• Tweets

• I don't think I've ever seen someone appeal a mags court decision on fare evasion, JK, but as you say in this case TiredDodo has pleaded guilty. It is possible to challenge, as below. HB Appeal a magistrates’ court decision: Overview - GOV.UK WWW.GOV.UK How to challenge a decision by a magistrates' court. Including how to get a fine reviewed, if you did not know about your case, how to appeal to the...  
    • Update! I have now opened the mail from Barclaycard. I am assuming that their letters were prompted by my confirmation to them of my change of address, which I had advised them of twice. They are treating my change of address notification as a "General Data Protection Regulation Right of Access Request"  and state that I have made a "Right of Access Request. They are asking me to provide valid indentity documents! I have made no such request and am minded to ignore their request for extra information? I should add that their letters were sent to my correct current address!
    • Are you allowed to appeal if you plead guilty?   I know you appeal the sentence, but the criminal record formed from your guilt would surely remain?   I'm not sure if your able to appeal a crimianl record if you plead guilty are you?
    • DX: I did not pursue Link after I got the CCJ amended to monthly payments. Pretty sure the CCJ does not mention reviews, I do have the CCJ somewhere, I will have to look it up in storage. It is as mentioned on the thread you referenced  in your post #28. The Barclays loan was taken out in September 2004 for 60 months! Current Balance remaining approx £2K. On checking back my past correspondence with Barclaycard about this loan, there was a history of them ignoring my letters and offers to pay, and I even had problems in obtaining their bank account details for them to accept my payments! I have received strange correspondence from them too, one referring to insurance which I did not have. They seem very disorganised! Barclaycard told me to pay "Masterloan" a while back and I now receive regular statements and arrears notices from "Personal Loans from Barclaycard" clearly marked Masterloan, they changed the account reference number! I have never requested a CCA on this account. I advised them of my change of address last September, but they are still sending, until today, statements etc. to my old address! I have received 2 letters from Barclaycard Loan today though, not opened them yet!!
    • Yes, a few months ago. They wrote back saying there was no CCA and the debt was unenforcable. I then started gtting bombarded with threatening emails from their 'litigations team' which have been sent to spam. I've now recieved the letter before claim with the PAP form enclosed, but still no CCA or even a letter from them to say the debt is deemed enforcable. Thank you.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Incorrect item sent, who is responsible for return postage?

TheV5
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4226 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I purchased a clutch kit for my vehicle from CarParts4Less through their website. Their website allows you to enter your registration number and it will only bring up suitable parts for your car. However, when the garage went to fit the clutch, it wouldn't go and they looked into it and said they have sent the wrong clutch. After further investigation, the part number on their website is for a VW Golf gearbox, whereas I have a Seat Toledo. In essence, they are the same car under the skin (engine, switch gear etc), but the gearbox is different. It appears that CarParts4Less are not aware of this and have listed it incorrectly on their website.

Now Carparts4less have agreed to a refund but are insisting that I am responsible for the return postage costs. They are willing to make a goodwill gesture of £5 towards the costs! I have said to them that the item is not fit for purpose as discribed on their website and therefore it is their mistake. But they are unwilling to move on this. The return postage is going to cost around £25 as it is very heavy.

Can I have some advice on how to deal with this matter. I fail to see why I should be paying any monies towards their mistake. As far as I am aware they are legally required to pay for return postage or collect the item from me if the item is incorrect and/or not fit for purpose. I have looked through various consumer sites and indeed on this site and feel I am in the right. But I would love some confirmation before taking the matter further.

Many thanks

Thanks for the link. This is what I looked at before and what I have quoted to them. But they still say it is down to me to pay for the return and they as a gesture of goodwill will take £5 off the postage. They just don't seem to understand this. They keep quoting their T&C's, which at best state I am liable for postage if I changed my mind and broke the contract by not wanting the item (But this would only apply if the item was the correct part). But the item is wrong and I have looked into this further. I have the part number that is need for my car and they give the part number for a VW Golf clutch. Because the engine codes are the same, they think the gearbox is the same and it simply is not! But getting them to understand this is like headbutting a brickwall.

So at current, I still have the clutch, but they are not moving on this and am unsure whether I should send the clutch back to them or wait until they agree to refund all my postage costs.

Hi V5,

the item they supplied is not fit for purpose and is not as described (it doesn't fit). They are being daft to be honest they pay peanuts for shipping.

