when she finds out who has done it to them. God help them.

My friend has said the daughter is on £705 a week in total boyfriend only £300 so how the dickens is he gong to support them if found living over the brush.

What can they claim??

Have told my friend am posting her and she is happy for suggetions, but I am stuck to be honest

If it's a car funded by Motability, they won't lose it. DLA has nothing to do with income and is based on care and /or mobility needs.

Thank you for that, they need the car to get him around

If she closed her claim and said they he had just moved in would they be ok. I dont think so but my friend thinks it is a good idea.

None of his bills are at her daughters address he put his mums address down.

My friend isnt on the internet so thats why I am asking for her