As rebel has said

Who pays for returning the goods if the consumer cancels

an order?

3.55 If you want the consumer to return the goods and to pay for that

return, you must make it clear in the contract and as part of the

required written information – see paragraph 3.10. If the consumer

then fails to return the goods, or sends them at your expense, you

can charge them the direct cost to you of the return, even if you

have already refunded the consumer’s money. You are not allowed

to make any further charges, such as a restocking charge or an

administration charge.

3.56 If you did not include these details in the required written information

then you cannot charge anything. See paragraph 3.10. You can never

require consumers to pay the cost of returning substitute goods –

see paragraph 3.1 for more information.

3.57 If the goods are faulty or do not comply with the contract, you will

have to pay for their return whatever the circumstances.

I would contact the company/bank you used to pay for the clutch and make they aware of the dispute namely the goods are not what you ordered and hence don't comply with the contract. The onus is on the supplier to pay return postage no you.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2012/jan/20/section-75-chargeback

that should make them sit up and take notice.

I hope that helps

Mr P

Hi,

Whilst I know that you are in the right I sometimes feel that life is too short to spend it banging your head against a call centre reading from a script.

Parcels 2 go are very cheap and I have always found them to be efficent, ( although there is thread running that says outwise.)

There is an old saying that a satisfied customer tells no one, but a dissatisfied customer tells everyone. The fact that you have highlighted your problem here makes me cautious about dealing with carparts4less so their attitude has probably already cost them business.

A case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Martin g

Well, I have a reply from my email stating that they are legally wrong & got this response:

Dear Sir

Thank you for your email

We have spoken to our Manager and in this instance as a gesture of goodwill we will refund £5.00 off postage as per our terms and conditions the parts that are being returned are sent back at the customers own cost.

We have closed this matter on our end.

Kind Regards

Customer Service Team

Car Parts 4 Less

i would warn them first

something along the lines of

Dear sir or madam

i noticed with intrest your decision that the matter is closed

i would like to point out that although you consider the matter closed i do not

the item in question was not picked by myself but was picked by your system by way of my number plate as sutable to fit my car, you have failed to uphold your end of the contract as the clutch sent does not fit my car, therefore i am rejecting this part under the sale of goods act as not fit for purpose, as part of this i either require you to refund the FULL cost of return or to collect the item

if you decline to uphold your legal obligations then i regretfully inform you that i will apply for a full refund via a section 75 chargeback on my credit card, i understand this may cause a major inconvience to your business hence giving you this final chance to set things right

if your responce to this is in the negative and a section 75 is nessecery then i will of course make the clutch avaliable for collection however if it is not collected in a reasonable amount of time then i reserve the right to charge a storage fee ontop of the refund from my card, as this is a large item the fee will of course reflect this

thank you

-your name here-

please spell check first i am dyslexic, grammer may also need ot be checked

Please note:

• I am employed in the IT sector of a high street retail chain but am not posting in any official capacity,so therefore any comments,suggestions or opinions are expressly personal ones and should not be viewed as an endorsement or with agreement of any company.
  • i am not legal trained in any form.
  • I have many experiences in life and do often use these in my posts

if ive been helpful kick my scales, if ive been unhelpful kick the scales of the person more helpful :eek:

Right, just spoken to my card issuer and they claim I can't make a claim. They say because the part number they advertised and the part they sent are the same, they are saying I have got what I ordered. I pointed out that they state it will fit my car and it doesn't, so it's not fit for purpose. They disagree and say I got what I ordered I.e. The part numbers match!

Any ideas on what to do next?

They're being silly (card provider), they (company) refunded, so clearly it was the wrong part, what's the name of the Card Provider?

Right, just spoken to my card issuer and they claim I can't make a claim. They say because the part number they advertised and the part they sent are the same, they are saying I have got what I ordered. I pointed out that they state it will fit my car and it doesn't, so it's not fit for purpose. They disagree and say I got what I ordered I.e. The part numbers match!

Any ideas on what to do next?

The card is a visa debit from halifax. I have spoken to the CAB and they have said I am in the right as they have supplied me with the incorrect information. They advise to apply for a copy of their complaints procedure & get the name and address of their MD. I know it's only £25 - £30, but it's he principal of it all and them being so uncooperative is making me more determined to fight it out. Not just for me but all consumers who get dumped on by idiotic companies.

Hi The

Write a Formal Letter of Complaint mark it as such. Explain whats happened with as much detail as possible, how Halifax have let you down (Chargeback) and what you want them to do.

Send it to:-

David Nicholson, Managing Director

[email protected]

Here are some tips:- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1242161/How--write-letter-complaint.html

Just had a look at their tT&C's. They have sent me 5.3.2 as their compnay policy. But if you read 5.3 onwards, 5.3.2 only applies if I cancel the contract! I haven't cancelled the contract.

5.3 To cancel a Contract, you must:

5.3.1 inform us in writing;

5.3.2 return the Goods to us, in the same condition in which you received them with the original packaging and the product documentation, and at your own cost and risk. The Goods must not have been used and, where applicable, must not have been removed from the sealed clear packaging. This includes electrical items, which are supplied in sealed clear packaging; and

So, basically they don't understand their own terms and conditions, if you get no joy from the 'retailer' your next port of call is the 'card provider'.

Just had a look at their tT&C's. They have sent me 5.3.2 as their compnay policy. But if you read 5.3 onwards, 5.3.2 only applies if I cancel the contract! I haven't cancelled the contract.

5.3 To cancel a Contract, you must:

5.3.1 inform us in writing;

5.3.2 return the Goods to us, in the same condition in which you received them with the original packaging and the product documentation, and at your own cost and risk. The Goods must not have been used and, where applicable, must not have been removed from the sealed clear packaging. This includes electrical items, which are supplied in sealed clear packaging; and

I've stated this to them about the T&C's and their clause only applies if I cancel the contract. I also sent them that link you (rebel11) gave me to them and pointed out that it is down to them to pay for postage.

I await their reply to that. I did think about asking them what they would do if I ordered a clutch and they sent me a set of brake disc's. Would I be liable for the return postage then? I bet it is because I have ordered a clutch from their site and the clutch I ordered has arrived. But as we know, is not fit for purpose that it is advertised for.

Hi,

Whilst I know that you are in the right I sometimes feel that life is too short to spend it banging your head against a call centre reading from a script.

Parcels 2 go are very cheap and I have always found them to be efficent, ( although there is thread running that says outwise.)

There is an old saying that a satisfied customer tells no one, but a dissatisfied customer tells everyone. The fact that you have highlighted your problem here makes me cautious about dealing with carparts4less so their attitude has probably already cost them business.

A case of penny wise and pound foolish.

Martin g

There is another thread on CAG regarding a TV sent using parcels 2 go, it transpires if you read their T&C it directs you to a list of items they wont cover should they get broken, the list is VERY long and includes many items, so thought I'd issue a word of warning, it may be that other couriers also have such exclusions.

Andy

Your Card provider are shirking their responsibility, if they don't agree to help in this matter, then you need to lodge a complaint with the FOS (it will cost your Card provider £500 if you take this matter to the FOS), but you need to get a letter from the Card provider to say they can't help. You could ask the Card provider to send somebody around to fit the part, if they feel it is the correct part and 'fit for purpose'.

I've stated this to them about the T&C's and their clause only applies if I cancel the contract. I also sent them that link you (rebel11) gave me to them and pointed out that it is down to them to pay for postage.

I await their reply to that. I did think about asking them what they would do if I ordered a clutch and they sent me a set of brake disc's. Would I be liable for the return postage then? I bet it is because I have ordered a clutch from their site and the clutch I ordered has arrived. But as we know, is not fit for purpose that it is advertised for.

Now CarParts4Less refuse to talk to me. No replies to emails or letters. I have tried calling them and they put the phone down as soon as they bring up the order number! I have sent an email to David Nicholas of Halifax to request a chargeback as I have been misled by CarParts4Less as to the usage of the clutch. So I will wait and see what response I get from him.

Now CarParts4Less refuse to talk to me. No replies to emails or letters. I have tried calling them and they put the phone down as soon as they bring up the order number! I have sent an email to David Nicholas of Halifax to request a chargeback as I have been misled by CarParts4Less as to the usage of the clutch. So I will wait and see what response I get from him.

Hi V5,

just a quick thought does your invoice state the clutch is for your car? Does it mention your reg? If not I would get a screenshot of their site showing that it links to the part you received, just in-case things get messy.

Mr-P